Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   48voices 2DSP problems (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=187602)

Frank of Denmark 01-22-2007 06:30 AM

48voices 2DSP problems

Has anyone experienced problems, like small random click noises, when running 48voices-2DSP ? I have no problem when running 24voices 1DSP. I have HD3 and all cards passed in the digi test. But what is really weird is that they are in reverse order, I mean, slot 0 accel2, slot1 accel1 and slot2 core. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I'm using a Magma for the cards, since I'm using my laptop. Other than that, PT is running fine. Can anyone help ?

Cheers,

Frank

DigiTechSupt 01-22-2007 08:30 AM

Re: 48voices 2DSP problems

Which Magma chassis is this? Which model Mac are you using? Which Pro Tools version?

Frank of Denmark 01-22-2007 09:11 AM

This is what I got

Magma Expansion Chassis 4 slot
Digidesign ProTools HD Accel3
ver. 7.3.1

Apple Powerbook 17’ 1.5Ghz, 1.5GB
Digidesign 96i AD Interface
Apogee Rosetta 800 incl HD card

I inherited all the equipment from my dad-in-law, Thomas Koppel. You might have refference files/e-mails from/to him, since he had the same problem as I'm experiencing now, just before he died. I know he was in constant corespondance with Digidesign in LA (see attached Fedex file in e-mail I found in his computer).

I think that Thomas thought that the problem was the Magma or wavebundles (he had removed all the waves when I got hold on his computer). But I'm not sure, as he died suddenly. We had to clean up small click noises on his his latest recording "Improvisations for piano", he made before his death. I mastered it with Leon Zevros at Sterling sound in NY.

Feel free to listen to a sample from it
http://www.myspace.com/thomaskoppel

kind regards from Copenhagen

Frank

DigiTechSupt 01-24-2007 10:39 AM

Does this possibly apply?

NOTICE: The Magma Engineering and Compatibility Test Group has determined that some Pro Tools users with Magma CardBus card (PN: 01-04551-02) and the current PCI bridge on the expansion chassis, may experience computer lock-up or clicks and pops in audio when using Playback Engine sizes of 2 or more DSPs. The Magma Engineering and Compatibility Test Group has also determined these issues may be alleviated by swapping out the original Magma CardBus card (PN: 01-04551-02) with a different version of the Magma CardBus card (PN: 01-04551-03).

Frank of Denmark 02-26-2007 03:43 AM

No. Unfortunately.

And the popsandclicks.doc from DigiDesign, that Magma send me, is not reffering to my setup.

I should mention, that I have no other problem than the cliks. PT is running fine. But the clicks appear all the time. Also when I'm not recording or playing back. I also got the Platinum wave bundle.

What's strange is that PT only works when HDcore is in slot2, accel in 1 & 0. Shouldn't it be the other way around ? (HDcore in slot 0 and so on)

Up until yesterday, my 3 cards (core,2xaccel) passed in the digitest But this morning I had failure on the core card
(PT is still running fine though, beside the clicks)

Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 9 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (9977345). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 10: Failed-Pattern 1 not started (9989635). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 11: Failed-Pattern 1 not started (9989635). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 12: Failed-Pattern 1 not started (9989635). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 13: Failed-Pattern 1 not started (10014214). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 14: Failed-Pattern 1 not started (10042881). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 15: Failed-Pattern 1 not started (10042881). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 16: Failed-Pattern 1 not started (9989635). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 1 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 2 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 3 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 4 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 5 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 6 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 7 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 8 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 9 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 10 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 11 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 12 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 13 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 14 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 15 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)
Peripheral Digital Loopback Test Channel 16 : Failed-Pattern 1 not started (0). (failed 4 times)

Hope to hear from you asap
Frank

dtmprod 02-26-2007 06:29 AM

I have a Magma chassis as well. Don't know if my setup is similar, but I used to have stability problems using 48 voice setting. I've had good luck keeping it at multiples of 32 (64, 96). Try it, see if it makes a difference.

Frank of Denmark 02-26-2007 06:41 AM

thanks,

you use more than 1 DSP, right? in 88 and 96 khz?

I have HD3 ver 7.3.1
Mac PowerPC G4 1.5GB Ghz
1.5GB SDRAM
Magma 4 slot

I'm going crazy about this...

Frank of Denmark 02-28-2007 08:30 AM

Thanks for tip, but it didn't solve it

Frank of Denmark 02-28-2007 08:38 AM

I would be grateful for an answer ASAP

Another thing, clicks seems to appear lesser when I'm in 44.1, using more than 1 DSP. They are still there, but not as much as in 88 or 96. Is there anything I can rule out ? I mean, it could be 1 out of a thousands things thats causing this. When I'm contacting Magma, they tell me to check with DigiDesign, and the other way around.

It would be great to narrow it down to what's most likely causing this, before I go out and buy a new computer, RAM, HD cards, TDM cables, computer drive etc etc :O) if you know what I mean

Hope to hear from you ASAP

cheers

F

soloan 03-05-2007 04:50 AM

Hi Frank,
I've got similar problem too.
My computer is G5 2G Dual with 2.5G ram, OS is 10.3.8
The Protools system is HD3(the old one, not accel) with 192I/O.
The Protools software is 6.9.1
When I use 1 DSP 48 voice, there is no problem. But when I use more than one DSP (2 DSP 96 voice; 3 DSP 96 voice) and use excessive plugins (like 16 voice of LinEQ),the next track i apply plugin will have a loud loud steady white noise thing. The noise is always louder than original signal on that track!!!!
I tried swapping the order of the process cards, doesn't help. The problem doesn't apply only to LinEQ. It also happens on GML EQ and some other plugins.

I tried unplug one process card and the noise appears at around the 20th to 24th voice of track even if i didn't apply any plugin on any track. and the noise is like a digital loop which glows louder after a few seconds.

DigiTech please help!!!!~~~!!!!
My clients keep on complaining about this!!!!!

Thanks

Soloan