PDA

View Full Version : Dat-less Mastering: or that old I/O conundrum

classics
05-18-2002, 06:48 PM
Put simply, I want to hook-up a Finalizer Express to PT. When I've managed that, I want to send the uncompressed output of PT's master fader to the Finalizer. Easy, so far . . . But then I want to record the Finalizer's output right back into PT to a newly created stereo audio tack. And I propose to do this using the SP/DIF digital inputs on the rear panel of my Digi 01 card. If the process of simultaneous recording and playback is too much for my machine (Athlon 2000XP), then I'll bounce an uncompressed stereo mixdown first.
Naturally, the operation will have to take place in real-time.
Point is: can I do this, or do I have to buy a DAT machine?

Stone Knife
05-18-2002, 11:28 PM
You do not need a DAT recorder.

DanyL
05-19-2002, 08:47 AM
First, assign all tracks to output 17-18 (spdif) and then plug your finalizer to the spdif out port. The output of your finalizer to the spdif input of the Digi. Open a new stereo track put the input to 17-18 hit record it should work.
Digi must remain the clock master and the finalizer clock slave.

Good luck,
by the way never do a bounce to disk of a mix, you loose a lot of things during the bounce.

recordingguy
05-19-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by DanyL:
by the way never do a bounce to disk of a mix, you loose a lot of things during the bounce.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What all do you loose?

Stone Knife
05-19-2002, 01:45 PM
I don't notice loosing anything. You're eventually going to have to be at 16/44.1 which means a dither/transfer which is the same as bounce, isn't it? You can't send at 24 bits and record back in at 16. Eventually the words have to get shorter.
I don't understand that statement. Perhaps some detail will follow? images/icons/confused.gif