PDA

View Full Version : whilst im sure everyone is sick of XP heres an update

The Caine
05-09-2002, 04:30 PM
Well im waiting on XP so i can actually use my system but i wont go into that because for some
bizarre reason if anyone actually posts anything that would not show dididesign in a favorable
light other users not even associated with the company will rally in support of of digi. Beating down
anyone with an opinion against digi. When did we become (people in the music industry) so
into corporate happiness that people are sacrificed in place of a faceless beauraucracy.

But anyway i felt the need to vent (isnt this a users forum). I am informed that the XP update
will under no circumstances be ready for its propsed may release and that it may possibly be
ready in June, but i wouldnt hold my breath. I know you guys are sick of hearing the bitching and
I've been very patient believe me, but try for a secong to imagine this. You have spent all your dollars on
a system you have heard so much about, you cant wait to get hauling. You buy a new pc a fat drive
512 ddr ram to chop through the guff. You set up xp and it rips everything is so much better. You are
informed that such a large company like digidesign is bound to be xp ready and that they are constantly
updating their software. Then you are informed its not yet xp ready and month by the month the release
crawls further and further away as does the use of your system. Those us with a new pc cant dual boot
if we dont have any other version of windows. Those of us without the money cant simply rectify the
problem with more expenditure. So you hit the digi duc in the hope of finding like minded people
who may have solutions or at least empathy. All you get is slammed by long time users that feel they are
a part of digi more than they are akin to other users. At least thats been my perception and the more posts
I read the more common occurence of Digi ignored me Digi was not even interested i find. Anyways I know
eventually ill get the update and il be a happy boy but i wont begrudge other users their agrievements.
Remebering th whole time that pro tools was a gift to the public it cost hard working dollars and they
should be held accountable.

Glad i got that out, hopefully in the future my posts will start with "gosh gee
this the best damn system ive ever used"

P.S. my typing sucks but hey what can you do .

The Caine
05-09-2002, 04:33 PM
that was supposed to be (freudian) digi was not a gift but hey i said my typing sucked

Kirkland
05-09-2002, 04:43 PM
You can go back and edit your posts you know...

Mark_Knecht
05-09-2002, 04:52 PM
Hey Caine,
I think you've got some stuff to say. That's cool. I'm not sure I agree (assuming I understand!) images/icons/wink.gif that the slant here has to be pro Digi or negative Digi. I think it goes both ways.

Even though I guess you purchased a machine with XP and are waiting, why not put a dual boot front-end on your machine, load Win ME or 98SE, and do some stuff right now? Seems like you could get into the game for $49 or so.

What ever you do, keep hanging out here. It's a pretty cool place that gets pretty heated some times. images/icons/wink.gif

Mark

Phil O'Keefe
05-09-2002, 05:16 PM
Gee, sorry you're so bummed out over your system. images/icons/frown.gif

First of all, I'm not someone who kisses corporate hind end. I try to be honest. I've voiced my complaints when I've felt they had it coming, but I'm also willing to give credit when it's deserved.

I'd love to know what your "source" for the "not ready by May, maybe June but don't hold your breath" rumor is.Especially when Digidesign has said tht they apprear to be on target for May, while MAYBE something last minute and unexpected could push that back a couple of weeks. They said that just a day or two ago, right here on these forums.

And no offense (I'm not trying to bag on you here), buy shame on you for believing your local salesperson's description of the capabilities and software availability and system requirements for ANY product. IMO, you should definitely check that out for yourself before buying - especially if what you're buying is taking all of your money. Had you done this, you would have seen (Digidesign has system requirements and compatability posted right here on their website) that XP support is not available as of this time, but it is under development.

I really don't understand the way people get mad at Digidesign for not announcing dates. They'd rather get it RIGHT to begin with than rush it out to meet some arbritary release date. And if they miss a announced release date for a product, companies are accused of "vaporware" by the customers. People hate when companies announce things a year or more before they actually ship, and they complain about that all the time. So it seems a bit unfair to criticize Digi when they DON'T do that - it's like they can't win either way. images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Sure, I'm as eager as the next person for XP support as well as a few other things (mac parity would be nice for starters images/icons/rolleyes.gif ), I just don't think that getting bent over the release date is going to solve anything.

Just hang in there for a couple more weeks - I'm sure the wait will be worthwhile. And next time, check with the manufacturer FIRST before buying. And if THEY give you bad info, then you've got a legit gripe. But rely on a salesperson to give you the right info? images/icons/shocked.gif

BBenesh
05-09-2002, 05:27 PM
I've been reading a lot about people getting pissed about having thier XP systems ready and DIGI not delivering, and the only thing I have to say is: Havent you people learned?

Im not here to start a HUGE argument, (maybe a little one images/icons/grin.gif ) But, you put so much faith in something so pull-out-of-your-ass-able. Pro Tools is out currently on 98 and ME, so why buy a system that is for XP in hopes that Digi will deliver in said time. This happens all the time, and no one should be surprised that the XP release wont be on time(assuming said rumor above is true). You have to plan for whats available. DIGI is on 98 right now, buy a 98 machine, build one, acquire one somehow, but dont go buy an XP system before the software is even released.

Heck, by even waiting until the software is released, you could probably get a better system by the time the XP release rolls around, for the same price as the machines are now. I know a lot of you are let down, but this sort of thing really does need to be planned better.

I for one know of this first hand. I just bought a new system, and was microseconds away from buying XP to run on the system. Then I thought about it, and said, "Why not just use ME, and buy XP later when the release is for XP." I saved me a lot of hassle of waiting.

This is just my take on things. Im sure I will get lots of negetive feedback in posts afterward, but oh well, like said above. Just venting, isnt this what forums are for?

images/icons/wink.gif

=-Ben

da BaSsTaRd!
05-09-2002, 05:37 PM
yo caine, i'm with you! i paid for this update over a year ago....

The Caine
05-09-2002, 05:53 PM
Just addressing a few points.
I have to have XP for my work as well as play so thats why i bought a system with XP.
Im in australia and its fairly hard to get any info direct from a source you can trust.
Im always dealer anxious and have never blindly bought a sytem, but this dealer in particular is the biggest dealer in aus and I have bought almost everything i have through them over a period of 8 years, so because they have been great in the past i assumed i could trust them .Secondly on that point, their info was coming from a digi sales rep and also digi has been stating XP release dates for months now so the delay is being reported by digi its not as if they never said it would be ready , initially they did.
I always hate it when someone says my friend at blah blah or my inside source from blah blah, so I didnt mean it to sound like that. It's simply a digi rep on behalf of my salesman that passed along the message that xp wouldnt be ready for may. My intention was actually to relieve any future posts of "hey it's the end of May ******mit where's my update".
Finally by actually jumping on my initial post as quick as you did, you actually proved my point by answering digi's gripes, are you guys actually digi guy's in hiding or do you just feel an inclination to defend them?
I m not in this for any kind of war either or else i never would have bought the system. I admit i jumped in quick with my order because i was so keen . This is like my ultimate system to let my musical meanderings become something more. Its just like you get your xmas present without the batteries so the first thing you do is scream at your parents why do hate me so much lol:-)I wont be bitching anymore it's really not my style, relax im not one of those guys who's life is so sad all they can do is post bitchy thoughts on a bb. Im not going back on the things ive said i just wanna move on now. Im hanging in there for the update, as I cant wait to try the worlds best system.

Oh yeah knock knock
Come in
Hey there my name is Caine and I just wanted to say hello to yall.
Let the music roll on .
( my fabulous new begining )

Stone Knife
05-09-2002, 05:55 PM
daB!
Please expand on this: You keep posting that you "paid for the XP update a year ago..." how is that possible? XP wasn't even released a year ago. images/icons/wink.gif How do you mean? did Digi tell you, buy this and it'll work on XP? Just curious... images/icons/smile.gif

TheCaine:
If you're going to post an "update", you have to source the information, or else it's suitable for fertilizer, not the bank.

Remember the rediculous situation M$ got itself into just two years ago? Announcing the Windows GUI on NT code... for the year 2000? What happened? A half-hybrid NT and a worse-than-ever 9x.

Now, even Ray Charles could have seen the XP compatability train coming a mile away, and it's ... about time PT got a ticket for it, but I sure can't blame the company for keeping vague the release date for the 5.+ update; it's only May 9 and this whining is reaching the May 31 level. How fast will the paint dry? Who knows.

BTW, we're expecting you at the altar no later than 11:30 tonight.

agent fu
05-09-2002, 06:07 PM
if the sales person misinformed you, and this is obvious and undeniable, why don't you call them and demand that they swith the version of windows packaged with your system (98 or ME)? take it in and get them to put an older version on it (it would be nice if they'd just give you a new windows box for 98 so you could do it yourself but they probably won't)...

have you tried in any way to rectify the situation with the dealer? personally if pay for something which doesn't live up to what it was supposed to do in any way i make myself a problem for the vendor until they do what's right.

btw was it harvey norman? they'll say anything to anybody to sell something.

da BaSsTaRd!
05-09-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Stone Knife:
daB!
Please expand on this...<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i paid for directconnect and video support. i didn't get a discount for features that i couldn't use when i bought the machine, i paid the full price of admission and i've been waiting a while for it.

by the way, ray charles is using sonar! (http://www.cakewalk.com/TheCompany/ArtistProfiles/Howard.html) i guess he got tired of waiting for xp support.

Stone Knife
05-09-2002, 07:02 PM
Gotcha. Thanks. images/icons/wink.gif

Ray Charles IS REALLY using Sonar! The program, not the location device. images/icons/cool.gif

The Caine
05-09-2002, 07:37 PM
No way did i buy from Harvey Norman they are the pits .I bought my system (not the pc ) from Pro Audio which is in another state and i bought i my pc from sunlit technologies . Im just biding my time till Xp comes out and it always seems close enough to hold out for. My dealer will tell me to do what im sure others have been told to do, pressure digi they are ones who said it would be ready. Plus i want this system when its running so ive no intention of handing it back.
Geez do u guys ever go "yeah that sucks . sorry you got blown" what is it with your love for the company, its really bizarre.

The Caine
05-09-2002, 07:39 PM
BTW Im so over this.

agent fu
05-09-2002, 07:53 PM
whats the point of saying 'yeah that sucks'?
of course it sucks...of course we wish digi had produced xp drivers allready..blah blah...

how many times does it need to be said?

if somebody defends digidesign is pretty likely to for the simple reason that their opinion of the situation is in favour of digidesign...

it kinda sounds like you think its us vs them...like they sit at a dim round table conspiring and plotting our inconveniences...they're just a bunch of people at work man...
every place ive ever worked has been behind schedule...its modern corporate trend to underestimate the time needed to achieve things.

i dont like or dislike digidesign...i dont care. we do what we gotta do...i was just trying to encourage you to stop brooding over the situating and do something proactive for yourself.

mfym
05-09-2002, 08:22 PM
The Caine:

Can you not dual boot with a 'borrowed' images/icons/rolleyes.gif copy of 98SE or ME? Surely you must have a friend with an older set up. And I'm not saying steal, copy or use a cracked version - this is a temporary solution for you.

BTW: This 'when is XP going to be released' stuff reminds me of when PTLE for PC was initially going to be released, and the release date kept getting pushed back. This was also before there even was a PTLE for PC forum (so we really have come along ways). People complained like there was no tomorrow. And every step of the way, it was leaked that 'oh, it's being copied now','oh, it's being sent out now','oh, there's alittle problem with the copies, I hear they made copies of the wrong master, it'll be delayed a few more days' and what not. If I didn't find it all so funny in a way, I would cry for the been there, done that thing.

soundsurfr
05-09-2002, 09:07 PM
"by the way, ray charles is using sonar! i guess he got tired of waiting for xp support."

Hey, if you were a blind guy, wouldn't you choose sonar? (Forgive me Ray - couldn't help it). images/icons/grin.gif

In actuality the deal is this: Digidesign is a business. The business guys are well aware that to keep the PC contingent of their customer base from jumping ship, they need to deliver the XP version of PT ASAP. They understand this whether we whine at them or not. They are also well aware that the longer it takes, the more existing and potential customers customers they may lose. In other words, they have a lot more to lose by missing the May date than most of us do. They are also well aware that if they deliver a buggy version in order to meet some pre-ordained deadline, they will anger most of their customers, lose some and scare away any potentional new buyers. Helluva lot more damage that way, I'd guess.

So they are doing the only thing they can do with the resources they have. We users have three choices. Wait and whine about it. Wait quietly. Or leave PT and move to a competitor product. I personally have chosen to wait. Having made that decision, I don't believe that whining is a productive use of my energy and I sure as hell don't want to pressure them into releasing a not-ready-for-prime-time version.

Listening to other people whining is also not a good use of my energy, so I'll stop here and get out of this thread while I still have enough caffeine in me to write some more music.

Xochi
05-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Did Jesus come back already?

Okion
05-09-2002, 10:11 PM
Cain,

I can feel it. I definatly want Digi to get it right before they shove it out on us. The issue is that it's a 2 OS world (actualy it's more than that but...) ...2 OS world..and digi is living in the 80s when you could release something on only 1 platform. What I don't understand is why they are so married to Apple. I was a zelot at one point just like any self respecting programmer, but the day of Mac superiority has come and gone.

The last remaining annoyances in the PC world is that drag scroll still goes way to fast, and files are still referenced by path instead of ID. (Oh yea, Linix kernal and all)

Anyway, they should at least keep up with the windows side enough to be on the latest OS.

The thing that really gets me is the whole closed platform buisness. That is what buit Apple, and the same thing that killed Apple. I am afraid Digi needs to wake up in this reguard.

Stone Knife
05-09-2002, 10:26 PM
Okion-
I think they have or else there wouldn't be any upcoming XPLE, hmmm?

The Avid/Digi deal started with Apple, they understand the OS,

Writing programs for Windows seems to be like learning a language from a teacher that doesn't want to tell you too much. The Windows API is not, I have a feeling, completely available to folks outside of M$.

This is not to say I don't understand the frustration! If I read Mac Only again I'll have to shoot somebody.
Those Keyboard overlays about cost my neighbor's life.
images/icons/wink.gif

BBenesh
05-09-2002, 10:55 PM
Actually
Most media based production is on an apple for a simple reason:
They are designed for it.

Apple uses a RISC based chipset, which, unfortunately for us PC users, handles commands on a much faster base, giving them the edge in this industry. Im sure most of you saw the protools DIGI001 video. They we're installing that stuff on a G3, which runs qt 350mhz.(maybe it was a G4, but it was still at 350 or 400 Mhz).

Why are we having problems running ProTools on 900mhz systems, and apples are using 500 mhz systems? Its all that Reduced Instructions Set Computer.

So, Apples day has not come yet, but in fact, there are two worlds. And two platforms. You want a network? You run a PC, you want media production, you use an Apple. Thats just it.

crs117
05-09-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by BBenesh:
Actually
Most media based production is on an apple for a simple reason:
They are designed for it.

Apple uses a RISC based chipset, which, unfortunately for us PC users, handles commands on a much faster base, giving them the edge in this industry. Im sure most of you saw the protools DIGI001 video. They we're installing that stuff on a G3, which runs qt 350mhz.(maybe it was a G4, but it was still at 350 or 400 Mhz).

Why are we having problems running ProTools on 900mhz systems, and apples are using 500 mhz systems? Its all that Reduced Instructions Set Computer.

So, Apples day has not come yet, but in fact, there are two worlds. And two platforms. You want a network? You run a PC, you want media production, you use an Apple. Thats just it.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I dont want to sound rude or anything, but you have totally bought into the mac hype that was only partially true maybe 5 years ago. The fastest macs today are only about 60-75% as fast as the fastest Pc's today. Sure mhz per mhz mac is faster by comparison but i mean an amd 1800 mhz xp chip is about twice as fast as an 800 mhz g4.

Any type of software that mac used to excel in has been equaled or surpased on the Pc platform as of lately (with pt soon to follow i am sure).

Pc's cost way less then current macs, plus you have more options with what you want in your pc. You say well with all that various hardware you are going to run into driver problems, well not with xp because there is not a common folder with a common set of drivers. Each device has its own driver folder, its own individual drivers, and you can now run multiple versions of the same software without driver conflicts as you could previously not do.

Not only that but i enjoy a nice little computer game every now and again, and if i purchased a mac i couldnt afford any extra software first of all, but i also wouldnt have a much of a choice for games either.

Mac's day to shine was several years ago. They know this or else they wouldnt be proceeding with plans to support amd chips in new mac computers (or even porting mac osx to pc). I think i will stick with my Pc and just see what happens in the next couple of years. i am not saying that macs are going to die all of a sudden but you will start to see once mac only professions start to consider PC instead for financial reasons.

Christian

BBenesh
05-10-2002, 12:34 AM
(english accent) No, No, No, you've got it all backwards.

The different chipset is only a little of what sets it apart. sure, I dont doubt that 400mhz mac will be faster then a 400mhz Intel chip, but havent you ever wondered why a 500mhz Mac is running a more smoother operation then a 2GHZ Intel chip? With fewer problems? MHZ is like horsepower, It doesnt matter how many you have, its what gets put out. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 215 horsepower, that will outrun a 345 hp cadillac. The difference is in refinement and tuning. Same with our computer systems.

I hate Macs, but I will admit, they are some highly tuned systems. Apple puts out great products, with a limited purpose.

Another beauty of MAC systems, is that everything is integrated into the Mac itself. Sure, I dont like that idea, I like to build my system myself, but other people like the beauty of a TRULY plug and play system, and will pay to have this. Maybe Macs will support AMD chips in the future( a rumour I have never heard, but will accept), but I guarentee that Mac will include the same ease f use that it has now.

People will pay for simplicity, and that is where Apple will shine; not all people are techie nerds like us images/icons/wink.gif

=-Ben

da BaSsTaRd!
05-10-2002, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by soundsurfr:
"by the way, ray charles is using sonar! i guess he got tired of waiting for xp support."

Hey, if you were a blind guy, wouldn't you choose sonar? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">so i guess you're saying that sonar sounds better than PT?

i've been scoping out sonar for the past few days. its pretty hot, i got to tell you. it has so many really cool and useful functions built in like samplers and acid-like-looping. its a great creation tool. i'm buying a new soundcard this week just for sonar. AND, it runs on winxp and its so rock solid you can't even imagine.

siko
05-10-2002, 08:53 AM
ya, it sucks waiting for this, but all i got to say, is if you play video games, compare this to Duke Nukem Forever, or Team Fortress 2. If you don't, there are plenty of gaming sites out there that can tell you their 3+ year development and the repected companies are only saying "when its done" as a release date.

At least the light of the end of the tunnel is in site.. even if it gets put back a couple weeks...

this isn't so bad... comparitively speaking anyways..

siko

Digi9000000
05-10-2002, 10:07 AM
You think YOU'RE pissed now...

wait until the next version of Pro Tools LE comes out and it's ONLY available on XP. Then watch as all the 98/ME/2000/NT users go ape****.

Stone Knife
05-10-2002, 10:19 AM
We've known it's going to be XP only for several months now. Over it.
crs117 is right about the speed.

Mark_Knecht
05-10-2002, 10:20 AM
images/icons/wink.gif Nahh....I'm over being pissed about that. Now I'm building my new hardware platform. It's actually fun when you make a decision and move forward with something you want...

Originally posted by Digi9000000:
You think YOU'RE pissed now...

wait until the next version of Pro Tools LE comes out and it's ONLY available on XP. Then watch as all the 98/ME/2000/NT users go ape****.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

da BaSsTaRd!
05-10-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by siko:
...if you play video games, compare this to Duke Nukem Forever...<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">EXACTLY! that's a great analogy because look at Serious Sam. Same concept, same strategies, same game personality. perfect example of what happens when you're too slow - someone takes your great idea and runs with it and makes all the money that should have gone into your pocket.

pk_hat
05-10-2002, 11:31 AM
wow, what a roller-coaster ride this thread is!

I agreed with some, disagreed with others and with the rest of your comments, fell somewhere in between.

First, about Sonar. DaBass is right and I'm not backing him because we also happen to be friends, but I remember Sonar being demoed to me when it was first released and I remember thinking 'now why the f*** would I want to go back to PT after seeing what I just saw...'

Sonar is the 'sleepr' hit sequencer because they're marketing may not be as 'glossy' as Logic or Cubase, but if everyone in the US and Europe gave it a fair shot, it would literally kill the competition.

And it gets better as Sonar 2.0 is about to hit the stores. As for Ray Charles using Sonar, maybe that should be indicative of the obvious. He doesn't give a rat's ass about what the interface looks like, how many plugins he can run, what OS to use, etc. He plays his keys, records his stuff, hears it back, and there you go.

Why don't I jump ship and just use Sonar, some of you will ask? Simply because PT does what I need it to do and I don't need the hassle of learning a new softare package, no matter how easy it may be to get to grips with.

Seems that many of us have lost the initial purpose of all of this, that is to just capture out musical ideas on some type of recording format. I'll be the first to admit i don't know much about XP, only that it's apparently very stable and that most machines come loaded with it standard nowadays.

With that in mind, I then understand the frustrations of users who bought a PC recently only to have their recording ambitions thwarted by an incompatible OS.

If you buy a new PC loaded with XP, run over to GC and drop $800 on an 001 sytem only to spend the rest of the day crying, then I'm sorry, you should know better. This DUC has been a great ressource for things bought and future gear considered, compatibility issues have been available here since day 1.

This brings us to the points made about sales reps and the information they give us at the shop. With a few stellar exceptions, I'd have to say that in general, most of these guys are simply poorly trained or too lazy to do a bit of research themselves.

So, whether you live in South Dakota, Australia, Turkey or Iceland, it doesn't matter, you can find out so many facts about any piece of gear before venturing out on a big - and perhaps - regrettable purchase. Magazines, internet sites, it's all out there, anything you need to know.

If you want links, I can post them (again) on a different thread.

On the other hand, those running PT on Win98 and ME and have this incredible urge to get the XP release. But I ask, why? If what you have now isn't stopping you from creating some killer bass lines and a few ideas or loops for future songs, then take a deep breath and just keep on recording, XP will come sooner or later! OK, maybe later, but it's only the may 10, relax!

Yeah, I'm anxiuous as well but honestly, I don't 'make' time to think about it and let it consume me, I have tracks to prepare, CDs to burn, remixes to remix and the sudden arrival of PT on XP is not going to accelerate the process, much less make my music sound any better!

wheww.....

the ambivalence of this subject is often too much to absorb, but I just wanted to voice my thoughts on it, and I feel the next PT release will be worth the wait.

pk

BBenesh
05-10-2002, 05:06 PM
B.Ray, horsepower doesnt mean jack without other valuable components. The point I am trying to make is that just because you can load your computer with the highest Mhz processor, doesnt mean its the best. Much like my horsepower comparison, just because you have more horses doesnt mean its the fastest thing out.

It is all about tuning. Horsepower itself is nothing without tuning. Who wants 800 horsepower at 7500 RPMs? at a level you will never reach? In a vehicle that is properly tuned, you will get it where you need it.

So, why dont you learn some facts, and read for once about what you "think" you know you are talking about?

da BaSsTaRd!
05-10-2002, 06:00 PM
is that why mack trucks don't compete in formula 1? they have much more horsey-power than those silly ferraris.

BBenesh
05-10-2002, 06:33 PM
D BAstard, I dont know if that was a sarcastic post or not, but it proves my point exactly. So, I will credit you that. Thank you.

=-Ben

The Caine
05-10-2002, 09:53 PM
wow thats a new experience my last post mysteriously dissapeared . Can you say corporate control?

Anyways im not continuing the argument its older than my jocks.I was just suprised by the missing post it wasnt profane but it did post some questions on whether or not some of the people on the duc are actually digidesginers in hiding .I guess they answered that one.
Enough of this bollocks now, my new posts will begin with ...hey isnt The Caine a whining bitch:-)

B.Ray
05-11-2002, 12:46 AM
I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 215 horsepower, that will outrun a 345 hp cadillac. The difference is in refinement and tuning.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm continually amused by people who rant and rave about things they obivously know nothing about.

"...refinement and tuning..."?, that IS what horsepower is all about.

How about backing up your claims with some real facts & figures?

B.Ray
05-11-2002, 11:29 AM
So, why dont you learn some facts, and read for once about what you "think" you know you are talking about?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've read all of your posts in this thread and still have yet to see any proof that what your're saying is true. On he Mac/PC argument, there is undenialble proof that MHz matters. Go and visit the performance threads in both forums to see for yourself.

As far as your 215 hp Jeep out running a 345 hp Cadillac is concerned...that's just plain silly. What, the Cadillac was on four flats? Or you disconnected three of its sparkplug wires? Is that what you mean when you talk about "...proper tuning..."?

Where is your proof? Show me test results or actual race results. I'm an avid race fan of all types (F1, CART, IRL, Winston Cup, Busch, Drag Racing - NRHA & IHRA) and I know quite a bit about motors, and the difference between Dyno horsepower and Brake horsepower. I also own a Corvette and a Triumph TR6 and am very familiar with various suspension issues (shocks, swaybars, 3-link, 4-link) and different tire compounds and how they affect performance.

Reading? Oh yeah, I've done a lot of reseacrh and reading re: automobile performance.

SHOW ME YOUR PROOF OR SHUT UP!!!

The Caine
05-11-2002, 07:34 PM
Hey I drive an Austalian Chrysler Valiant Charger Vh 770 265 Hemi that would wipe the floor stock standard with that jeep with en elephant driving my charger . I mean are you kidding me?

marcusb
05-12-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by da BaSsTaRd!:
i paid for directconnect and video support. i didn't get a discount for features that i couldn't use when i bought the machine, i paid the full price of admission and i've been waiting a while for it.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">FFS! ... it was VERY WELL KNOWN that the PC didn't support DirectConnect or video support from the outset. 5.01 for the Mac didn't have directconnect support either.

If you bought the 001 on the strength of these "alleged" features it serves you right, caveat emptor, you should've done your research.

I for one am getting really tired of every second post on the DUC being a bunch of whingers sulking about all these features you don't have.

I've seen better signal to noise figures on blackface ADAT's than I see here.

Aaaaaaarrrrghhhh!

Marcus

recordingguy
05-12-2002, 10:44 PM
images/icons/shocked.gif

JasonWorrel
05-12-2002, 11:47 PM
This topic just shows that EVERYTHING will eventually degenerate to a MAC vs. PC argument. images/icons/grin.gif

marcusb
05-13-2002, 01:46 AM
I'm a reasonbly content PC user most of the time as a matter of fact, the system has limitations but I can't think of one that could be classified as a showstopper. I just don't see the point of bitching and moaning about it all the time, I just get on with the job. Digi are listening, trust me. It would be nice if they did communicate with us more but what can you do.

Sure it bugs the hell out of me that I have to run slave sessions to work on vocals, it's annoying I can't run as many plugins as i'd like, it's annoying that more third party developers aren't supporting us the list goes on. However at the end of the day, the system runs for hours on sessions without any lockups or crashes, the PT software can't be beat, it's fast its intuitive ... I do a lot of tracking, a lot of mixing, my clients are happy (they really couldn't give a f*ck that I can't run directconnect images/icons/smile.gif ) and at the end of the day I get paid and get plenty of return and referred work.

I'll stop ranting now.

Marcus