Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Eleven Rack Editor (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=383525)

57Stratocaster 08-20-2016 02:19 AM

Eleven Rack Editor

Eleven Rack Editor
Even though easily showing a couple unique IDs by USB/11R serial numbers as when loading expansion packs or USB port associations etc as can be seen on logs and other tools OS/X El Capitan has embedded, device differentiation is a reality.

So with iMac logs etc showing device differentiation, i would think coding a solution, so a user would be able to switch between 11 racks using the EDITOR would be a well thought out cinch or intern level fix. At least include the ability to differentiate and control multiple 11 racks (human friendly labeling could be added by the user to the editor GUI ("device list") for easy tracking of what unit is under "11R editor control" at that moment.

Currently, I have to turn off 11R number one after using the editor, then restart the 11R editor to control unit number 2 :p WHY, can't i have a drop down in the GUI for quick jumps between units, or allow multiple editor GUI's to be on top or on screen, or absent from view once done using it.

One would assume....ASSUME that the editor could or should detect 11R's that may be operating simultaneously without interference or INTERFERING with other digital interfaces that may be in play. is it me or is a fx V2.0 possible? - 57....outta here

Benoni 08-20-2016 09:26 AM

Re: Eleven Rack Editor

Is it possible? Yeah, almost anything is possible in code.

Is it set up that way now? No. The editor is not meant to be able to switch between multiple Eleven Racks.

57Stratocaster 08-22-2016 10:10 AM

Well, so what do i do switch to a different product lines? Fractal and who? Nuendo? etc Perhaps this possibility was not included as originally thought out or thought as unnecessary at the time of original spec to gold release or Ver 1.0 (what, so 11 R's suck so bad one would not think of owning multiple units?...i don't find that to be the case -properly dialed in they kick booty).

I have been using analog outs to AD's @ same and higher rates of sampling via "chipped" Rane 1U mixers to Burl AD, or Apollo. Cool, but time to play with digital I/O direct from the 11 R's trying at least for 96K on down using USB I/O from multiple 11 R's + other sources at once instead of ...analog, patch cables etc...when not required.

Scenario, a "garage band" it's 3AM when power is sweet, guitars through 11 R's bass using one also, vocals direct to required source via analog to an A/D and it should all roll up fine into latest PT, and the Editor.

I think the editor is cool AND on the gear i have the iMacs w/I7 blah blah it works GREAT no glitches or anything instant changes using one unit as stated before. But damn if you are using remote located gear, (located in a "quiet room" for the digital gear, servers and dig audio, cooling, AC power sweetening, etc), its a tad of a PIA to run to room do this and that to do crap such as babysitting sitting in front of them (OR other manufacturers that are "compatible with each other...gawd it's like troubleshooting windows issues) wasting person hours, it blows chunks (1970/80's vintage). My lazy booty prefers doing it from the mixing locale where i keep my PNW, brewed beer.

All my current products are all from the AVID family, scarlett is now iOS only. perhaps it is time to further think it though for an update Ver. SP-1 or Ver 1.0x, go third party devs/coders if outta staff (but test the heck outta their stuff).

I think it's a reasonable request, if the nerds and geeks are working on a new hardware product to replace 11R, I would hope compatibility would be paramount with older but "current" tech. Such as Editor compatibility, 11R rigs/files blah.. - if you write one for a new hardware product that has different or unique to AVID global or PT offerings 11R users might benefit from. Multiple units, cuz some us us dummies have more than one! - Thanks Benoni - enough whining from me on this
G.D.

Darryl Ramm 08-22-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57Stratocaster (Post 2376877)
Well, so what do i do switch to a different product lines? Fractal and who? Nuendo? etc Perhaps this possibility was not included as originally thought out or thought as unnecessary at the time of original spec to gold release or Ver 1.0 (what, so 11 R's suck so bad one would not think of owning multiple units?...i don't find that to be the case -properly dialed in they kick booty).

You want a pair of Fractal FX II, you pay your $4.5k and Fractal will ship them to you. Easy. An excellent product with great ongoing development and support. Or if you want a what the Eleven Rack Mk II might have looked like go grab a pair of Line 6 Helix rack for around $2,800. Again easy. Both come with much better support than you'll get from Avid. The Eleven Rack is still a great processor and at around $200-$300 used/street price it is a bargain. Everybody should have one (or two). And a Nuendo license... is $1,800, again you just order it. I'm not sure what Nuendo has to do with a stand alone Eleven Rack editor.

Eleven Rack is pretty much on life support, lots of stuff at Avid is pretty much on life support. The status of the Eleven Rack has been much debated on DUC, multiple unit support in the editor has even come up here before. If you have expectations of anybody at Avid caring about your requests for the Eleven Rack, well good luck. That the stand-alone editor was done at all was very nice, Avid actually did listen there to lots of us on that. But the team who build the Eleven Rack has been long gone from Avid. I'd not be holding my breath for any upgrades to the Eleven Rack, just hoping drivers keep being updated. And there are other feature requests that users would like to see that impact many more users, especially live performers. And while what you are asking for might be nice you don't need to editor to do anything except save and restore rigs, the front panel-UI is very nice and you can do anything you need to there, or via a midi controller, or via Eleven Mk II and effects plugins (which if you are reamping/multitracking etc. may be more convenient than the Eleven Rack).

YYR123 08-22-2016 11:12 AM

Eleven Rack Editor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2376887)
The Eleven Rack is still a great processor and at around $200-$300 used/street price it is a bargain. Everybody should have one (or two).

I do.....really nice boxes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2376887)
That the stand-alone editor was done at all was very nice, Avid actually did listen there to lots of us on that.

Amazing that it happened at all, yes it was.

Especially since that was such a slow time as far as feature releases was concerned....don't get me wrong I would like to see this, but I understand who we are dealing with at this point....they can't let me down if I don't expect anything from them.