Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Eleven rack/Protools/Tascam DM-3200 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=347594)

guitarbin 11-28-2013 05:23 PM

Eleven rack/Protools/Tascam DM-3200

Hello,

Would anyone know how to connect the eleven rack with the tascam DM-3200. I see the eleven rack appear in protools but no sound coming out. I'm using the Spdif connections from the eleven rack to the tascam dm-3200. Can someone take me through the settings?

Thanks,:confused:

Darryl Ramm 11-28-2013 05:41 PM

Re: Eleven rack/Protools/Tascam DM-3200

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarbin (Post 2106421)
Hello,

Would anyone know how to connect the eleven rack with the tascam DM-3200. I see the eleven rack appear in protools but no sound coming out. I'm using the Spdif connections from the eleven rack to the tascam dm-3200. Can someone take me through the settings?

Thanks,:confused:

Your going to have to provide a lot more info.

No sound comes out where? The monitors or headphones you are using are connected to what output? You are trying to use the DM-3200 as a mixer or as a DAW interface? If the later you have the DM-3200 selected as the playback engine in Pro Tools?

What have you set up exactly? You trying to track a guitar or reamp or what? You have the S/PDIF output of the Eleven Rack going into the S/PDIF input of the Tascam (and the S/PDIF output of the TASCAM going into the S/PDIF input of the Eleven Rack)? You have the rig output of the Elven Rack set to S/PDIF. What device is provide the digital clock to the other over S/PDIF? And so on...

What is the S/PDIF digital output on the Eleven Rack set to? Mirror Main outs? Split L/R etc.?

All the basic stuff about connecting the Eleven Rack as an outboard processor is well described in the Eleven Rack user guide.. Follow along with those instructions and tell us when things don't work as expected or don't make sense?

guitarbin 11-28-2013 08:07 PM

Re: Eleven rack/Protools/Tascam DM-3200

Hi Darryl,

No sound comes out where? The monitors or headphones you are using are connected to what output? You are trying to use the DM-3200 as a mixer or as a DAW interface? If the later you have the DM-3200 selected as the playback engine in Pro Tools?

no sound from my monitors, i am using the dm-3200 as my daw interface. Yes the dm-3200 is selected as the playback engine in protools.

[What have you set up exactly? You trying to track a guitar or reamp or what?

Yes i'm trying to track guitar in protools.

You have the S/PDIF output of the Eleven Rack going into the S/PDIF input of the Tascam (and the S/PDIF output of the TASCAM going into the S/PDIF input of the Eleven Rack)?

Yes

You have the rig output of the Elven Rack set to S/PDIF. What device is provide the digital clock to the other over S/PDIF? And so on...[/U]

This part i'm not sure what you're referring to.

What is the S/PDIF digital output on the Eleven Rack set to? Mirror Main outs? Split L/R etc.?

rig output, i actually tried all of them

I don't see any signal in protools, am i supposed to see the eleven rack input in protools when tracking. My I/O is showing my 32 channels of my tascam.

Darryl Ramm 11-28-2013 09:24 PM

Eleven rack/Protools/Tascam DM-3200

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarbin (Post 2106444)
You have the rig output of the Elven Rack set to S/PDIF. What device is provide the digital clock to the other over S/PDIF? And so on...[/U]

This part i'm not sure what you're referring to.

Yes neither am I, that is a combo typo(s) and repeat of something I wrote later as well. Let me go over that again.

If you only have the Eleven Rack S/PDIF output connected to the Tascam you need to set the Tascam to clock from the S/PDIF input you have the Eleven Rack driving, and you need to set the Eleven Rack as clocked internally (which it should default to). The Tascam reference manual has info on how to set the clocking up, read it.

If you want the Tascam to clock the Eleven rack you need another S/PDIF cable connecting the Tascam S/PDIF output to the Eleven Rack S/PDIF input. There is likely no reason for to want the Tascam to be the clock master, and either way just get this simplest way (just one S/PDIF cable and Eleven Rack running as the clock master).

---

And here is a simple test to do as well:

Disconnect the USB cable from the Eleven Rack (that enables front panel clock options and just makes some things easier).

Connect your monitors to the XLR main output of the Eleven Rack and confirm you can hear the guitar being processed by the Eleven Rack on the Main output.

Use the front panel user options menu to set the S/PDIF output to "Mirror Analog". And in the same menu settings for "Digital Clock/Input" set the clock to "Int ??kHz" with ?? set to match whatever sample rate you are workign at in your session. (the other digital input settings in that menu there don't matter, they are only if you are reamping or recording a S/PDIF signal with the Eleven Rack as an interface). the Eleven Rack outputs the digital signal on both S/PDIF and ASE/EBU.

Connect the Monitors back to the Tascam. Start Pro Tools, create a new session and in it create a new stereo audio track, and assign the input of that track to be the S/PDIF inputs that he Eleven Rack is driving. Arm the track play the guitar can you hear the guitar thoguht your montitors?

If that is not it...

If you don't hear anything do you at least see meters move?

How familiar are you with Pro Tools?

Do all other things work on the Tascam as expected with Pro Tools? You can record other tracks from microphone or line leven inputs? etc.

Do you have a CD or DVD player with S/PDIF outputs that you can just connect to the Tascam to confirm you have Pro Tools etc. set up correctly and the Tascam hardware is working.

Make sure you have a stereo audio track with inputs assigned to the S/PDIF input on the Tascam. **not** an instrument track.

Post screen shots of the playback engine dialog panel, the Edit window (as large and as clear as possible) showing the IO assignments.