Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   3rd-Party Video Capture (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=6983)

Mixr 11-16-2000 07:15 PM

3rd-Party Video Capture

I'm currently specifying my 24/mixplus for use in video sweetening.

The PT compatability docs list the Aurora Fuse and MiroMotion 30 cards as qualified capture devices. Given my reluctance to fork over 7-13K$ for integrated video, I'd be interested in hearing any user experiences with either card. As long as it meets my I/O and resolution needs are there any dark sides when compared with the 'big iron' AV options??

PTPerson 11-17-2000 02:10 PM

Re: 3rd-Party Video Capture

The DC30+ works fantastically!.

I would definately recommend this for people doing mix to flicks.

Compression rates are down to 2:1.

however if you're laying back audio over the vision you can capture at a high compression rate and still have a decent enough picture to edit and mix too.

I definately recommend the DC30+.

You'll need Machine control software, a USD and Premiere to capture your vision. (If you want rock solid sync)

Also on the Premiere side you'll need "ProVTR" which is premiere plug in to control decks.

Camilo Orozco 11-17-2000 03:32 PM

Any USB or Firewire solution???

jimlongo 11-18-2000 12:03 AM

I am going to suggest you use the search engine and find lots of info on capture cards. No offense, but there are reams of information there already.

The approved cards work very well, I have a DC30plus, I would never use videotape to work with again. I believe that the AV Option is only real valuable if you need to import raw AVID sessions.
There are also tales of firewire to convertor box or camcorder.

jim

meshtheflesh 11-19-2000 09:47 PM

PT PERSON SAID "You'll need Machine control software, a USD and Premiere to capture your vision. (If you want rock solid sync)"

Just curious...why do you need these things for rock solid sync. I am doing short form stuff (nice word for ads!) so I don't have a problem, as the picture are conformed, and lock to my apogee clock. How are you doing it?

cheers

Ramesh

Peter Steinbach 11-23-2000 09:25 PM

Whether you use the DC30 or the Fuse (I use the fuse) your life will become MUCH easier. It's worth every penny you spend.
Personally, I digitize from a 3/4" (locked to a Horita sync generator - $300 US or so) using premier 5.1 LE which comes bundled with the fuse card. No machine control. I work on projects 40 min or so, and experience no drift whatsoever. I have also digitized 30 sec spots from VHS on an ordinary VCR (no external sync) with no problems.
Jump in, you'll love it.
-p

Ah yes, I use an MTP AV, way cheaper than a USD. Its a hassle with a G4, but the headache is worth saving $1500 US.

[This message has been edited by Peter Steinbach (edited November 23, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Peter Steinbach (edited November 24, 2000).]

PTPerson 11-24-2000 12:11 AM

First I capture the vision using Premiere and ProVTR, this keeps the vision in time by reading the time code burn off the USD.

Secondly I layup the audio to ProTools, using Machine control and the USD.

Then i'll phase lock the bible audio track to the multitrack session

Import the vision into ProTools.

Edit, Spot, Mix etc etc etc.

Layback the audio onto the VTR using Machine Control and the USD. (BTW, if you're laying back using PT 5 there are some machine control quirks, like wrong track numbers........bizaaaare)

Mesh, how do you layup and layback without Machine Control?

How do you get frame accurate vision without Premiere and ProVTR?

http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by PTPerson (edited November 24, 2000).]