PDA

View Full Version : need help configuring MIDI control surface for PC!!

stilllearnin
05-11-2002, 06:04 PM
I have pro tools le and im havinng problems using midi. Im using the yamaha motif and when I create track one with a sound lets say drums for example and then create track two, say i use strings on track two. Track one changes to the strings i wanna use for track two. How can i stop this?

Someone told me at guitar center i need to configure my OMS, but there isnt any OMS for PC and every book i have tells how to configure the OMS and doesnt even touch on how to do it for PC's so can someone help me with this issue? images/icons/confused.gif

Roy Howell
05-11-2002, 11:08 PM
stilllearnin,

I'm about to do a step by step for you. But, after getting your email, I wondered one thing. On your Yamaha Motif, you do have it set on Sequencer Mode, and not Program or Combination Mode, right? Now, I haven't seen the Motif, but for ProTools to use different programs/sounds at the same time, it needs to be set on Sequencer Mode.

OK, so you have Midi cables running from Digi In to Motif out, and from Motif In to Digi out, right?

And you say you have the output cables L and R from the Motif to 3 and 4 on the back of the Digi Box. So now let's look at the Mix Window.

In the Mix Window:

1. Make sure you have created 2 Midi tracks, and one Stereo Auxillary track.

2. On the Aux track, above the actual fader, are some gray RECTANGULAR buttons. Click and hold the TOP rectangular button, choose 'Interface', and set it on 'Analog 3/4'.

So your Auxillary Track is set now.

3.On the first Midi fader, on IT'S top rectangular button, Click, hold, and choose 'ALL'.

4. Now, on that SAME Midi fader, on the rectangular button just BELOW the top button, Click, hold, and choose Digi/Midi Channel 1 .
(later you can choose something else if you want).

5.On the same Midi fader, click the small 'P'. A Program # box will appear. Choose the corresponding # of the Program/sound you want to assign to that fader.(say 09 for drums).

Ok, that Midi fader is set.

6. On a SECOND Midi fader, repeat what you did on Step #3 above.

7.Now, repeat Step #4, except choose Digi/Midi Channel 2.

8.Repeat Step #5, except assign a different Program/sound this time. (say 07 for strings).

Now, you just continue this procedure to make as many different Midi channels/sounds as your device/Motif can handle.(mine is 16 Midi channels).

Tips:On your Motif, in 'Global', set it to Midi channel 1.

On your DigiBox, make sure your Monitor Mode button is not pushed in (for now anyway).

And make sure your Auxillary track's volume is up.

That's as thorough as I can be for now. If this doesn't get you going, I'll need some more info. But do post back and let me know either way.

~Roy

stilllearnin
05-12-2002, 01:28 PM
I also was wondering do i have to set up a midi control surface similar to Mac's OMS setup?

stilllearnin
05-12-2002, 01:30 PM
when i create the aux track and click the tap i only have the option of mono and stereo, there is no option for analog. So i only can set interface to stereo 3/4.

Roy Howell
05-12-2002, 01:45 PM
No, forget OMS. That pertains to Mac. You do not HAVE to set up a Midi Control surface. You have all you need right in front of you.
Again, in the TOP rectangular box on the Aux fader, choose 'Interface/Analog 3/4(Stereo)'.

It sounds like you were looking in the box just below the correct one.

Post back...

stilllearnin
05-12-2002, 02:52 PM
ok i figured out how to assign a sound to a channel with that number box. what i did was when that # box appeared i then scrolled for my sound and it automatically put in the patch and 0-32 controller numbers for me. The problem im having no is that i cant hear track 1 and 2 at the same time. The only way i can is if i change track 2 to channel 1 instead of channel 2. But when i do this track 1 adapts track 2's assigned sound, and they'll both be playing the same sound just diffrent patterns.

stilllearnin
05-12-2002, 02:56 PM
oh and i did go to the very top box, it just doesnt have a analog option? The very top box looks exactly like this in 3-4(stereo) no analog option. The box right under that looks like this out 3-4(stereo) or out 3(mono).

Roy Howell
05-12-2002, 03:04 PM
Does your Yamaha Motif have a 'Sequencer Mode' on it? And do you have it set on that, and not 'Program Mode' or 'Combination Mode'? (Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with that Device)...

stilllearnin
05-12-2002, 03:26 PM
it has voice mode, performance mode, and master mode. The sequencer has song and pattern mode.

Roy Howell
05-12-2002, 03:33 PM
OK, well the reason I ask, is that it sounds like you have it in a Mode that HAS to be only one program at a time. If my Korg is in Program or Comb. Mode, it won't allow but one program to play at a time. Now it may be something else, but do me a favor and try a couple of those Modes WHILE you try switching programs (with the 'P' on the Midi fader).
Now, if that doesn't get it, we'll go from there.

rh

stilllearnin
05-12-2002, 03:52 PM
ok ill try that,i dont think i had it in a sequence mode i didnt think it matter. So it needs to be in a mode as if i was gonna sequence from the keyboard?

Stone Knife
05-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Roy posted
Does your Yamaha Motif have a 'Sequencer Mode' on it? And do you have it set on that? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">images/icons/wink.gif

stilllearnin
05-12-2002, 04:27 PM
it does but if i go to it i cant select a sound. In my voice mode i can scroll through sounds and the numbers of each sound will automatically place themselves in the MIDI # box.

stilllearnin
05-12-2002, 04:48 PM
I just realized the only way i can hear any track is out of channel 1, no matter what track it is the only channel i get any sound out of is channel 1.So if i successfully record drums on track 1 and strings on track 2. I can only hear whatever track is coming out of channel 1, no ohter channel gives out sound. What you think this can be?

Roy Howell
05-12-2002, 05:52 PM
You don't change Midi channels anyplace but on each Midi fader that you want to assign different programs.
So, you say that on the SECOND Midi Fader I told you about creating(Midi channel 2), you cannot get a separate program/sound from the FIRST midi channel fade (Midi channel 1), right?

Well, if you've done everything I've told you, then I don't know what to suggest. But, try going through my instructions again thoroughly, and post back.

And Stone, you be quiet!... images/icons/grin.gif

stilllearnin
05-12-2002, 07:39 PM
no i can only get a sound program from midi channel 1, any ohter channel 2 and so on wont give my any sound unless i go change them to channel 1.

Roy Howell
05-12-2002, 10:02 PM
I want you to try one last thing.

First, Make sure everything is set up as I explained it above in steps 1-7 above.

If you've done that, then you should have TWO Midi faders. OK, on the SECOND Midi fader(which is set to Digi Midi Ch.2), first press 'P', and in the program box that appears, set it to program #46.

Now, on the same Midi fader, press 'R' for record.

Now, on your Yamaha Motif, I want you to first set it on your Voice Mode. Now hit the keys... any sound? If not, then

set the Yamaha Motif to Performance Mode, hit keys, any sound? If not, then

set the Yamaha Motif to Master Mode, hit keys, and if there is no sound, and you are sure you've done everything I've suggested, post back...

pk_hat
05-12-2002, 10:38 PM
By the way 'stillearnin',

after all the help you've gotten from Roy, it would be common courtesy to throw a little 'thank you' his way. He's gone to great lengths to help you solve this issue (which you will solve, btw) and I think that's rather admirable.

Welcome to the board and this was not intended to be offensive towards you at all, s'just nice to get our gear helmet off for a moment and appreciate the resources we have here to help us figure stuff out. It works both ways, as one day you'll be helping someone else in that same capacity.

cheers,

pk

stilllearnin
05-13-2002, 01:53 AM
thanks for the advice pk hat but by u butting in our business and making that comment how much satisfaction you think roy would get now if i say thank you after reading your comment. Where i come from we say thank you after were done talking, so slow down pk. If you wanna give advice assist roy with the problem im having. OH Yea! no offense towards you.

Ok Roy i'll try that.

stilllearnin
05-13-2002, 02:44 AM
A Roy it worked!!!! images/icons/grin.gif Thanks for all the help!

I have to select my sounds in voice mode then switch to Master mode to hear the tracks play at the same time.

Roy Howell
05-13-2002, 10:13 AM
OK, great...I'm glad it works for you.

And to pk...thanks, bro images/icons/wink.gif

pk_hat
05-13-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by stilllearnin:
thanks for the advice pk hat but by u butting in our business and making that comment how much satisfaction you think roy would get now if i say thank you after reading your comment. Where i come from we say thank you after were done talking, so slow down pk. If you wanna give advice assist roy with the problem im having. OH Yea! no offense towards you.

Ok Roy i'll try that.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I may have jumped the gun a little, I apologize. images/icons/wink.gif