PDA

View Full Version : Pop Filters

Silence
05-15-2002, 08:56 PM
Quick question: has anyone made their own pop filter? I've tried using stocking over a wire loop but it's not real effective. A premade pop-filter costs about $100 Australian dollars, not sure if it is worth the price... Any thoughts?

greedwell
05-15-2002, 08:59 PM
Silence,
Check out Musicians Friend or American Music supply online. They have decent filters for about $30 U.S. images/icons/smile.gif

Stone Knife
05-15-2002, 09:44 PM
images/icons/smile.gif Quick answer, no.

This is one I really like, used by
Madonna
Wynonna
Faith Hill
Vince Gill
Megadeth
Lonestar
John Michael Montgomery
Michael Bolton
Pam Tillis
Lee Ann Womack
George Strait
Mandy Moore
Blackhawk
Mark Knopfler
James Taylor
Chely Wright
Yankee Grey
Steve Wariner
Martina McBride
Edwin McCain
Martin Sheen
Ed Cherney
James Earl Jones
Me images/icons/wink.gif

Sony Music
Electric Lady
ABC Radio Network
Fox Broadcasting
Nutmeg Music
Comedy Central
Spotmasters
Clack Studios
Superdupe
Paisley Park
C-Span
CBS
MCA Music Ltd:

Popless (http://www.popfilter.com/)

The Weed
05-15-2002, 09:51 PM
You may want to take a look at this pop screen:

http://www.stedmancorp.com/pages/ps101.html

You can read a script through it, no border, washable, it let's the highs through and it'll last for almost ever.

Cheers,

Freeheel
05-16-2002, 03:02 AM
If the wire loop with stocking is not working, move the mic- who says the mic has to be right in the line of vocal fire? Put it above your vocalists mouth.
The main difference between a commercial pop filter and the wire loop is a greater distance between the two layers of stocking. Maybe find something 3/4 inch thick to wrap your stocking around

Gr0und_Zer0
05-16-2002, 04:46 AM
I had this small hifi speaker with a soft thin stuff thingy whatever-you-call-it cover on it, which I used as a pop-filer until I bought a real one.

Worked fine though.

staylor
05-16-2002, 06:23 AM
I use a home made pop filter. I use a sewing loop with stockings. It works quite well in my opinion. It looks good as well.

Nashville Bass
05-16-2002, 06:00 PM
The stedman's awesome and it will last you the rest of your life.

vocalize
05-16-2002, 06:39 PM
I have an endorsement with Stedman and they sent me their pop screen years ago. I still have it and take it with me to all my sessions. I really love it and HIGHLY recommend it!

Silence
05-17-2002, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the input people. It is not so much the girl behind the counter I'm worried about. It's explaining to my girlfriend why her stockings are cut to shreds! images/icons/grin.gif

Roly
05-17-2002, 08:58 PM
You never know she might like it.

Silence
05-17-2002, 09:13 PM
gee, do you think so? images/icons/wink.gif

Roly
05-17-2002, 10:29 PM
I'll ask her

alonzoslefthand
05-18-2002, 12:13 AM
i make my own and they work great, you'll feel weird when your find yourself experimenting with numerous brands and types of panty hose (not to mention wahat the girl behind the counter thinks of you when buy a few pairs of control top panty hose : ))

but it's worth it, especially if you have lots of people using your studio, and have a low budget, you can give people fresh pop filters so they dont have to smell the last guy's spit.

Silence
05-19-2002, 01:36 AM
images/icons/rolleyes.gif