PDA

View Full Version : digidesign abandons mac platform

mattm
05-10-2002, 07:56 AM
did anyone hear? digidesign is yet to release a version of protools that runs under OS X!!! how dare they!!! i mean OS X has been around for years and Windows XP too but no support for either!

i have heard, from a reliable source, that DigiDesign is abandoning support for the Apple Macintosh and is going to concentrate on a UNIX only product that will not be available to the general public!

vonbleak101
05-10-2002, 09:13 AM
Dont believe everything you hear, digi has the home/pro DAW market wrapped around its little finger, why would they abandon millions of dollars worth of paying custemers.

Targon
05-10-2002, 09:28 AM
sure u did phool- u know i heard Apple is only going to be supplying the CIA with iMac's, the general public will no longer be supported nor will they have access to Apple hardware or support.

Prolly the same guy eh?

This thread requires deletion

Targon images/icons/rolleyes.gif

daryl bowden
05-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I don't think you guys picked up on the sarcasm in his post. I believe he's just alluding to the fact that everyone on this side of the forum complains 24/7 that there is no XP support, while the mac side seems to get along pretty well w/o OSX support. The fact that mac machines dual boot from the factory just shows the genius of apple, and the fact that XP machines don't just shows the greed of Bill Gate$. Your precious XP support will be here soon, long before our OSX support, so hang in there for christ sake.

da BaSsTaRd!
05-10-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by daryl bowden:
The fact that mac machines dual boot from the factory just shows the genius of apple, and the fact that XP machines don't just shows the greed of Bill Gate$.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the fact that macs come with 2 OS's installed shows me that very few developers want to work with OSX. i think its pretty lame to have to switch operating systems every time you want to print.

citi
05-10-2002, 11:34 AM
I believe he's just alluding to the fact that everyone on this side of the forum complains 24/7 that there is no XP support, while the mac side seems to get along pretty well w/o OSX support.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Now Daryl...that is just a flat out lie. There are just as many "where is my OSX" support posts as there are for XP. You know, just like you over here, we do go over to the mac side.

images/icons/grin.gif

daryl bowden
05-10-2002, 11:39 AM
Oh, I don't deny that there are still annoying "I want my OSX posts", I'm just saying that we (I hate to say we like we are different) aren't as up in arms about the issue. I see a lot of people who bought PT and then figured out it didn't run on XP, so now they bitch and moan all day. It just gets real monotonous to hear the same thong over and over again. Admittedly, I spend way too much time on the DUC, so I guess that's why it anooys me so. In reference to Da_Basstard, what do you mean reboot to print? You can print with the same printer in OS9 and OSX. I actually never use OSX just because audio programs aren't heavily supported yet.

greenroom
05-10-2002, 02:15 PM
'Now that would worth waiting for. At least then I could find a use for my P.O.S. Palm Pilot. That should be another thread: Most overhyped useless, so-called must-have inventions'

Zoiks!!!! You have just saved me from an impulse buy!

Yeah i knew they were crap all along images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Okion
05-10-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by da BaSsTaRd!:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by daryl bowden:
The fact that mac machines dual boot from the factory just shows the genius of apple, and the fact that XP machines don't just shows the greed of Bill Gate$.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the fact that macs come with 2 OS's installed shows me that very few developers want to work with OSX. i think its pretty lame to have to switch operating systems every time you want to print.<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dude OSX rocks! take it from a developer OSX is like heaven compared to older MacOSs. The thing is Apple is still supporting both OSs becouse the difference is significant. me to xp is not nearly as big a leap.

siko
05-10-2002, 03:07 PM
Isn't OSX apples first release of the NEXT OS they purchased? if yes, then thats why its a huge difference from OS9.. Because its a completely different beast...

if not, my apologies.. i dont pay attention to the apple world... though fun to play with out of the box, they are too pricey for me...

da BaSsTaRd!
05-10-2002, 03:22 PM
In reference to Da_Basstard, what do you mean reboot to print? You can print with the same printer in OS9 and OSX. I actually never use OSX just because audio programs aren't heavily supported yet.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">my friend bought a shiny new G4 recently and he has to switch to OS9 to print because there are no drivers written for his printer on OSX. i'm no expert on OSX, but i have a feeling that the lack of drivers for OSX goes beyond printers and multitrack soundcards...

recordingguy
05-10-2002, 03:44 PM
I need Digi support for Windows CE...

images/icons/rolleyes.gif My HP Jornada needs ProTools...

Mark_Knecht
05-10-2002, 04:09 PM
matt,
I thought this was funny this morning when I saw it, but the truth is, if they release a Linux version of PTLE I'd probably be very happy to jump there. If they put the spinlocks in the the right places, I could use a 4 processor machine right now! images/icons/wink.gif

Cheers,
Mark

Originally posted by mattm:
did anyone hear? digidesign is yet to release a version of protools that runs under OS X!!! how dare they!!! i mean OS X has been around for years and Windows XP too but no support for either!

i have heard, from a reliable source, that DigiDesign is abandoning support for the Apple Macintosh and is going to concentrate on a UNIX only product that will not be available to the general public!<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

dcornutt
05-10-2002, 04:15 PM
da Bass is right...there are still plenty of drivers yet to be written for OS X. But, at this point...its not apples fault ..by that ..I mean..OS X's fault...but the companies that make the product who have just been dragging their feet to get it done..

So, Apple includes some "built in" print drivers for sevearl makes and models of printers. Epson was particularly slow.

Some companies are "still evaluating" OS X support! (sound familiar?)

While this is steadily improving..more drivers coming everyday...it can still be a sore point if you happen to own a piece of equipment from a company thats just sitting on their hands.

What kind of printer does your friend have DaBass?

da BaSsTaRd!
05-10-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by dcornutt:
What kind of printer does your friend have DaBass?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i think he does have an epson. can't remember exactly.

you shouldn't be so quick to lay the blame on 3rd party peoples for lame driver support. they must have a rational reason for not supporting OSX otherwise they would have finished them before OSX was released ('cause the SDK came out months in advance)...

Voideco
05-10-2002, 06:50 PM
Both Windows as OSX, both PC as Apple got its' own troubles, its weaknesses about which many topics arise: 'We want OSX support for this', 'We w3ant driver support for WXP' etc. etc. etc.

Both platforms, hard- and software-wise have their weirdnesses.

From what I've heard, Linux is an operating system in which every corner of your hardware device has been taken care off; every possible function of a card is acknowledged in its' drivers. Alltogether, Linux seems to me to be an operating system that is far and far more reliable then Windows (which I learned recently is written in basic, such a simple language) and even OS9 or OSX. Linux must be extremely reliable, but harder to learn than Windows or OSX.
Could it be that Digidesign is concentrating on that platform that gives the best performance (Linux?), and is thus ignoring marketing factors, like support for this or that so that we(on the Windows section of the DUC), get neglected. What I'm trying to say is, we as Windows PTLE-ers are pleading for support for WXP, better funcionality for PTLE for WME, 98, whatever, while Digidesign is only looking how to get that 001 running as good as possible, under whatever operating system. And while we are expecting some development of their Windows/001 line, and the Mac side wants better OSX support (for instance, they have their list of desires), the wizards from Digidesign is wondering "How can we possibly boost the performance of the 001 and what operating system is best for that? Linux?"

So a kind of undirected behaviour, development without overthought direction. My 2 cents.....
Voideco

dcornutt
05-10-2002, 10:56 PM
dbass,
Just wanted to make clear that my statements were referring to USB print drivers specifially (which have been working under OS X since the first release). Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Your point is of course..well taken..there are any number of reasons why a company might want to sit things out...even when the tools are available (ie...wait for better tools...more market share/user adoption...money..etc).

As far as your friend's epson printer...epson released the first OS X drivers for some of their printers in Oct /Nov of this year.
Mostly...it's for printer models that were within the last year or so. C60, C80....but there were a few surprises as well...like the 700 series.

Some of these newely released drivers are included in later revisions of OS X.1. But, have your friend check Epson's download page for his printer model to see if there is an OS X driver for it (they are adding more all the time).

Ultimately...they won't be supporting "all" the legacy printers....so he still might be SOL. but it might be an easy fix for his dual boot problem.

dcornutt

greenroom
05-11-2002, 12:07 AM
Yeah, why oh why oh why haven't we got PTLE for Palm OS yet. I mean it would be so cool to be recording a song with a lapel mike and a set of spoons for a rhythm track during all my boring meetings! images/icons/grin.gif

daryl bowden
05-11-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by greenroom:
Yeah, why oh why oh why haven't we got PTLE for Palm OS yet. I mean it would be so cool to be recording a song with a lapel mike and a set of spoons for a rhythm track during all my boring meetings! images/icons/grin.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Now that would worth waiting for. At least then I could find a use for my P.O.S. Palm Pilot. That should be another thread: Most overhyped useless, so-called must-have inventions.

mattm
05-11-2002, 07:26 AM
Linux, much like OS X, has it's roots in the wonderful world of UNIX.

i think there are just as many devices without XP driver support as there are devices without drivers for OS X. thing is, many manufacturers have drivers written for Windows 2000 so it is essentially far less difficult for them to produce drivers than it is for manufactureres to write them fresh for OS X.

it was a bit of an industry bombshell this time round with both microsoft and apple releasing completely revised (microsoft) or new (apple) operating systems around the same time, causing considerable strain on developer resources.

------------------------------------------

ps. i also heard that one about apple exclusively supplying the cia with computer hardware. i also heard these machines will run windows 3.11 for workgroups, as apple consider it to be far superior to any os they have ever released, including OS X. images/icons/shocked.gif