PDA

View Full Version : Waveform blanking

Sparks
05-19-2002, 08:40 AM
Hi again. While recording a long take, waveforms are only drawn for a couple of minutes, then I get an error message. The audio seems to be there but I have to zoom right in to sample level to see anything on the display. I've reset the hardware buffer size to 128 as I kept getting error messges about that also. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Sparks

GW
05-19-2002, 11:38 AM
It sometimes happen to me as well (don't know why), but when I Normalize the track it all comes back...

mattm
05-19-2002, 11:44 AM
don't normalize - it sounds bloody horrid! do this instead:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">select the whole region that is not displaying correctly. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">in the edit window, click on the grey "Regions" bar at the top of the regions list. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">a pull-down menu appears. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">click on Recalculate invalid overviews.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the reason the waveform only becomes visable at a certain zoom point is because the overview data is corrupt. this waveform overview information is stored within the session file but only to a certain magnitude. beyond this point, the waveform is drawn by reading actual audio file data from the hard disk, instead of the waveform overview data stored in the session file.
the reason the waveform becomes visable again after using an audio suite plug-in is because a new audio file has been created and therefore a new overview. simply recalculating the waveform's overview is the only acceptable method as it has no effect on the original audio file.
~matt

Sparks
05-19-2002, 06:11 PM
D'oH. Binned a load of takes as I figured they were all corrupt. Any ideas as to why they go this way? Something to do with the hardware buffer size / CPU allocation?

Sparks

mattm
05-20-2002, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Sparks:
Any ideas as to why they go this way? Something to do with the hardware buffer size / CPU allocation?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you'll have to ask digidesign tech support about that...

DigiTechSupt
05-20-2002, 02:57 PM
Sparks,
What error message (and/or error number) is posted?

What version of PT LE?

Does this happen with all sessions or only an isolated few?

Brent