PDA

View Full Version : too many plug ins....

alonzoslefthand
05-10-2002, 11:04 AM
i always get the "cpu is running out ofpower" message with only a dozen plug ins running, that cant be right...

my system-
p4 processor (1.5 ghz)
384 MBs ram

that seems like it shold be enough, right?

oh yeah, I've already taken off low latency moniytoring.... maybe my DAE buffer is too low?

Stone Knife
05-10-2002, 11:06 AM
Without telling us what your buffer settings are, it's difficult to say. images/icons/wink.gif
I'd bump up the RAM to 512, anyway. Is it DDR?

English Jim
05-10-2002, 11:32 AM
Also depends on the plug-ins. I get 24+11 on the Davec test no prob but 3 or 4 L2's will bring my system to its knees.

alonzoslefthand
05-10-2002, 01:45 PM
well, i have a dell, so my memory is rambus, so it;s kind of expensive to bump up the memory...

i've used numerous dea buffer settings, and continue to have the same problem.

if i use the largest dae buffer, i should be able to use more plug ins, but what is the downside of the large buffer?

english jim - not sure what you mean by

"24+11" is that 24 plug ins on 11 tracks or vice versa?

and whats the "Davec test"

and "L2's" also not familiar, bear with me i'm new to all this

English Jim
05-10-2002, 01:56 PM
http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=32;t=001474

Xman
05-10-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by alonzoslefthand:
i always get the "cpu is running out ofpower" message with only a dozen plug ins running, that cant be right...

my system-
p4 processor (1.5 ghz)
384 MBs ram

that seems like it shold be enough, right?

oh yeah, I've already taken off low latency moniytoring.... maybe my DAE buffer is too low?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You should increase your DAEbuffer if you run a lot of plugs(read a lot of plugs installed...) however if your CPU-power runs out due to alot of plugs active in a session -increasing the DAE-buffer won't give that much extra power ...the only thing happening when you increase the DAEbuff is that PT will buffer a sec or so before playback/recording begins.... it won't affect latencyissues so give it a try though... have you done all the other tweaks?

Lethargy
05-10-2002, 09:14 PM
Hey. I have a Dell also... Did you wipe everything out and start clean with it? They ship with so much useless garbage that it's definately worth your time to do so. You also might want to check and see if you have the latest driver for the motherboard, as that could definately cause problems like you're saying. Also, I don't know what version of Windows they're shipping with now, but you might want to consider using Win 98SE. It helped me out quite a bit. And make sure nothing else is running in the background (if that's not already obvious to you. Good luck

Mike

alonzoslefthand
05-13-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Lethargy:
Hey. I have a Dell also... Did you wipe everything out and start clean with it? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah i reformatted before i installed PTLE, i'm using windows 98 SE, so thats not it either, and i never have anything else running in the background...well i have a software firewall running, but thats it, maybe i should disable that and disconnect from the internet....

but i cant see how that would make much of a noticab;e difference...

I'm trying the performance test,and I'll report back here..

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!

Lethargy
05-13-2002, 11:16 PM
Hey... just wanted to mention again... After you wiped out the h/d and started from scratch, did you reinstall the latest drivers for your motherboard? That's gonna make a huge difference whether you did or not.

Mike

alonzoslefthand
05-14-2002, 09:09 AM
i'm not sure about the motherboard drivers - which means no, (if i had done it, then i would konw about it) i guess the dell supoort site would have that ?