PDA

View Full Version : Western Digital HD?

recordingguy
05-11-2002, 10:18 PM
Has anyone had problems with the Western Digital 7200rpm 80G Hard Drive? I get a DAE-Error-9060 when I record to it, but no problems with my Maxtor 40G...

DMA is on...

images/icons/confused.gif

Jayman#9
05-11-2002, 11:11 PM
If your gonna get a HD, get an IBM deskstar. They are the quietest and most reliable.

Haigbabe
05-12-2002, 02:29 AM
Greetings recordingguy,

I have one of the WD 80's (with only 2mb cache, not the new 8mb cache version) and it's fine.

My suggestions would be (and I don't want to offend you in any way, so forgive me if it sounds obvious!)....

Format, then ...

Partition the drive (Partition Magic would be good for the following!) into say three or four.

Try different size clusters (eg 32 etc) for each partition.

Try recording on each partition and see if cluster size is affecting the recording (or maybe the drive is faulty in a particular area!).

If errors still occur, I would try a different controller (ie swap onto a different ide channel).

If that didn't work, I'd start suspecting the drive itself, do a full thorough scan with scandisk.

Hope that helps, and best wishes.

Haigbabe

citi
05-12-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Jayman#9:
If your gonna get a HD, get an IBM deskstar. They are the quietest and most reliable.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I believe the question was if anyone had problems with the WD 80gig drive, not whether or not to buy a western digital hd...

I have the 60 gig and have not run into any problems. Do you have multiple drives or just the one? Also, now that you changed it from the maxtor ...make sure you enable dma, and check to make sure in bios that it is running at the proper speed. The WD drives have a tendancy to read your controller info (ide config) incorrectly sometimes and maybe it is set to ata 33. It may also be your hd cable Use the new cable and not the old one that was plugged into the maxtor. Could be a lot of things though, so check it all out...before you reformat.

recordingguy
05-12-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by citi:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Jayman#9:
If your gonna get a HD, get an IBM deskstar. They are the quietest and most reliable.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I believe the question was if anyone had problems with the WD 80gig drive, not whether or not to buy a western digital hd...

I have the 60 gig and have not run into any problems. Do you have multiple drives or just the one? Also, now that you changed it from the maxtor ...make sure you enable dma, and check to make sure in bios that it is running at the proper speed. The WD drives have a tendancy to read your controller info (ide config) incorrectly sometimes and maybe it is set to ata 33. It may also be your hd cable Use the new cable and not the old one that was plugged into the maxtor. Could be a lot of things though, so check it all out...before you reformat.<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I run
(1) 30G Maxtor 7200 for Programs
(2) 40G Maxtor 7200 for Audio
(3) 80G WD 7200 For more audio
All are set up as master drives 1 on board 2 & 3 are on Promise card...

I reformated with the disk that came with the WD drive and Partitioned it to 2 40g drives instead of 1 80G.

I recorded a test of 8 tracks for 5 min. and it was fine, I will let you know after a real session tuesday tosee if it is working beter...

Before I formated it with fdisk in windows, this time I used EZ-Instal/Bios...

I hope this did the trick, or maby it's a Win98 bug/thing...???

recordingguy
05-12-2002, 11:01 PM
The promise card only runs in DMA, at least that is what Promise says... images/icons/smile.gif

citi
05-12-2002, 11:54 PM
EZ should do the trick. I have found that it is better to use ez install over fdisk with western dig drives. let us know what happens

recordingguy
05-21-2002, 08:47 PM
Everything seems to be working fine now. Next time I will stay with Maxtor, but the Western Digital is working fine.

Thanks for the help! images/icons/grin.gif