PDA

View Full Version : Has everybody had....

phdumas
05-11-2002, 04:30 PM
I just wanted to find out if everyone has had spontaneous reboot with the digi001 card. I had that problem with my Dell (only once PTLE 5.1), but quite often while on the internet. I just removed my card yesterday and I haven't had a spontaneous reboot since while surfing.

I'm building a new computer according the specs I found on the thread "best system for under 900.00$" and "PT performance davec test". Hopefully, everything will run smoothly and hope these spontaneous reboot will stop forever.

Philippe Dumas

BBenesh
05-11-2002, 05:06 PM
Actually, Yes I WAS having that problem. And I just removed my DIGI001 card as well. And now that you mention it, I havent had any spontaneous reboots either. I always thought it had something to do with Windows Media Player and AIM, but I think you may be on to something.

Mark_Knecht
05-11-2002, 05:14 PM
My old A7V133 had lots of spontaneous reboots. Every 2-3 days. Eventually the graphics card fan diedand killed the machine.

I built my new A7V266 in the same case. It had spontaneous reboots. One every 2-3 days

My power supply was noisy, so I replaced the power supply.

I have never had a spontaneous reboot since. (Over 3 months.)

Take a guess what I think was causing the problems in my machine... images/icons/wink.gif

Cheers,
Mark

Aussie169
05-12-2002, 07:08 AM
I had the problem when I was running my old PIII 733 with a VIA chipset. (A no-no according to Digi but it worked for me.) Just didn't have a lot of grunt, and had the reboot problem.
Then I upgraded the system to an Athlon XP1600 and haven't seen the problem since. All I changed in the box was the MOBO, CPU and doubled the RAM to 512meg.

Mark

Datus
05-12-2002, 07:41 AM
I would be willing to bet your spontaneous reboots, which I had at one time as well are caused by not enough power to your system. When you add a PCI Card Like the Digi001 which requires alot of power, considering it powers itself and the breakout box. It draws too much of your power. When a system doesnt recieve enough power it can spontaneously reboot. I work as a phone tech for gateway, and the number one reason a clients system reboots on its own, or just shuts down is do to a faulty power supply. I upgraded my system from a 300w to a 450w and mine never rebooted on its own again. I also think coincidentally when your solve this problem by removing the card, obviously its because the digi001 is no longer drawing power. Or if you solve the problems as others have with a new system, almost everytime these systems will contain larger power supplies than the original. That is my thought on it, and what makes the most sense. Just thought I would say.

phdumas
05-12-2002, 08:29 AM
Thanks Stephen!

That makes alot of sense since my dell has a cheap 135 watts power supply!!

Philippe Dumas

Aussie169
05-12-2002, 03:56 PM
But I didn't upgrade my power supply. Just the MOBO, CPU and RAM.
Is it possible the AMD processors draw less power than INTEL???????

Mark

Stone Knife
05-12-2002, 03:58 PM
Coincidentally, every time I've got a spontaneous reboot (On this P-III Intel 815) was when I was taking a break from a PT session, kept the session open, and piled up three or more open Explorer windows. I have a 350 watt P.S.

Since closing the PT session for these 'net breaks, no recurrance.

Swaphappy
05-12-2002, 04:58 PM
I agree that a poor power supply could do it.
But at work I have seen that some times a reboot can be caused by a stale window. If an application is left sitting long enough with out being used the system may steel it's allocated memory for another process. It's like the rug is pulled out from under the unused window. Then when you click on that window the program thread vectors into the middle of code that does not belong to it any more. A bad branch or jump instruction then sends it either into a loop (lock-up) or a reboot.
Another problem can be the virtual memory resizing to a smaller size when a window is idle.
That causes problems too. A way to avoid that is to set your minimum and maximum virtual memory settings to be the same. That way the swap file (9x) or page file (NT) will stay the same size all the time. That avoids a lot of problems too.

Swap

agent fu
05-12-2002, 05:57 PM
maybe this helps to figure things out;

i've been having this exact problem aswell, especially when doing net related tasks...and i havn't been able to work out why. my power supply is certainly nothing special, but my main suspician has been an old 20 gig hard drive im using. my computer has been dying lately...spont restarts...wont boot properly sometimes..etc.. - i took my 20 gig round to my girlfriends house to back it all up with her burner and while my HD was connected there her pc spontaniously restarted a few times...and never again since i removed it. it was the third HD running in her tower while in it (in place of dvd drive). perhaps 3 HDs overdid the power needs...but it was only my 2nd drive in my tower at home.
im running an athlon 1700+/a7v266e/256.
a friend of mine also has a hard drive which has been having problems and his computer reboots itself while data is being written to or read from it. im running windows xp now and havn't had the problem again yet.

agent fu
05-12-2002, 06:02 PM
forgot to add some details...

she was/is running XP, and was getting the reboots while browsing. not otherwise.

i was getting the reboots on ME, which i will never use again...(which is obviously a problem for my digi situation)...

i havn;t had the reboots myself yet on XP, but then...of course the digi card is not highly functional right now without drivers.

no digi in her pc, still the reboots.

Stone Knife
05-13-2002, 12:49 AM
How many of you 'spontaneous rebooters' are running the Pace iLok?

I am...

Posted elsewhere on the DUC i saw this:
From ProRec.com
"Based on my experience, PACE Interlok appears to work outside the scope of the operating system, and is capable of actually rebooting your computer during normal operation. Yes, you heard me correctly. PACE Interlok can immediately reboot your computer while you are using it. The effect is as if someone hit the reset switch on the PC. Besides being a very frustrating crash, there is the very real potential for damage to your PC, especially with advanced operating systems like Windows 2000 and XP".
Rip Rowan (ProRec) <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Swaphappy
05-13-2002, 05:49 AM
You mean this? Waves Native Gold Bundle 3.2 featuring PACE Interlok (http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/4F0B51C39C17DA6386256B7F0077FBA6)

SRV JO
05-13-2002, 06:34 AM
This is not just a Waves problem , I have read elsewhere that PACE is F*****g up many computers with different programs that use it. If you read Rip's article he states that if you are using serveral different programs / pluggins that employ PACE one will affect the other. This is a very BIG problem with Win 2000 and XP. This has not been an Issue here because of non 2000 or XP support. This should throw up a BIG Red flag regarding PACE and future DIGI XP upgrade. ( could be a reason why WIN 2000 was never supported???) images/icons/shocked.gif images/icons/shocked.gif

jaygro
05-13-2002, 07:19 AM
I get the reboots too, and I am using Pace

The Weed
05-13-2002, 09:28 AM
I've got the Waves with PACE and I too have experienced spontaneous rebooting - sometimes when I left PT LE unattended for a while, sometimes in the middle of working - most annoying. However, this hasn't happened lately and only seemed to be a real problem when I used misconfig and took everything out. Using ctrl + alt + del to remove background processes seemed to stop or really cut down on the problem. Hopefully Digi will find a fix for this with XP support and/or Waves and Digi will do away with PACE, the latter being not too likely I'm sure.

Cheers,

fresh_meat
05-13-2002, 09:33 AM
i am not using pace but i have had sponty reboots. the power supply thing makes sense. would i free up enough power by removing an agp video card?

Swaphappy
05-13-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by SRV JO:
This should throw up a BIG Red flag regarding PACE and future DIGI XP upgrade. ( could be a reason why WIN 2000 was never supported???) images/icons/shocked.gif images/icons/shocked.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">images/icons/shocked.gif Your not saying PTLE 5.3.1 has a dongle are you?
I found this link listing some companies using PACE:
Several of PACE's pro audio licensee's have adopted iLok support in their most recent product releases. (http://www.paceap.com/braglistilok.html)

This was in the link:
"Digidesign is working with PACE to facilitate iLok's availability in retail channels through their network of dealers. In Q2 2001, Digidesign will bundle iLoks with their high-end ProTools hardware systems as well as their Digi 001 home studio tools product. In addition, Digidesign will be offering a number of iLok-enabled upgrades and bundles throughout this year."

The Weed
05-13-2002, 09:58 AM
Don't know about iLok with the LE XP update, but they were talking about iLok with PT HD when the tour went through Toronto a couple of months ago.

Cheers,

SRV JO
05-13-2002, 10:52 AM
What we are finding out is this is not only a problem with PACE ILOC but with PACE in general, I believe that PTLE uses a software version of PACE without ILOC and that is also a problem under WIN 2000 and XP

PUCK
05-13-2002, 11:27 AM
I've had reboots as well and assumed it was my overworked 300 watt power supply. I bought a well-built Enermax 431 watt power supply and my computer STILL reboots!! Most of the time it's when I'm not running PT, however. Specs:

Windows 98, S.E.
Asus CUSL2 815 motherboard
Pentium III 800
256MB ram
Quantum and Maxtor hard drives
SCSI CD player, CD burner, and zip drive

I'd really like to know why it happens, but it's nearly impossible to troubleshoot since it happens maybe once every few days...

fresh_meat
05-13-2002, 05:40 PM
i am running a similar setup with similar symptoms. what sucks is that it happens so sporadically that i can't remember what i else i might of been running etc. mayeb the POD sound diver?
and when i reboot and everything works i try hard to forget it ever happened.

digi? can you think of anything?

i don't really want this to develop into a big problem. mind you spontaneous reboots is a pretty big deal!

i will anxiously stay tuned

The Weed
05-13-2002, 07:04 PM
I forgot to mention that I have the largest power supply that Enermax makes - their 530W EG651P-VE. I can't imagine that my power supply could be the problem, even though I am running 3 hard drives and the digi 001. My spontaneous rebooting must be PACE related.

Cheers,

Okion
05-14-2002, 01:21 AM
It can also be the battery, try changing that before buying a new power supply. If your clock is running slow (not the chip clock the one used to tell time) then it is definitely the battery. It can also be other hardware issues, something associated with power is usually the culprit. I know of a PC that did that because the chip was dying. It eventually died. The old Mac 900s would do that because of a termination issue with the RAM slots, you had to take the daughter card (with the cpu on it) out and move the memory around. After 25 tries you voided the warrantee.

You know a short would do it as well, or a card that was supplying power that was being shorted or unplugged. Like if you are accidentally momentarily unplugging the cable to the breakaway box, or unseeding the card because of tension on the cable.

A software problem wouldn't usually cause a reboot in most cases, but a freeze, forcing you to do the reboot.

Stone Knife
05-14-2002, 09:24 AM
I think it is a software problem in a lot of these cases. It sure is in mine.
I can reproduce the problem by leaving a PT session open and getting 3 or more Explorer windows going at once; after that it's a matter of time. If I don't do that- it never happens.

NetCline
05-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Hey Guys,
350W P.S., No Network, still have the digi card installed but not the software. I am running a video project right now with XP pro loaded and no reboots. Same setup with ME I was getting reboots While I was running my Video Program.
I should say I am running minimal software.

Jeff

Stone Knife
05-14-2002, 02:58 PM
Jeff- Do you have a Pace iLok?

PUCK
05-14-2002, 04:02 PM
Oh, and by the way... I get reboots sometimes when I'm not even at my computer, so it's definitely not me kicking a cable, etc! I can be on the other side of the room, and hear my computer's single bios beep as it reboots. After that, I usually make my own one-word sound as well images/icons/smile.gif Oh, and I have a very nice power conditioner cleaning the power to my system and it's telling me that my line voltage is good as well...

just to narrow it down...

NetCline
05-15-2002, 03:17 PM
Hey StoneKnife, I dont' think I have a Pace iLok? I don't think I know what one is. Can you fry it with some butter and garlic and it tastes like chicken?

Jeff

Stone Knife
05-15-2002, 03:22 PM
The iLok is really cool looking, a little blue "key" with an LED on it (that hogs up a USB port). Goes best with a hearty Red wine.
So Jeff- are you thinking it might be a "ME" issue?

I'm not sure if this reboot stuff isn't somehow/sometimes PT related, (perhaps with ME involvement) because the only times (twice now) PT has completely collapsed, was when I'd move a plug-in from one track to another. Just at the instant I'd let go of the plug-in, the machine would turn off and reboot. (This is with nothing else open on the machine)

So it's happened that way, and it's happened a couple of times when I'd have PT open and would get involved in doing internet stuff with 3 or more Explorer windows open at once.

NetCline
05-15-2002, 03:49 PM
Not saying it is just a ME thing but If you line up the stars just right and face the east wind while holding your left foot in your right hand chewing 3 pieces of bazooka joe bubbble gum in your left cheek you might get a Reboot. I just think XP might be more robust. The equipment I work on in my day job runs on DOS still and we get General Protection Faults very often, Kinda the same as a reboot. And I have found that each machine might have a different combination of things to cause it. I have been on this Video project for a couple of months now with no PT on the Computer, like I said before with the card still in. When I was in ME doing video work I got a couple of reboots and various lockups. With XP I have not had one hickup. Also in this time period I took out my Soundblaster and am using on board sound. We will wait and see for XP and PT.
Jeff