PDA

View Full Version : DAT transfer to PT using S/PDIF help!

ChrisO
05-19-2002, 06:48 PM
I'm puzzled. images/icons/confused.gif

I've followed the instructions on page 158 of the reference guide "RECORDING FROM A DIGITAL SOURCE" and still can't get digital signal from my DAT through the digi 001's S/PDIF input.

What's really baffeling me is that the illustration of the session setup window shown on page 158 looks different than mine.

I don't have an option for Ch 1 -2 input in my session setup window. It's not greyed out, it's just not there at all.

Could this be why I can't get signal?

If anyone has any ideas I'd be greatfull for the input.

images/icons/tongue.gif
Chris

Mark_Knecht
05-19-2002, 07:43 PM
Chris,
Take a look under your I/O Setups and see if I/O's 1 & 2 are in the session. They might have gotten disabled.

You can just tell PTLE to use the defaults and hopefully they will show up again for you.

Mark

gerax
05-20-2002, 01:21 AM
If it doesn't exist, just create one in the I/O setup panel and assign it input 1/2 in SPdif format. Also Check SPdfi compatibility in the DAE menu.

L.G. images/icons/smile.gif

ChrisO
05-21-2002, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the input Mark & gerax

If I look at the I/O setups, the S/PDIF input is 9-10. My output is 1&2 for monitoring. Everything seems right, but still no signal.

This really shouldn't be so complicated. I was wondering if it might be the DAT player, but there aren't any output options to mess with.

Can anyone help?

images/icons/shocked.gif Chris

gerax
05-22-2002, 01:25 AM
Strange thing

Usually you can tell if your DAT machine is sending output by checking out the digital link between the two machines, I mean : digital machines tell you if they are locked or not to a digital source: is PT showing a message like " A clock source couldn't be detected" or the likes? Try to reset the I/O configuration at its default state as suggested above, this should clear any strange signal path you may have created; also check out for the ADAT port to be set to optical, not SPDif, as this would detour the signal (in Toslink format) to the optical port, and not to the RCA.

Post back your results.

L.G. images/icons/smile.gif

DigiTechSupt
05-23-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by ChrisO:
If I look at the I/O setups, the S/PDIF input is 9-10.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This suggests that your hardware is set to Optical S/PDIF.

If you are attempting to perform a transfer into PT LE through the RCA S/PDIF ports, you will need to:

-Open the Setups>Playback Engine>Other Options within Pro Tools and set the Optical format to “ADAT.”

-Open the Setups>I/O Labels window and click “Factory Reset” for the Inputs, Outputs and Inserts views.

-Open the Setups>Hardware>Sync Mode option within Pro Tools is set to “RCA S/PDIF.”

-Make sure that the remote device is set to “Internal” sync

-Make sure that the sample rate of the Session matches that of the remote device (Windows>Show Session Setup window).

Brent