Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Licensing & Accounts (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Avid Pro Tools 9 upgrade (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=419713)

josefka 04-25-2022 05:41 AM

Avid Pro Tools 9 upgrade

Hi everyone, I've been following you for a long time but I just registered to ask you a question.
I have the possibility to buy a version of Avid Pro Tools 9 at a good price, never used, with registration card but without the ilok key (according to the seller it was stolen). My question is can I upgrade it for free to the latest version of Pro tools? Thanks

EGS 04-25-2022 07:25 AM

Re: Avid Pro Tools 9 upgrade

Quote:

Originally Posted by josefka (Post 2634033)
... without the ilok key (according to the seller it was stolen)...

No. Do not buy it.

josefka 04-25-2022 10:01 AM

Thank you for your answer. So you think it's a lousy deal? Why do you think so?

Darryl Ramm 04-25-2022 12:04 PM

Why? Because the deal stinks like a rotting fish head, you don't know if the registration card was ever used or not. Possibly a scammer looking for a chump to sell an empty box to. If on eBay almost certainly a scammer. Lost iLok story is uh "convenient".

Why? because you cannot upgrade any Pro Tools 9 or similar license even if you were willing to pay (possible exception of you can find a dealer with old promotional reinstatements still in stock)

Why? "For Free" What? That is ancient commercial software, why would any vendor give you a free upgrade?

Pro Tools licensing is complex, if you have no idea what you are doing you should purchase a license or subscription through an authorized dealer, and the sales reps there can answer any questions.

sdelsolray 04-25-2022 06:54 PM

Yes, do not buy it. The "never used, with registration card but without the ilok key" is a dead giveaway of a scam. If it was never registered it would not have a license deposited by Avid with iLok (and not have a particular iLok dongle with that registration). Scam.

josefka 04-26-2022 12:44 AM

Okay, I understand now, thank you all, I'll let it go.
I have a Pro tools 2018 student license, so I will try to find an Avid Pro Tools Perpetual 1-Year Updates + Support Plan Reinstatement. I saw one on Ebay by the way.

albee1952 04-26-2022 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josefka (Post 2634110)
Okay, I understand now, thank you all, I'll let it go.
I have a Pro tools 2018 student license, so I will try to find an Avid Pro Tools Perpetual 1-Year Updates + Support Plan Reinstatement. I saw one on Ebay by the way.

Plenty of them on eBay, but always buy from a reputable seller. Some examples"
Alto Music
Sweetwater
Parsons Audio
Vintage King
GC Pro(Nashville)
Dale Pro Audio
G Sharp