PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use BBE Sonic Maximizer for tracks or mastering?

H-man
05-20-2002, 11:41 AM
I have the direct X version of this plug in Sound Forge and used it on some bass and guitar tracks the other day. I was pleasantly suprised, but it seemed to me that it really kind of compresses the sound. Is it me or do you hear this too? Also, what do you like using this plug in on, and have you had good results with it? images/icons/wink.gif

soundsurfr
05-20-2002, 11:45 AM
I have a discreet unit. I haven't noticed the compression effect you indicated. I find it brightens up acoustic guitars really well and is good for adding breathiness to vocals. I use it a lot.

Jorge442
05-20-2002, 02:56 PM
i have an 862 (I think), I havenīt used it in sooooo long! itīs under the 001, nicely unplugged. I have used it on guitars before and it did work well.........mabe I should plug it in.....

jorge

Mark_Knecht
05-20-2002, 06:28 PM
I have one of the litle ones - the 362. It's sort of interesting, but hasn't been important to me yet.

I have not noticed the compression effect you're hearing.

STUDIO-DE-ARIEL
05-21-2002, 02:05 AM
I have a 462 above the digi with the patch bay between
Beau

ReniuR
05-21-2002, 10:29 AM
We have an 882, and I have a 482 on my home stereo. It does kind of compress, but I've found that it doesn't have any artifacting like a compressor's attack and release. It seems much more natural than strait compression, let alone the tone improvement.

SSRJazz
05-21-2002, 02:14 PM
An RTAS version is being worked on, so sayeth BBE. I hope they take me up on my offer to beta test.

However, the Sonic Maximizer does not compress anything. All it does is attempt to rearrange the frequencies in the wave file to emulate the way it would be heard live.

For example: When you plan an instrument, the frequencies/sound waves eminating from that instrument bounce around the room and you near all this sonic information coming from different angles, etc all at different times. When you record an instrument, that information is lost and no loudspeaker can recreate it. This plugin tries to rearrange the waveform so when it's played through a loudspeaker, it sounds more live then memorex. images/icons/smile.gif

Very nifty plugin....I use it religiously as a final mastering tool. Gives it that extra clarity that you'll find on the pro recordings. Can't wait till the RTAS version is out.

Stone Knife
05-21-2002, 02:25 PM
Sorry, bandwagon, but I must vote on the 'no!' side of this issue.
What's happening is a similar process to that of the Aphex 'exciter' which is inducing a form of high-frequency distortion. More pleasant than the Aphex but that's what it is.

I would never recommend using a BBE on a master track unless you just want it to sound wierd.

If your tracks don't have 'zing' 'sizzle' or 'air' it's probably because those qualities weren't there in the original recording or were lost in some other processing. If at all possible look at the mics or the console, perhaps pre-amps or EQ on the way in- to really get to the root of the issue.

It all comes down to what you think sounds good, but IMHO the main things the Exciters and BBE maximizers do to sound is screw it up. We use that 'exciter' effect to annoy and interrupt people in advertising production, and I hate it.

At least, if you MUST use it, use it sparingly because a little goes more than a long way. images/icons/wink.gif

Martin Elsner
05-21-2002, 03:05 PM
Hi!

Used to use one before I bought my digi001, havent used it since, but it was great - really great on the tom toms of a drumset... I think of inserting it for the mixdown of my current recording project. didnt like it in the main mix, just on single instruments.

martin

bryanbassett
05-22-2002, 12:19 AM
I recently purchased the BBE directx version as I master in Soundforge...I have used it on my last 2 album projects to brighten up the overall mixes..I found that much more than 2 starts to get harsh.. and much more than 1.5 on the low end starts to get muddy. Of course every mix is different. I've been running it just before my L1. My mixes are pretty hot out of ProTools so i have to set the input level on the BBE down to about 4 then regain with the L1. An rtas version would be great..I can see many uses for it on a track by track basis.
BB