ty
BEAU

8mmOverdose
05-15-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by STUDIO-DE-ARIEL:
Yes I havent done it yet
and I need to know how
ty
BEAU<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">first join ascap or bmi.

http://ascap.com

1-800-95-ascap

the ascap website will answer a lot of your questions. unless you are looking for a publisher that will push your songs, i would simply join ascap and become your own publisher.

STUDIO-DE-ARIEL
05-15-2002, 02:02 AM
images/icons/cool.gif images/icons/cool.gif images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/cool.gif images/icons/cool.gif

Phil O'Keefe
05-15-2002, 02:56 AM
I suggest BMI. http://www.bmi.com

First of all, have you registered your copyrights with the Library of Congress? That's step #1. THEN call BMI.

STUDIO-DE-ARIEL
05-15-2002, 10:26 PM
Thanks Phil and 8mm

STUDIO-DE-ARIEL
05-17-2002, 05:09 AM
Copywrite office?
I hear you dont have to have it all written out on the staves and stuff any hints
Most of you Guys are writing music publishing Artist and Repetoir producers.
There is a Guy here in town fischbein that did some of stevie wonders work i thought i might get him to work with me on some stuff but its all up in the air. Any caveats.

8mmOverdose
05-17-2002, 06:02 AM
send in a cd. dont copyright individual songs, send them in as a "group" of songs, like an album. i think its form SR. its cheaper that way.

soundsurfr
05-17-2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by STUDIO-DE-ARIEL:
Copywrite office?
I hear you dont have to have it all written out on the staves and stuff any hints
Most of you Guys are writing music publishing Artist and Repetoir producers.
There is a Guy here in town fischbein that did some of stevie wonders work i thought i might get him to work with me on some stuff but its all up in the air. Any caveats.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, you don't need to have any of the music written out. Actually, if you go to www.MP3.com, (http://www.MP3.com,) they have a copyright wizard you can use to submit stuff to the copyright office. It's pretty good and it's free.

Regarding the songwriting dude you want to work with, get a standard contract and agree on the ownership percentages for mechanicals and publishing. Sign it before you write any music together. Definitely join ASCAP or BMI as soon as possible.

Even with the contract, things can get dicey. Suppose a publisher who works with Stevie Wonder wants to buy a song from you guys. The publisher may want the entire publishing rights for the song (not unusual), but one of you doesn't want to sign over full publishing. Now the fight begins. If you can't agree, the song may end up in the dustbin, along with your songwriting relationship. Try discussing those types of things in advance. How will you shop the songs? What are you willing to consider in terms of publishing deals or artist contracts?

Best of luck. It's a tough biz, but if you hit...

STUDIO-DE-ARIEL
05-18-2002, 08:28 AM
I got to hit somthing
thanks Sound surfer
you sound like you have been around the biz a bit
I lost a tape on a switcheroo deal and heard two songs parts of songs i wrote verbatim
on ABC. Does the mp3 thing work well do you get acknolegement etc.?
Trying to do somthing before time expires for me
thanks beau

STUDIO-DE-ARIEL
05-20-2002, 05:44 AM
Library of congress?