Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   SSL UC1 plugin controller (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415940)

Ben Jenssen 06-27-2021 11:48 AM

SSL UC1 plugin controller

I've been waiting for this exciting new product to show up on the DUC, but I can see nothing so far, so I'm starting this thread.

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/products/uc1

https://www.matrixproaudio.no/users/...lug_In_C_1.jpg

I've ordered one, and expecting it to arrive next week. I think this is going to be a game changer, at least for me. I see it like this; I'll plug it in, after having inserted SSL Native Channelstrip on every channel and Bus Compressor on sub mixes and master, and I turn off the computer screens.

Looking down on the Command8 and the UC1, I'll be able to mix with my ears and not my eyes, like in the old days with consoles. I expect to have immediate, intuitive control like never before with in-the-box mixing, from day one. No mouse, no screen. Navigation, transport and other plugins controlled via the Command8 like before - EQ and dynamics across the board w/UC1. Of course, I'll have to sit in front of the screen every now and then to arrange, prepare, edit and so on, but when mixing this will be heaven for me.

Oh, and I've owned the SSL Native plugins since last year, and I sware, I never heard anything like them. They just sound lovely, so I have no problem using them for all channels and busses. I can of course use any other PIs, but will have to control them via Command8 or with mouse/screen.

Big GearSpace thread about UC1:
https://gearspace.com/board/new-prod...ontroller.html

I'll report back when this baby is in my posession.
Anybody have it already? Please chime in.

albee1952 06-29-2021 08:36 AM

Re: SSL UC1 plugin controller

I've watched a few video demos and it looks very promising. I hope the channel strip plugin isn't a resource hog so you CAN use it across every track. I bought the new KIT plugin for Blackbird's Neve and it sounds great, BUT if I load up more than 20 or so, my system usage meter goes red:mad:

Ben Jenssen 06-29-2021 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2606057)
I've watched a few video demos and it looks very promising. I hope the channel strip plugin isn't a resource hog so you CAN use it across every track. I bought the new KIT plugin for Blackbird's Neve and it sounds great, BUT if I load up more than 20 or so, my system usage meter goes red:mad:

I've had the Native bundle since they were on sale last year, and besides sounding fantastic they are really easy on the cpu. Basically the two main reasons I see myself incorporating UC1 and the plugins in my workflow in a very fundamental way.

I cant find the thread now, but I remember getting feedback from Christopher, Southsidemusic, after I had praised the sound. After saying like "yea, yea. I heard every SSL emulation that's out there, and they're nothing like the real thing", he got back and said they had compared the plugins to their real ssl desk and were very surprised how close it was.

DetroitT 07-16-2021 09:35 AM

SSL 360 plugin, controller along with Eucon?
Hopefully not like HUI/C|24 meter loss when used with Eucontrol.

Ben Jenssen 07-19-2021 12:49 PM

Well, I finally got mine. I've had it for 24hrs now, I thought I'd share my initial reactions and thoughts.

It went like I expected, I plugged it in and it worked right away, as I had PT running with a session with SSL plugins and SSL 360 running also. It's built like a tank, looks lovely, only thing was the pots. They might not feel as solid as I expected, and also a very slight difference in the resistance on them. And the square buttons a tiny bit flimsy as well. But this are tiny, tiny issues that I forget about when I use it.

In use: If you've seen and used a channelstrip, there is almost nothing to it, you can dive right in. Navigating is easy, displays are loud and clear, feedback on values are easy to see.

Together with my 8 fader Command 8, I can now look away from the screen when mixing, or turn it off. This is provided that the session has been set up correctly. This is the one thing that require some work for things work. F.ex you need to have the channelstrip plugin instantiated on all active tracks and they have to be active, not bypassed. If not the solo function on the UC1 will not function correctly as it works on the 360 app and not the solo in PT. 360 is like a 'shell' between PT and UC1 which administers activity between UC1 and every instance of the plugins you have in PT. Or any other DAW for that matter, as this thing can switch instantly between DAWs. And one must remember to solo-safe bus compressors on submixes. Also done in 360, not w/PT's solo-safe.

I mixed away all night. I really feel it gives me speed, and a flow that lets me mix better! I can hear the results. I think I'm pushing limits more also, because I'm not looking at curves and values so much, and the plugins can take it, extreme settings, no problem. I can go thru tracks eq'ing and compressing, solo'ing, latch solo'ing more tracks, all on the UC1. Clear all solo's with a click of a button. And of course control my bus compressors, it just works.

On the Command 8 I have the transport, faders, mute, solo, pans and sends to navigate the big picture, and control other plugins.

The only times you need the PT screens are to insert plugins, change routings, things like that.

But the main thing, overshadowing everything else is that it lets me focus on what I'm hearing in a totally different way than when I'm using half my brain looking at tons of on-screen info. Makes a world of difference. And it's why I got it.

I'm loving it.

albee1952 07-20-2021 08:05 AM

Thanks for sharing that. You're making me jealous:D

Ben Jenssen 07-31-2021 09:30 AM

Following up after three weeks of using UC1 with PT:

Generally, it works very good. The feel of the pots and buttons is great. LED indicators give great visual feedback. Even with my failing eyesight, I can almost put my glasses away and mix. The only exception is the smallest items in the menus on the display; presets and routing, I need glasses to see properly. Almost everything goes on muscle memory. I agree that it's a bit strange that it doesn't have a on/off switch, but it has automatic sleep mode w/a screen saver w/SSL logo, so I just keep it turned on most of the time. (As I do with much of my mac/peripherals.)

(I'm getting the stupid "Access denied" error, so I'm splitting up this long post.)

Ben Jenssen 07-31-2021 09:31 AM

With PT, I think it's essential that UC1 is combined with a DAW controller of some kind, otherwise you have to have a mouse in one hand and your eyes on the screen most of the time; for transport, pan, sends and so on. With the Session set up like it should, I can turn on a nice screen saver, and mix away. I say it again, it's amazing how much "better" I listen when I don't have a screen.

I use the C insert slot for SSL plugins. Channelstrip on tracks, and Bus Compressor on sub mixes. Everything has SSL on the C slot. With only A-E showing, I have two slots free above and two below.

This takes me to the solo function on the UC1. I think it's one it's best features. OK I have solo and mute on the Command8, but having it right next to EQ and dynamics makes the workflow even smoother and faster.

BUT, the solo function takes me to quirks and things that could be better. The UC1 communicates with any SSL plugins you have active, on any DAW (!) you have running. It does not control anything else. So when I press solo on a track on UC1, it tells all other SSL plugins to stop the flow of audio thru them. It's completely independant of the solo/mute in PT. Therefore it's important to have SSL Channelstrip on every track, otherwise it won't work. Of course I also use solo/mute on the Command8 which sets PT solo/mutes, so with two independant solo systems, I often found in the beginning that solo/mute didn't work because I'd forgotten a setting on the "other" solo/mute system. It's barely a problem anymore. This is also one of the things that makes the UC1 not for everone, I think. It sort of demands that you play by it's rules. If you are creating tracks and re-routing all the time you'd be loosing the solo function pretty much. But it suits me fine, as I don't do much tracking and creative work anymore. I mostly enjoy digging up old material from my studio days or helping a friend now and then with a mix.

Other things that could be better; The SSL 360˚ application seems a little "unfinished". It displays all instances of SSL plugins - in the order they were created. So if I decide to create a new channelstrip in PT, it will be last in the 360, and last on the UC1, no matter it's placement in PT. You have to re-order it manually in 360 or close and reopen the session and it will sort correctly.

Because of the separate solo functionality, you must also remeber to solo-safe channelstrips in the 360 app, if their tracks are solo-safed in PT.

I mostly use the channel selector on UC1 because it's fast and easy. But I can also easily select what track is focused on UC1 from the Command8. Click "Insert", then C (but mostly it's already on C) then "Select" on the track I want; s, 2-3 clicks. BUT, and this is another quirk; only if there is a plugin window open in PT.

I shurely hope it's possible for SSL/Avid to get a better integration with PT. One can always hope. But don't get me wrong; this is the best investment I've done, ever!!!

The flow in working with this controller gives me more and more love for the plugins. The speed and flow has me discovering more of their versatility and power. It invites me to push, like I wouldn't do on screen, somehow. I'm rediscovering the filter section, which sounds great, and the dynamics section which is SO powerful. Again, pushing the limits, and it can take it. And my mixes sound better, I think.

albee1952 07-31-2021 05:19 PM

I would copy this entire post and send it to SSL. I bet they would welcome all the suggestions they can get at this early stage of the game:D

lydpik 08-02-2021 07:58 AM

That's great, good idea! :) Hopefully they are listening... No updates on the 360 software, so far... :o

unkJE 08-11-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lydpik (Post 2609420)
That's great, good idea! :) Hopefully they are listening... No updates on the 360 software, so far... :o

UC1 and SSL 360° (version 1.2)
https://www.solidstatelogic.com/prod...dsandDocuments

SSL release version 1.0.55 - (previously version 6.5)
SSL Native Channel Strip 2
https://store.solidstatelogic.com/pr...ents#documents

SSL Native Bus Compressor 2

https://store.solidstatelogic.com/pr...?tab=documents

Ben Jenssen 08-11-2021 07:12 PM

I've had the last version running fora week or two (hard to be precise in these hazy times), and everything seems to work okay. Nothing in the way of changes in functionality as far as I can tell. Plenty of bug fixes, according to the release notes.

Ben Jenssen 08-19-2021 12:10 PM

Back to the UC1.
I'm still loving it.

Here's a post I made on Gearspace UC1 thread:

A simple thing that makes the UC1 - Command 8 combination so wonderful for me:
I have my setup in my living room.
I have my controllers in the sweet spot in front of a TV and 2nd display and Dynaudio monitors on each side. I stand when I mix.

I'm relaxing and watching sports on the TV from a sofa in the back of the room, and I get up to fix myself a drink. As I pass the controllers, I recall that I have Pro Tools running in the background with a session open. I hit 'play' on the C8, and I'm immediately mixing. I see nothing of PT on my screens. I can select tracks on the UC1 - and I can edit other plugins and sends/volume/pan and transport on the C8.

Screens still showing just the sports. (BTW. It's a TV but it only acts as a display for the mac and I use a browser for TV along with PT and everything else.)

Of course, this is possible because Command 8 can talk directly to PT, even if PT is not the active application.

Ben Jenssen 08-19-2021 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
UC1, Native plugins, SSL360 software, and CPU performance.

Attached is a screenshot of a session running on the mac in my signature.

Just under 30 tracks of audio, each of them with SSL Channelstrip on them and two submixes with SSL Bus compressor. All tracks also have four sends on them.

Playback engine settings:
HW buffer: 64
Optimize perf at low buffer: off
Ignore errors: off
Dynamic processing: off
Video engine off
Disk cache 3gb

Session resides on internal flash drive w/2500gb/s r/w speeds.

Activity Monitor shows PT using 90-100%

I have Activity Monitor, Firefox, mail, and a few other apps running in parallel. Firefox has a couple of full screen windows open with tabs, on separate spaces, one of them running Eurosport live stream tennis from Cincinnati. 6i6 interface handles all audio.

Also, I have the Turbo Boost Switcher, and have disabled TB to have the fan silent. I've mesured that to cost me up to 15-20% in loss of single-core CPU performance.

Conclusion:
These plugins are not only some of the best sounding PIs I know, but they seem to be very well made and extremely light on the CPU. Notice the plugin latency compensation. None.

Attachment 14799

EddieJones 09-03-2021 10:19 AM

I had a play with this and the 8 fader unit with PT. Obviously I'm biased being the Product Manager and Designer of EUCON Surfaces but heres a conversation starter ;-)

• High 90 degree front edge, nearly 2 inches of the table and very wide(8 fader unit)
• They are really basic HUI, 4 knobs only, our channel strip plugin has 13 pages of 4 knobs! I thought they would have done something clever like we did on the MCPro and scanned the knobs and shown 8 at a time.
• The knobs on both units are not touch sense, you have to move them to start writing automation and you really have to be in Latch only so no auto match. Along with the above I found the 8 Fader unit useless for plugin control
• Pan is one knob at a time so for a stereo tracks you have to switch between the L and R knob and no surround panning knobs (its HUI)
• The Faders are easily as noisy as the S1, you can feel the teeth of the belt as you move them too(which is far worse than S1) I suspect cheap Penny and Giles but will find out later
• Theres a reason it has a lot of buttons…..you need them to navigate, theres none of the EUCON plugin/attention automated stuff
• The Channel Plugin Module can only control one set of plugins…the SSL Channel and Bus Compressor and for it to work correctly you need to put it on every track as it communicates through the plugin for much of the workflow (cause HUI doesn’t), again no touch on the knobs
• Again….its basic HUI so nothing like VCAs, Folders, multi track meters, layouts, automation feedback etc.
• The 360 App for setting up the 8 softkeys, firmware update etc is OK but pretty basic.

I really think this is like buying a Ferrari kit car….it looks great from a distance but as soon as you get close and start to use it, its just a Berringer underneath.

I'd love to hear what users like about them that we could improve on Avids surfaces?

Ben Jenssen 09-03-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieJones (Post 2612455)
I had a play with this and the 8 fader unit with PT. Obviously I'm biased being the Product Manager and Designer of EUCON Surfaces but heres a conversation starter ;-)

I see you have your point of view, coming from where you're coming from, and I thank you for taking an open position, but I created this thread to discuss the UC1 and the plugins it controls, and your points are mainly on the UF8 it seems to me.

And that is where our angles of view part from the very beginning. I don't have a UF8 and never tried it. I use the old Command|8 together w/UC1 to give me as much control as I can without screen and mouse. That's what I've been dreaming of, and this is the closest I've come. With UC1 and the SSL channelstrip across the mix I have the direct feel, muscle-memory, speed and flow of mixing w/PT that I haven't experienced since before the age of DAWs. Direct channelstrip control on every channel, and levels, pan, sends, transport and other plugins on the Command|8.

The dedicated character of the controller to the SSL plugins is uniqe and it's what makes it works so good. You can have umpteen pages of control on your universial controllers, I doubt that people use them much. It's easier to grab the mouse.

It must be said; UC1 might suit one's workflow or it might not. Nowadays, I'm mainly having fun mixing old recordings from back when I had a studio, so pure mixing, and it's pure gold. With a more creative dynamic type of work, you'd probably find that you need the screen/mouse method more.

JGM 10-07-2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2612487)
I see you have your point of view, coming from where you're coming from, and I thank you for taking an open position, but I created this thread to discuss the UC1 and the plugins it controls, and your points are mainly on the UF8 it seems to me.

And that is where our angles of view part from the very beginning. I don't have a UF8 and never tried it. I use the old Command|8 together w/UC1 to give me as much control as I can without screen and mouse. That's what I've been dreaming of, and this is the closest I've come. With UC1 and the SSL channelstrip across the mix I have the direct feel, muscle-memory, speed and flow of mixing w/PT that I haven't experienced since before the age of DAWs. Direct channelstrip control on every channel, and levels, pan, sends, transport and other plugins on the Command|8.

The dedicated character of the controller to the SSL plugins is uniqe and it's what makes it works so good. You can have umpteen pages of control on your universial controllers, I doubt that people use them much. It's easier to grab the mouse.

It must be said; UC1 might suit one's workflow or it might not. Nowadays, I'm mainly having fun mixing old recordings from back when I had a studio, so pure mixing, and it's pure gold. With a more creative dynamic type of work, you'd probably find that you need the screen/mouse method more.

Sorry if I missed it, but what version of PT are you running?
Great insights BTW. You have me checking Reverb for Command 8s. lol

Ben Jenssen 10-07-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGM (Post 2615519)
Sorry if I missed it, but what version of PT are you running?
Great insights BTW. You have me checking Reverb for Command 8s. lol

I'm kinda new to the C8 myself. I bought it a couple of years ago because it was so cheap. Not using it much, but seeing that it seems to work very solidly on PT10 aswell as 2020. It's just made for PT, and using midi for control, it seems that that's the factor that makes it so reliable across versions. Then I discovered that the UC1 and C8 combo really put me in a position to mix off screen/mouse, I've gotten more into it, and I love it.

JGM 10-07-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2615521)
I'm kinda new to the C8 myself. I bought it a couple of years ago because it was so cheap. Not using it much, but seeing that it seems to work very solidly on PT10 aswell as 2020. It's just made for PT, and using midi for control, it seems that that's the factor that makes it so reliable across versions. Then I discovered that the UC1 and C8 combo really put me in a position to mix off screen/mouse, I've gotten more into it, and I love it.

Thanks for response.
I wonder if it will be the same with the latest version of PT?

Ben Jenssen 10-07-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGM (Post 2615534)
Thanks for response.
I wonder if it will be the same with the latest version of PT?

I'm certain it works. I think it's more work for Avid to take the code out of Pro Tools than to leave it in, and there would have to be a specific reason to do it. MIDI LIVES! :D
At least until MIDI 2.0, the Command|8 will work. With PT as it does w/other DAWs. Because it speaks MIDI.

JGM 10-07-2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2615536)
I'm certain it works. I think it's more work for Avid to take the code out of Pro Tools than to leave it in, and there would have to be a specific reason to do it. MIDI LIVES! :D
At least until MIDI 2.0, the Command|8 will work. With PT as it does w/other DAWs. Because it speaks MIDI.

Ah ok.
Good to know.
Thanks

JorgeGutierrezMix 01-05-2022 03:20 PM

Ben, Hello. Did you try to use pro tools midi learn in conjunction with UC1? Im curious if I can assign the uc1 to another channel strips like PA ones. I was able to do that on my command 8 to make muscle memory but im interest on getting a UC1.Thanks

Ben Jenssen 01-06-2022 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeGutierrezMix (Post 2624610)
Ben, Hello. Did you try to use pro tools midi learn in conjunction with UC1? Im curious if I can assign the uc1 to another channel strips like PA ones. I was able to do that on my command 8 to make muscle memory but im interest on getting a UC1.Thanks

I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty shure it won't work, simply because, in my experience most plugins don't have the midi learn function. Most virtual instrument plugins do, but most others don't. All my plugins show up on my command8, but that's pre-programmed into the plugin, and can't be edited as far as I know.

It's been speculated that SSL might colaborate with other channelstrip manufacturers to make UC1 work with them, but personally I think it will never happen.

albee1952 01-06-2022 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2624657)
I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty shure it won't work, simply because, in my experience most plugins don't have the midi learn function. Most virtual instrument plugins do, but most others don't. All my plugins show up on my command8, but that's pre-programmed into the plugin, and can't be edited as far as I know.

It's been speculated that SSL might colaborate with other channelstrip manufacturers to make UC1 work with them, but personally I think it will never happen.

My thoughts exactly and the easy way to check is to open any plugin you are curious about and right-click on any control to see if Midi Learn is an option:o One possible solution here would be to use a Presonus Faderport V2 with neyrinck's V-Control Pro as it has a great feature for the knob(or fader) controlling any knob you hover your mouse over(but I have no idea if there will be any conflict between HUI devices).

Ben Jenssen 01-07-2022 04:18 AM

Of course,, it would have been fantastic if we could use the UC1 on any channelstrip plugin, but then, there would always be parameters that would not fit the layout on UC1 so it'd never be perfect.

I've settled with using SSL as the prime channelstrip on all "source" tracks (Audio and VI's), and bus compressor on most aux'es. I don't use channelstrip on aux'es because it's a little inconvenient with the solo function on ssl/360 and solo-safe'ing. All "source" tracks have on inserts:
A: VU meter with trim/phase/filters++. -18dbfs calibration.
B: Reserved for "flavour" plug, like 'preamp' plugs, tape emu's - trying out Kazrog True Iron now, very nice.
C: SSL Native Channelstrip.
Anything else goes on D-J.
Works very nicely.

albee1952 01-08-2022 08:20 AM

FWIW, I got a reply back from neyrinck saying that there should be no conflict with having multiple HUI devices, so using a faderport 2 for plugin control gets a little more attractive:o