Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Does 'Commit' offer the same quality as 'printing' in real time? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=393224)

thierryhenry 08-22-2017 06:41 AM

Does 'Commit' offer the same quality as 'printing' in real time?

Simple question really. I'm finding the 'commit' feature really useful but just want to be sure that it offers the same quality as printing in real time.

Drew Mazurek 08-22-2017 06:58 AM

Re: Does 'Commit' offer the same quality as 'printing' in real time?

Quote:

Originally Posted by thierryhenry (Post 2446066)
Simple question really. I'm finding the 'commit' feature really useful but just want to be sure that it offers the same quality as printing in real time.

Do a null test.

Also, you can Commit in realtime as well.

Do one each way compare.

DJ Hellfire 08-22-2017 07:05 AM

I have yet to hear any differences at all between printing in real time vs printing offline vs bouncing to disk vs bouncing to session audio track, despite what people say online. The only difference I ever encountered was sometimes mute automation does not happen at the proper location on bounce to disk. But in almost every case, rebouncing again fixes this. This has not happened to me since Pro Tools 10, however.

Bob Olhsson 08-22-2017 07:11 AM

It really depends on each individual plug-in's code. I haven't noticed any problems myself.

[email protected] 08-22-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire (Post 2446073)
I have yet to hear any differences at all between printing in real time vs printing offline vs bouncing to disk vs bouncing to session audio track, despite what people say online. The only difference I ever encountered was sometimes mute automation does not happen at the proper location on bounce to disk. But in almost every case, rebouncing again fixes this. This has not happened to me since Pro Tools 10, however.

I disagree. With real critical listening, the difference is there. ESPECIALLY with COMMIT. In some cases, commit was not even usable.

YYR123 08-22-2017 12:07 PM

Null tests are the only way....ears are too fickle

Way too Subjective......(ears)

Carl Lie 08-22-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 2446117)
I disagree. With real critical listening, the difference is there. ESPECIALLY with COMMIT. In some cases, commit was not even usable.

I'm curious about this. What was going on when you arrived at this?

Agree on the null test.

C

lesbrunn 08-22-2017 12:56 PM

I've always noticed timing discrepancies on longer busier clips. It's very obvious when I line up the midi against the waveform. Strangely, I notice this more on bass, but I haven't investigated to find out if it's frequency related.

Carl Lie 08-22-2017 01:56 PM

Yeah I've heard odd stuff when using warp markers. I was wondering if same for others. It's easiest to hear on bass tracks for me as well.

C

lesbrunn 08-22-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Lie (Post 2446144)
Yeah I've heard odd stuff when using warp markers. I was wondering if same for others. It's easiest to hear on bass tracks for me as well.

C

Hi Carl,

It's reassuring to hear someone else has this problem. So it's not me or my system. I can understand if that happens with warped audio (after all, elastic audio isn't all it's supposed to be) but these are straight quantized midi/VI tracks. Absolutely no excuse for bad timing here. I always find myself having to warp affected sections of my bass line after using commit, re-committing sections, or realtime bouncing if there's too much of it. It's seemingly random.

I haven't had these issues with drums, just bass...which makes me think it's frequency related. Realtime bounce doesn't do that, so the whole purpose of commit is defeated if the results necessitate spending time editing after the fact. Ive had this in all PT releases since commit was introduced.