PDA

View Full Version : 6002 error...Help!

Don M
05-15-2002, 10:14 AM
After years of rock steady performance, I booted up yesterday to a "Error-6002:Can't initialize DirectIO" message. Only a hard powerdown gets you out. I followed all the DUC suggestions and Answerbase to no avail. I went so far as a complete reformat and W98 fresh install. Only drivers loaded are video card and Promise controller. As soon as I loaded the wave driver 1.7....error is back!
I email tech support and am awaiting an answer. I was just wondering if you guys think it could be the card itself.

System is:
PIII 1ghz
Abit MB
Matrox G450 video
Promise ultra100
512 mg
2 - IBM 40g 7200
Digi on IRQ5 alone (was on 10 when error first showed up but moved to different slot to be sure)

I have built lots of systems for friends and coworkers and have never seen this before. I will try another card from another system and let you know.

Don't it always happen when you need it the most!

Roy Howell
05-15-2002, 10:23 AM
Don,
Forgive this elementary question, but in the days just prior to this happening, had you loaded ANYthing out of the ordinary?

Thanks, Roy

Don M
05-15-2002, 10:49 AM
The ONLY thing was to remove a driver for a midi interface that is no longer on the sysem but I had used it with no problems since then.

Thanks Roy....

Mark_Knecht
05-15-2002, 10:51 AM
Hi,
Check that your 001 card is well seated in the PCI slot, and that your cables are well attached. You might remove the cable and just clean it out with a dry cloth.

If you're in California with me, then you just went through a moderate earthquake. That would shake things around a bit. Maybe somethign popped loose.

Cheers,
Mark

Don M
05-15-2002, 04:12 PM
Here's a quick update... I pulled the card and installed it in a G3 here at work and it is fine so........hmmmm. I'll put it back in the PC tomorrow and let you know. MB maybe?

Swaphappy
05-16-2002, 11:39 AM
Ah-Oh! Did I read G3?
Now you won't even need the XP upgrade. images/icons/wink.gif

Don M
05-16-2002, 11:54 AM
Oh yeah I will... I work with TDM mac systems all day at work and know the power of the PC. This PIII system was doing 22 tracks on the Davec test. I have another system on an Athalon XP that does 24+8. Fun to note that on the G3 I could not even get 9 tracks with 4 plugs each going. But at least I know the card works..... Now back to figuring out whats wrong.

Don M
05-16-2002, 02:01 PM
Well...... I put the card back in the PC and all is fine now. Maybe it just was not seated well in to PCI slot. All is well. Amazing what a fresh Windows install will do to system speed anyway.
Thanks for the help.