PDA

View Full Version : XP Delay is PACE the problem ?

SRV JO
05-12-2002, 08:23 PM
I have been hearing how PACE copy protection has been a utter disaster under WIN XP (see prorec.com )speculation is DIGI is having a very big problem getting PACE to work with XP.

From ProRec.com
"Based on my experience, PACE Interlok appears to work outside the scope of the operating system, and is capable of actually rebooting your computer during normal operation. Yes, you heard me correctly. PACE Interlok can immediately reboot your computer while you are using it. The effect is as if someone hit the reset switch on the PC. Besides being a very frustrating crash, there is the very real potential for damage to your PC, especially with advanced operating systems like Windows 2000 and XP".
Rip Rowan

Swaphappy
05-13-2002, 08:58 AM
What else is PACE used with other than Waves Native Gold Bundle 3.2 featuring PACE Interlok (http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/4F0B51C39C17DA6386256B7F0077FBA6)?
Does Emagic Logic Audio use PACE for the dongle?

I read that Bomb factory has one is that true?

and Cubase?

Mark_Knecht
05-13-2002, 09:53 AM
??? Why do you believe that the XP release has been delayed???

SRV JO
05-13-2002, 10:47 AM
??? Why do you believe that the XP release has been delayed???

Because Win XP and PACE copy protection = Random reboots and corrupt registry issues. I think DIGI delayed XP release to try to work this out with PACE. Now Im not saying I know this as a fact but I do know as a fact is that DIGI uses PACE protection and PACE is a disaster under WIN XP. images/icons/shocked.gif

Mark_Knecht
05-13-2002, 01:49 PM
OK, I've read the same web papers you have, and I understand the issue, but it's a bit more honest what you say here. You don't know that this is a problem and you're now saying that. Cool.

And as Stone Knife points out, the Pace people think they have a solution. I think they must because Pace protected applications run on XP today. So Pace works as Pace works, I suppose.

But I'm asking, why do you think it's delayed at all? All I ever heard was they were 'shooting for May', not that they had a firm date. I don't think it's delayed because I never heard Digi say that it WOULD be out in May.

My opinion only, but there's way too much of this stuff going on around here these days. Wastes too much bandwidth...

Originally posted by SRV JO:
Now Im not saying I know this as a fact...<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

SRV JO
05-13-2002, 07:28 PM
Thanks, I guess it’s easy to get carried away with just a little info and allot of people do. I upgraded my computer to XP 4 months ago and using a different platform until DIGI releases the XP drivers. There has been allot of talk on other NG's about PACE, XP and random reboots. I too have had my share of sudden reboots, I reformatted my hard drive avoided all PACE protected software and my reboots disappeared. ProRec.com really brought this problem to the forefront. Now im not saying every computer that has sudden reboots is a pace problem but there are a growing number of posts with people solving their reboot problem by removing PACE protected software. images/icons/wink.gif

Stone Knife
05-14-2002, 12:35 AM
As to the original question regarding is Pace ready for XP, or by inference holding things up, I received the following reply from Pace on April 15th :

Dear Doc,

If your iLok is not currently being supported by Windows XP it may be
that you do not have the latest Windows XP compliant drivers to your
system which will allow the iLok to run properly.

You may download these drivers from our website at
http://www.paceap.com/dldrvr.html (InterLok drivers installer
3.0.7.839). Please download, install, reboot the system, and then try
again.

Best regards,

Pace Anti-Piracy Tech Support
[email protected]
http://www.paceap.com
Vox:408-979-9774 x2
Fax:408-979-9775

...so Pace already has the drivers done, I doubt if it's an issue in this stage.
Besides, it's not up to Digi to 'get Pace to work with XP'... the iLok is independant of the LE application- in fact it seems to be too independant, according to Rowan.

But spontaneous reboots have been reported by enough people here to indicate that's not solely the fault of the iLok. (see the parallel thread, "Has everybody had...")

Swap was wondering about the plug-ins authorized with Pace; I just took out the Dongle and the following things would not run:

Digi Maxim
Waves
B.F. 1176 and LA-2A

So at least those require the Dongle in my 001 Factory...