Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2021 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Only 4 cores system usage on M1 Macs (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415900)

Emi 06-25-2021 09:13 AM

Only 4 cores system usage on M1 Macs

I'd like to know why PT 2021.6 is using only 4 cores out of 8 available on M1 Macs.

Does this have to do with the graphic issues (beach balls every more or less 20 sec.) ?

It feels like Avid gives something (more tracks and I/O) but takes something else in exchange...mixed feelings here...

dominicperry 06-25-2021 10:03 AM

Re: Only 4 cores system usage on M1 Macs

It's probably by design - running on the 4 power cores, for predictable performance and latency. You don't really want audio threads dropping down onto the efficiency cores.

Dominic

Emi 06-25-2021 10:08 AM

OK, I would understand that but, maybe this generates the graphic issues that are very annoying (beach balls, playback bar in recording is not showing on all tracks, flashes when you change tracks hight...and more)

Sonopolis 06-25-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2605503)
It's probably by design - running on the 4 power cores, for predictable performance and latency. You don't really want audio threads dropping down onto the efficiency cores.

Dominic

It probably is by design. Let's not forget that Avid is a hardware company and ... probably has a a very good explanation, containing the phrases rock-solid, trusted, stability, thoroughly tested and confidence.

Did anyone say Core-Packs???

Just kidding...

GoButtonGuy 06-25-2021 11:09 AM

The emulation is only using the performance cores. It's not specific to Pro Tools. Graphics are processed in the GPU in the SoC not the main processor. Those on the cutting edge often bleed. Whatever the issue I doubt the beach balls are a purposeful choice on the part of the devs. While Intel systems ran OK on smaller projects with 8GB memory Apple Silicon may want a minimum of 16 depending on the config. For larger projects that still may not be enough but for most consumer/home use projects it should work.

As it's a first rev release emulated I'd expect there to be a few issues. Until they get an Apple Silicon native version we're keeping PT on Intel hardware. Hopefully it won't be too long.

Emi 06-25-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoButtonGuy (Post 2605523)
T
As it's a first rev release emulated I'd expect there to be a few issues. Until they get an Apple Silicon native version we're keeping PT on Intel hardware. Hopefully it won't be too long.

But on the other hand it's really hard to understand how the previous non optimised M1 version works great and the optimised one has more issues...it should have less...I don't know...:confused:

JFreak 06-25-2021 02:19 PM

It is not optimized until it is native.

Rico618 06-25-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emi (Post 2605491)
I'd like to know why PT 2021.6 is using only 4 cores out of 8 available on M1 Macs.

Does this have to do with the graphic issues (beach balls every more or less 20 sec.) ?

It feels like Avid gives something (more tracks and I/O) but takes something else in exchange...mixed feelings here...

I’m glad I’m not the only one who is concerned about this. I only mix on my M1 system and the “unsupported” version of PT (previous version) worked WAY better then this “supported” update. It’s a little frustrating. Not a good start.

Emi 06-26-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico618 (Post 2605586)
I’m glad I’m not the only one who is concerned about this. I only mix on my M1 system and the “unsupported” version of PT (previous version) worked WAY better then this “supported” update. It’s a little frustrating. Not a good start.

And unfortunately I went back to 2021.3.1 until Avid gets it right. It's kind of sad!

rizki 06-26-2021 10:32 PM

Yeah me too, 2021.6 gave me ilok license error for my slate licenses, lag and beachballs, cpu usage on the same project goin up to 80%, previously on 3.1 the cpu usage only 40-50%, this is unacceptable, so i'm rolling back to 2021.3.1 on my Macmini M1 and everything went smooth again, i even add another acustica plugin and the cpu meter only add some 2% more!

Plase Avid fix it