PDA

View Full Version : OT-Firewire issue with WinXP

Siegfried Meier
05-13-2002, 04:06 PM
I'm using an Adaptec Fireconnect 4300 card with an ATA100 60 GB Maxtor drive and a drive case that utilizes the Oxford 911 chip. My problem is that my drive is so much slower than my internal IDE drives. To the point where I'll get serious playback glitches with my recording software, which happens to be Samplitude. Does anyone know why the performance is so poor, and perhaps know of any special Firewire secrets with WinXP? Thanks.

Best regards,
Siegfried Meier

Mark_Knecht
05-13-2002, 04:12 PM
Seigfried,
Hi. The 1394 Controller is subject to the same old interrupt issues that any I/O card is. If it's been assigned a bad one, or worse, if your XP machine has this ACPI thing happening where every card ends up on the same interrupt, then you're likely to have problems. (I think!)

There is no reason I know of why 1394 performance should be particularily bad under XP.

Check that out and write back.

Mark

Siegfried Meier
05-13-2002, 04:18 PM
I've always had serious issues with ACPI on my system since the beginning-problems with the computer not shutting down, so I've always changed it to Standard PC. It's a single CPU machine-1.3G Athlon, and therefore runs better this way. As you probably know, with Standard PC mode, every device gets its own IRQ. Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Best regards,
Siegfried Meier

Mark_Knecht
05-13-2002, 05:35 PM
Hi,
OK, then in that case what IRQ is associated with the 1394 Controller? Can you list those out so we could look at what might be stealing cycles form 1394?

Cheers,
Mark

SRV JO
05-13-2002, 07:08 PM
I use the Pyro drive with the Oxford 911a chip and it works great under XP, like the people said before list your specs

Mark_Knecht
05-14-2002, 07:22 AM
There you go. Proof!

SRV JO - Is this your audio drive for PTLE?

Originally posted by SRV JO:
I use the Pyro drive with the Oxford 911a chip and it works great under XP, like the people said before list your specs<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">