Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   System migration (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=209946)

borez 11-20-2007 08:11 AM

System migration

I'm currently updating a clients studio from G4's dual 800mhz ( I think ) to Mac Pros, the client is using the old 882 and 888 interfaces with a digi PCI card.

Is it therefore possible to directly port the cards and interfaces to his new machines?? And if there are problems, what are they?

mixer 11-20-2007 08:16 AM

Re: System migration

mac pros are pcie. pcix won't work in them..

borez 11-20-2007 08:20 AM

So what's the solution? The only one I can work out is to buy a new digi PCI card with a 192 i/o and use the legacy slot for the 888's

But that's like, a £7000 job, for an interface that's only worth a couple of hundred quid??

I can buy apogees for that sort of money?

Are there any PCI external adapters that can be used?

DigiTechSupt 11-20-2007 08:38 AM

This will not work - a Mac Pro requires running an OS that has no comparable version of Pro Tools that will work with it.

borez 11-20-2007 05:01 PM

So therefore... My client is screwed?

Does an upgrade path exist? I mean considering my client is a fifteen years loyal Pro tools user, then you'd think that it would?

sleadley 11-20-2007 07:22 PM

Not to be unkind. But you would have to think that a system that is that old has served the owner well. So you could leave it as it is or buy a new system or even, as you suggest, cobble together a system from the bits you have. We have been upgrading our systems over time and make sure we factor it into the cost of doing business. It is not really Digidesign's problem. That system will still work fine for certain tasks. Perhaps they should buy a new system and put the old one on ebay. But I don't see this as Digidesign's problem. There have been upgrade offers in the past that would have allowed this system to be upgraded.
my 2c
Simon L.

borez 11-22-2007 09:36 AM

I'm in no way saying it's a Digi prob ( well apart from the horrendously overpriced gear?? ) . It's just that my client thinks that he can basically chuck his old digi bits in a new system and they'll still work?

We are talking two studios and a mastering room here with 8 x 888 i/o's and a couple of 882's which as you can well understand to buy the equivalent new is a pretty ridiculous sum of money

If I had my way I'd migrate him totally to Logic Pro and 8 Focusrite saffires pro's but...

Anyway

Let me get this straight, Prop-tools will only work with it's own interfaces y/n?

Also: Can anyone tell me about the 003 system, can it still run all the TDM plug-ins, looks like for the cost he'll probably have to go this route.

;0)

abre 11-22-2007 02:15 PM

If you keep up this aggressive manner no one would help you. Protools systems are definately proprietary. A digi 003 is a Protols Le system and cannot run TDM plugins. Your client is free to choose Logic 8 if he needs it.

scottgreiner 11-23-2007 03:45 AM

Quote:

Let me get this straight, Prop-tools will only work with it's own interfaces y/n?

Also: Can anyone tell me about the 003 system, can it still run all the TDM plug-ins, looks like for the cost he'll probably have to go this route.

;0)

Both Lynx and Apogee make Protools compatible interface options. 003 is Protools LE - It's a native system, so no TDM. Most of the TDM plugins also run as RTAS - but not all. Sounds like maybe you should contact an authorized dealer to educate yourself and your client about their options before spending. Upgrades are just part of the price of doing business I'm afraid. If your client NEEDS TDM, you don't have too many options. If they can get by with a native system, the options are too numerous to discuss here.

Best of luck

docric 11-24-2007 08:21 PM

Mytek also....