PDA

View Full Version : cpu problems

agent fu
05-09-2002, 06:52 PM
sorry that this post is not related to protools, but a lot of you guys are on athlons and i need a little advice.

i recently got myself a xp1700+, ran nicely..etc..etc...but soon after i bought it, i began getting highly frequrnt random restarts. after trying for a while to figure out why my (new) system was dying so horribly i began to smell an electrical burning. i then discovered that i had a floppy power cable lodged in my cpu fan. immidately after i freed the fan the computer bgan working as normal again, but problems are again arising...for example i couldn't even get as far as bios the other day, this was after computer had been off all night.

so....what im wondering is a few things: if the cpu is damaged (which seems likely to me), is the manufacturer likely to replace it? i ask this because i thought they were suppose to shut themselves off before getting so hot that they would be damaged. perhaps the threshold(sp) of heat recognition in my cpu was too high? secondly, considering that the cpui worked immidiately after the incident with no problemsm is it possibly that it is actually fine? many other things could be wrong with my computer.
also: with this kind of incident is it possible that damage to the mobo occured?

thanks if anyone can help..