PDA

View Full Version : Hello Digi Users!!! SCSI or IDE

Tracy Lowery
05-17-2002, 11:31 PM
Just wanted to say hello I am a new member and I have been reading for a while here, Just got registered.I have been doing live audio for about 20 years and recording for a few years as well. Just bought the Digi 01 and I think its very cool. I am doing some tweaks here and there to get things running smoothly. I am running a P4 2.0 w/ 512 DDR ram w/ two drives, One SCSI for audio and an ATA 133 for system. Just wanted to see if anyone has the same config, Also running Plextor SCSI CD rom and Scsi Cdr. Just bought the Presonus Digimax...Sounds great.Well thats it for know just wanted to participate and get some some info.

Respectfully, Tracy Lowery

Email:[email protected]

Voideco
05-17-2002, 11:43 PM
Hello Tracey,
yes I have SCSI for audio, but also for my system drive. An IT technician told me that Windows on SCSI makes your system run a little bit faster. It is like Windows counts with the properties of SCSI, something like the OS measures the characteristics of your harddrive when the OS is being installed. This must look a little exaggerated, but more people, I think not many, use SCSI for their audio drives. It is getting a little outdated however, and you can get good results with IDE nowadays. But I love my SCSI setup. images/icons/smile.gif
Voideco

zedhed
05-18-2002, 11:47 PM
I use scsi too, performance issues aside, I like it mainly because I can daisy chain up to 15 drives on the one adapter card. I can't see me running out of space any time soon!

mattm
05-20-2002, 12:47 AM
SCSI for portability/compatibility.

firewire offers the same portability for much less cost (every late model mac has two firewire ports.)

if you don't need your drives to be portable, internal IDE will serve you just fine.

~matt