PDA

View Full Version : R0DE NT2 or R0DE NT1000???? Need opinions!

Da Gatekeepa
05-15-2002, 06:19 AM
Hey.. exactly what the topic says

I wanna get a mic.. either a nt1000 or nt2.. which ones better? nt1000 is a little more expensive than nt2 here in australia. but i wanna know if it is worth that extra AUD$300 you pay for the nt1000.. cuz nt2 has the pad & cardioid switches and nt1000 doesnt.

Thanks guys

pk_hat
05-15-2002, 10:04 AM
I don't own any Rode mics, but I'll share what I have read while I was researching.
In a nutshell, the NT1000 is a better mic. Not to trash the NT2, as it has it's purposes, but it's apparently a little harsh sounding in the upper-mids, whereas the NT1000 has a much warmer sound to it.

If pricing wasen't an issue, I'd say forget both of these and get the NTK, which has gained huge respect by home users and pros worldwide.

Alternatively, you could get a Studio Projects C1 or C3 (multi-pattern equivalent), both of which cost under $400 US. I'm not sure if they are available in Australia, but they are the mic buzzword in the industry at the moment.
I bought a C1 and have not looked back once, it's truly amazing.

www.prorec.com (http://www.prorec.com)

they have reviews of all the mics mentioned here.

pk

Stone Knife
05-15-2002, 02:52 PM
PK has my take on it- I have (and love my) NTK, failing that, the Studio Projects is the bargain of the year; The 1000 has the same capsule as the NTK so it will not stink! Any one of them will be great- I think the NT2 is now obsolete in a way; a step forward in the evolution but now eclipsed by the current generation.

The folks at BPM have the best deal on NTK's I've seen and are reliable and fast; mine was $405 with FedEx 2-day shipping free:
click here (https://secure.daeo.net/bpmo-bin/makehtml7_a.cgi?microphones:3527.25012:Y)

They also do the SP C-1 for $229...

takeastand
05-15-2002, 03:01 PM
Same here . . . I've not used the NT2 or the 1000, but I love the sound of my NTK. Very sweet & it's relatively affordable. In my research, it seemed to be the mic of choice in it's price range!

Xray55
05-15-2002, 03:23 PM
Stone - On the NTK - any thoughts on not having a pad, bass rolloff and pattern selections? Do you miss those features? Also, are you using the NTK for voice over or instruments also. I ask as I was thinking of purchasing an NTK but will need to use it on a variety of instruments. Thanks.

Stone Knife
05-15-2002, 03:36 PM
I use the NTK for V/O work here. I just insert a 30dB highpass filter on the track for mixing to eliminate subwoofer-boom. For this application it's just great as it is.

For instruments I really don't know. I remember reading positive reports, but not specifics. I think Citi has one- you might e-mail him about that.

You'll definitely want a pop screen like the Popless (http://www.popfilter.com/) as the NTK is very sensitive to breath noise. It has a quality in the high end for vocals that's what 'exciters' try to imitate, only it's... -the only word I have is 'delicious'. Combined with an outboard compressor it's giving the sound I wanted forever but never could get in radio stations' production rooms.

citi
05-15-2002, 03:58 PM
Hey there,

Yeah, I have one and love it. Since I go through my penta. I have a high pass filter on it so I just use that. As far as instruments are concerned, I have yet to use it but just like Stone, I have heard it does wonders on acoustic guitar and such. Great investment either way. Chances are you will end up with more than one mic.

BTW.. I also have the NT1 also. The NT1 to the NT2 is a pretty good upgrade but it doesn't comare to the jump from the NT1 to the NTK. It is huge!

The Weed
05-15-2002, 05:01 PM
I just a/b'ed the NT1000, NTK, AKG 414 and an Apex condenser - exactly the same as the Marshall MXL 2001. The Rodes were mine and the studio guys wanted to put them up against the other two. We did an acoustic guitar, male singer and male vocalist. Hands down winner - both Rodes. The singer/guitarist preferred the NT1000 for singing and acoustic guitar - he had a mid to upper range - with the NTK very close behind. The male voice talent sounded best on the NTK with the NT1000 close behind (lower range voice). The assistant just kept saying "gold" everytime he heard anything through the NTK. Surprisingly the Apex didn't sound too bad. I think they must have gotten one of the (few) good ones.

Bottom line: if you can afford it, get both the NT1000 and the NTK. No microphone is best for all situations, but these two should cover off the majority of them. And for the money, you can't get any better. Put either one through an outboard compressor and use the gear's roll off or put a plug on the track. (Not as much compression needed for the NTK as the NT1000. The NTK almost sounds like it has it's own, built in compression going on and it seems to take the almost all the room out.)In most cases you'll never miss the extras on the NT2. And yes, according to Rode, the NT1000 and NTK are the next generation up from the NT2.

Cheers,

The Caine
05-15-2002, 05:20 PM
Im in austalia as well and seriously i gotta tell ya if you going with a Rodes mic you made the first step in the right direction whichever one you decide on. Being as they are an Australian mic its a great thing for their international reputation that everyone around the world is using them . Also with the range of mics now available it's always a good sign that is the rodes is the choice of many. Geez i sound lie a rep, im not but ive used a lot of rodes and have always gotten great bang for the buck. Ive got an nt2 that came with a road case and ive used nt1000. The nt1000 is a sweet mic just loved it, but budget was my issue and because the nt2 are being superceded if u shop around you should get a really good price . They are also a great mic but obviously the nt1000 is a step above. Have you priced them at Pro Audio in Canbera? I always check with them after i get my lowest quote and they always beat it :-)

jamers_man
05-15-2002, 07:12 PM
Ive used the NT-1, NT-2, and the NTK

Someone said something about them being harsh... I personally disagree with that. I find the NT-1 to have a soft sound to it, but lacking the top end lustre on it. The lack of the roll off also makes it seem that way too, though. I used the NT-1 on acoustic, in pairs for overheads (They work awseome!) and on vocals.

I find the NT-2 to be pretty much the same as the NT-1, but it just has the roll off's and patterns. If thats all you want as a step up from your NT-1 then it would suffice. If you want a noticable difference then you should consider the Nt-1000. I haven't used it but the NT-1 and NT-2 are so much alike.

The NTV is just amazing. My band used it to track vocals for a couple sessions and it sounds awseome. If your looking for something flat.. this isnt it.. it really thicken's things up, has warmth and shimmer all at once. Its an excellent mic.

I noticed none of the Rode mics are that transparent or 'flat'. If thats what you want I would go with another brand. The Rode's to me seem to beef things up (IMO for the better).

images/icons/grin.gif

jamers_man
05-15-2002, 07:17 PM
almost forgot.. if anyones looking for those studio project mics or the rode mics they sell them at a nice price at www.bpmmusic.com (http://www.bpmmusic.com) and on ebay. No i'm not a rep I just have friends who have bought mics from both sites and they are very satisfied. The prices are usually much cheaper than competitors for brand new equipment and it's even more attractive to those of us in Canada. Anyone here ever use the Studio Projects stuff? I hope its not like Apex....

The Zone
05-15-2002, 08:32 PM
I have two NT2's and I love them. I don't know about the other Rode mic you asked about but I'd love to try it on some things.

Jhon

Silence
05-15-2002, 08:48 PM
Hey there! I bought an NT1 a while ago which suits my purposes at the moment. Can I recommend checking out the place I bought it from

www.kosmicsound.com (http://www.kosmicsound.com)

They have ridiculous prices on Rode Mics, Pro Audio couldn't match them.

I picked my NT1 up for $399, regular retail is over $600!

Stone Knife
05-15-2002, 10:01 PM
Ahh, Silence! I'm sorry, bud, but BPM Express sells the NTK, delivered 2-day FedEx in the US for $6 more than you paid for the NT1 . ($594 less than Kosmic sound.) images/icons/rolleyes.gif

pk_hat
05-15-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Silence:
Hey there! I bought an NT1 a while ago which suits my purposes at the moment. Can I recommend checking out the place I bought it from

www.kosmicsound.com (http://www.kosmicsound.com)

They have ridiculous prices on Rode Mics, Pro Audio couldn't match them.

I picked my NT1 up for $399, regular retail is over $600!<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You either have a typo going on here or you've been seriously ripped off by your kosmic friends.
The NT1 retails for $199 just about anywhere, did you seriously pay $399? Odd...

Stone Knife
05-15-2002, 11:53 PM
$399 is the current NT1 price at Kosmic. That would make it 'rediculous', for true! images/icons/frown.gif

VincePro
05-15-2002, 11:58 PM
GET THE AKG SOLIDTUBE! I have one and the professional sound that you get is amazing for the price.

The Caine
05-16-2002, 06:02 AM
I think some people are getting mixed up in terms of currency i guess silence was talking about aus currency by the price he quoted for his nt1 and BTW i paid that price for the NT2 with a road case from Pro Audio , so ah i guess that means they can beat your price.Im guessing the $199 quote was an american one. The U.S. dollar floats roughly at twice the value of our Aus dollar.Hence $400 in Aus is equal to $199 in America.

The Caine
05-16-2002, 06:06 AM
Of course if u arent talking Australian as opposed to American dollars silence then my god did you pay an amazingly inflated price! The salesman must have got a bonus and then some for that sale.

Bloux
05-16-2002, 11:00 AM
Hey Guys,

For vocals, How do you rate these mics IN ORDER:

1. NT 1000
2. NT 1
3. NT 2
4. Studio Projects C1
5. Studio Projects C3
6. AKG C414 TLII
7. TLM 103
8. AT 4033

jamers_man
05-16-2002, 04:49 PM
1.) TLM 103 ... nice
2.) NT 1000
3.) NT 2
4.) NT 1
5.) AT 4033 - Has what i call a 'tin can' effect... sounds like your singing into a tin can..

havent used any others

citi
05-16-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Bloux:
Hey Guys,

For vocals, How do you rate these mics IN ORDER:

1. NT 1000
2. NT 1
3. NT 2
4. Studio Projects C1
5. Studio Projects C3
6. AKG C414 TLII
7. TLM 103
8. AT 4033<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know why noone has the NTK listed. And you have the NT1 listed as two. What kind of music are you making and are you using them as vocal mics?

JohnnyYen
05-16-2002, 07:01 PM
We bought a C1 and it blew the Rode we had to the back of the mic cabinet - even with the exchange, taxes and duty at $229 US I don't see how we could have made a happier purchase; it's done room miking for drums, wonderful full, warm vocals, guitar cabs and everything we've tried it on.
Rode model was the NT1 - the entry level and about $350-$375 Cdn. I'd buy another SP mic in a second.