PDA

View Full Version : Songs heard with Autotune vox?

rlcowa@work2
05-19-2002, 04:49 PM
I heard several "radio-hit" songs recently I am convinced have the lead vox (overly) treated with Autotune. Has anyone else had that experience recently? Maybe this has been going on a long time but it is only recently I have began to notice now that I have heard a few PTLE vox tracks processed with Autotune. Just curious... Thanks! R

electrobank
05-19-2002, 05:02 PM
Your are right. However it isn't anything really new... it has just become overly popular and overly used. It is just one of the many things that "pop" music has taken from the electronic music genre: Vocoding and stutter edits to name a few. But like anything, these effects are only good in moderation.
images/icons/cool.gif

Mr_Seven
05-19-2002, 07:57 PM
I think it's like when you buy a new car seems like you see your car driven everywhere by everyone. Once you are intimately familiar with the sonic effect of autotune it seems to show up everywhere.

Roy Howell
05-19-2002, 08:44 PM
I tell you guys a plugin I believe I'm hearing recently, and that's the UltraPitch 3 or 6-Voice, which is really, really cool to work with. On the Lenny Kravitz song, 'Fly Away'(I assume that's the name), it definitely sounds like it to me. The harmonies just flow so perfectly with each other, it sounds like they're cued off one voice. It may have a phase or chorus on it too. But, if I can make MY voice sound good with itself (and I'm not really a singer), then just about anybody can.
Are you guys familiar with the harmony I'm referring to?

Thanks, Roy

nqmike
05-19-2002, 09:36 PM
How about the new Craig David single, "Walking Away"? That vocal performace screams Autotune. Not that the guy can't sing. But- all of his glissandos land perfectly in tune- too perfect. I don't know. Maybe they did it that way for effect. Then again- it's the whole disc. Yes. It's being way too overdone anymore. I was just talking with my girlfrind about it the other day. We heard a song come on the radio and I was remarking on how the vocal performace on the tune (i don't remember what it was- some 80's pop thing) would never stand up to today's standards- it sounded real. Anymore-If it's not perfect- you suck (or at least that's what people are programmed to believe).

Ever hear this one... "the concert was great, it sounded just like the cd!"

Then why didn't you stay home?

Sadly, people want to hear the performace off the cd exactly when they go to a show. They also want to see people dancing around, putting on a visual show too. Which is why all of these pop groups aren't singing a word of what you're hearing on stage. They can't possibly pull off a flawless studio quality (Autotuned to death) vocal performace while they're doing aerobics. Yet people buy into this and actually think its real.

"Unplugged" or real performance had it's revival and it's gone- but the cycle will come around again.

Rambling and rambling.... images/icons/smile.gif