Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Protools 6 white noise blasts - little help? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=52767)

roryrok 03-03-2003 10:03 PM

Protools 6 white noise blasts - little help?

im running a digi001 system on a dual 1ghz G4 and ive just installed protools 6 and when i open old sessions there are random full volume white noise explosions about half a second in length all over previously created sessions...

when i create new sessions tracks randomly drop out and fade back in and protools will randomly quit unexpectedly...

these are simple files with no automation, ive checked all my cable connections and moved my PCI card to a different slot. i've formatted my hard drive, reinstalled OSX and protoools, and the problem is still there exactly the same.

my system is a stock dual 1ghz processor G4 with an apple installed SCSI harddrive, my IDE drive is partitioned into OSX and OS9 sections. My OS9 5.1.1 version of protools works flawlessly.

as you can see im kinda out of ideas... am i the only person with this problem?

roryrok 03-03-2003 10:32 PM

Re: Protools 6 white noise blasts - little help?

also...

im running OSX 10.2.4

i'm NOT using any waves plugins (i read some other threads with similar problems, and that was the culprit in those cases)

ive encountered these problems with a freshly formatted drive with only OSX and protools installed on it

nostatic 03-03-2003 10:36 PM

I get the same thing with both MBox and 001 systems, new and old sessions. Haven't been able to figure it out yet, but I haven't tried very hard...I just use other software. Luckily I had a noise reduction project I had to use PT6 for and it behaved, but it was only 2 mono tracks. Seems like it starts to happen once I get 4 or more tracks going.

CCash 03-03-2003 10:41 PM

Search the answer base (links above) for white noise. These may or may not explain your particular problem.

roryrok 03-03-2003 11:01 PM

i searched a great many topics in the answerbase and came up with nothing... almost everything there was still addressing OS9 issues anyway, but i couldnt find anything helpful for OSX or anything i hadnt already tried

StainedClass 03-04-2003 01:09 AM

It makes scense that you did not find anything because we are on the bleeding edge.

If I call Digi support I get this...."uhhhh, could you hold please?' when I ask a basic question. the fact is, the people I get through to have no idea whats going on. they are just logging "incidents" and saying "we will work on it."

Some agents dont even know where basic interface items are. thats a far cry from the support I used to get with my first rig. I used to consider it the best support around....now its not worth the long distance. All questions end up getting ansewred here.

Will Russell 03-04-2003 04:46 AM

I've had the same problem with a PowerBook/MBox setup. I used to be able to run off a SmartDisk FireLite 40 Gig firewire even though it was only 4200rpm when using 5.2/OS 9.2.2. When I tried the same in OSX/PT6 I would ramdomly have these blasts of white noise that would make me rip my headphones off! First I thought it was the Waves plugins, but it was not. It was the drive. I can run off the internal system drive or a faster FireWire drive with no white noise.

The crashes and quits I'm still figuring out. So far, this setup is NOT stable enough for primetime.

Kling3 03-04-2003 05:33 AM

Well here is my experience-

I originally installed PT6 LE on a G4/466 OS 10.2.3 only, no OS9 on board. I swapped the internal IDE that I was using in my G3/450 with PT 5.1.1. I had a constant white noise that was way beyond normal along with a pop when PT was launched. The white noise was interrupted with mouse movements or any window changes or interface movements.

Someone suggested making sure I used balanced outs. So I bypassed my Mackie and low and behold the white noise was almost silent. Certainly within normal specs. Still had pop on launch however. I repatched my Mackie VLZ with balanced outs to the monitor amp and everything was still good. Why the difference between CPU's with regard to white noise and using balanced lines or not? I don't know. I never had this problem with my B&W G3 running 5.1.1. Do mother boards, chip sets, power supplies etc. play into this at all?

Last week I bought a new G4/dual 1.25 firewire 800, OSX (10.2.3) version only. Everything is quiet as a mouse! The dual processor makes a huge difference in performance. The CPU meter barely registers with PT demo. Smoooth! All my 5.1.1 sessions open up and play flawlessly. I have not upgraded Waves plugs yet so I don't know what effect the may have.

Check Digi compatibility docs with regard to your CPU, hard drive formatting specs etc. There is lots to pore over all. Use balanced line outs to the monitor at least. See if that helps. Good luck.

Baked Goods Records 03-04-2003 07:14 AM

I have the randow white noise blasts.. and random ramping up and down of volume too.. This way annoying.. I am usuing waves plugins.. But I have a feeling it has nothing to do with that.. I am using an internal scsi hard drive so I doubt its a firewire problem.. Who knows what it is..

Any word Digi?

G4 dual 500
512meg ram
digi001
osx 10.2.4

Any help would be apreciated
-James

logicprobe 03-04-2003 07:38 AM

James
Try using only IDE or FireWire drives. It may be a problem pulling audio off of SCSI.

lp