PDA

View Full Version : Cd-RW mysteriously goes from 8x to 4x

Maurice_Green
05-13-2002, 10:25 AM
When I bought my computer in the summer of 2000, the burner that came with it gave me some trouble. I ignored it for a while, then called up DELL and had them come replace it for me about 7 months later. The new burner has worked very well up until recently. About a month or two ago I realized it was burning very slowly even at the 8x setting (it's max. burn speed). Then, last Thursday, I needed to burn a disc for a meeting with a client, and I realized while it was burning that it was set at 4x. About 2 seconds later, my computer locked up on me while it was burning (now I have a nice new frisbie). Needless to say, I left, came back, and then checked again to see what was going on, and I see now that in my software, Adaptec Easy CD creator 4, the option for 8x is no longer even there. Logic would tell me that this is due to the software recognizing a problem with the burner (that it's max speed is now 4x). Even though 4x is slow, i decided I could make due with it. But now, every time I try to burn a CD, the thing locks up on me. It's not a buffer underrun, or any error, it's like my computer just freezes. I can't burn anything. So, what might have caused this switch from 8x to 4x? What are my options other than buying a new CD burner? I already re-installed my software twice.

Moe

Aussie169
05-13-2002, 04:55 PM
Moe
Check your media. Some older blanks (especially CD-RW's) are only capable of being written to at slower speeds. Most disks will have a maximum writing speed marked clearly on the sleeve.
If you put one of these slower disks in your drive, the software will only display that speed.

Mark

Maurice_Green
05-14-2002, 04:44 PM
these are sony's. 24x maximum. I'm pretty convinced that my burner is broken

Aussie169
05-14-2002, 05:37 PM
I would be more suspicious of the software.
I've always hated Adaptec software.
Download the Nero demo and see what that does before you go shelling out for a new burner.

http://www.nero.com/en/download.htm

Mark