PDA

View Full Version : grid nightmare!

outfit
05-14-2002, 12:48 AM
Quite a headline eh?

Coming from a world of tape this is kind of baffling. I cant understand what the grid controls or when to use it.

I thought I was doing fine in my first session untill I turned on grid mode. Then i started seeing that my material was not on the grid so I began moving it around and messed up the feel I had going.I have read the manual but still dont quite get how to use the grid in practice.

Sorry for the newbie question.

Roy Howell
05-14-2002, 01:45 AM
Hi outfit,
If you're just doing 'roll tape' type recording, you needn't even worry about using the Grid Mode.
If you've already recorded something without using a click track or some such reference, to try to make it fit to Grid is probably impossible, and you could just mess up the piece.

But, you CAN still do some great editing using the other edit modes, so don't worry.

The Grid Mode is generally used for editing, and usually for structured forms of music. Like if you had decided your song would be 120bpm (tempo), then with the tempo set at that, all the bars and measure would be in a structure that you could slice and dice in the Grid Mode.

Just take it slow, and maybe try some Midi or even Audio recording using a click track. THEN, in the Grid Mode, you have amazing editing control, and we'll be glad to help you as you go.

Hope that helps for now, Roy images/icons/wink.gif