Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Recording through Busses (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418778)

bernstudios 01-29-2022 12:04 AM

Recording through Busses

I`m usually routing everything through busses in my mix (like probably almost everyone else does..) means guitars go to guitar bus -> mix bus -> PRINT

now from time to time I have to add a guitar or a piano here and there and I was wondering if I can do that without having to worry about latency through busses at all as long as there are no plugins on my mixbus

of course if I would route everything through the main out it would be no problem but how about going through busses?

thx

Protools Ultimate 2021.1, Mac Mini 2019 Mojave, Apogee Symphony I/O with HD Native Card

EGS 01-29-2022 01:44 PM

Re: Recording through Busses

Quote:

Originally Posted by bernstudios (Post 2626754)
...without having to worry about latency through busses at all as long as there are no plugins on my mixbus...

Use buffer 64. Some plugs may add latency. Some little or none.

Rich Breen 01-30-2022 08:50 AM

Not sure I see why you wouldn't just rely on ADC to take care of it for you?

bernstudios 01-30-2022 10:23 AM

because ADC used to NOT compensate the delay going through busses..! and I don`t know if they fixed that...

bernstudios 01-30-2022 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2626806)
Use buffer 64. Some plugs may add latency. Some little or none.

plugins are not really the problem - ADC should take care of that and thats fine - its really only about the busses!

EGS 01-30-2022 05:46 PM

another discussion: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418215

cwsand 01-30-2022 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bernstudios (Post 2626754)
I`m usually routing everything through busses in my mix (like probably almost everyone else does..) means guitars go to guitar bus -> mix bus -> PRINT

now from time to time I have to add a guitar or a piano here and there and I was wondering if I can do that without having to worry about latency through busses at all as long as there are no plugins on my mixbus

of course if I would route everything through the main out it would be no problem but how about going through busses?

thx

Protools Ultimate 2021.1, Mac Mini 2019 Mojave, Apogee Symphony I/O with HD Native Card

I'd be interested too if there's a way other than disabling all plugins, but I just go to the main out while tracking and move it to the bus later.

Rich Breen 01-31-2022 08:32 AM

I didn't really grok that you were on a native rig, so yeah, if you're recording through buses and there're native plugins on those buses you'll have to deal with latency. I'm on HDX rigs so I don't really have to worry about it much as long as the plugs are in DSP mode - I do always keep on eye on my delay compensation window in such cases though just to be sure I haven't missed anything.

But rather than all this back and forth, why not just try it and see what works/doesn't work for you?

bernstudios 02-10-2022 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2626883)

this is another problem! they are talking about what happens when the DC turns red..

bernstudios 02-10-2022 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Breen (Post 2626919)
I didn't really grok that you were on a native rig, so yeah, if you're recording through buses and there're native plugins on those buses you'll have to deal with latency. I'm on HDX rigs so I don't really have to worry about it much as long as the plugs are in DSP mode - I do always keep on eye on my delay compensation window in such cases though just to be sure I haven't missed anything.

But rather than all this back and forth, why not just try it and see what works/doesn't work for you?

are you sure that the HD rig compensates for the BUS delay too? plugins for sure but what about busses?