PDA

View Full Version : AMD Athlon Fan Noise Gone! Thanks

Swaphappy
05-09-2002, 01:29 PM
The Flower heat sink and fan is on my T-Bird!
I can't believe it! images/icons/smile.gif
The noise of the Athlon T-bird CPU fan is gone.
The new Flower Cooler is so quite all I can hear
now is the hard drive spinning and that is not very loud. My power supply was already quite so
that was not an issue.

Link to What is a Flower cooler and installation steps. (http://filebox.vt.edu/users/merc/FHS/FlowerCooler.htm)

I think what did it was the ability to use a
larger and slower moving fan. I didn't even have to set the speed control on silent mode because
the medium speed was enough to get rid of the noise.

Whew what difference!

Mark_Knecht
05-09-2002, 03:08 PM
Humm...OK, I think I'll get one too! Where'd you buy it? Copper or Aluminum?

elwoodblues
05-09-2002, 03:39 PM
good to know..my athlon sounds like Bruce Lee's legs when he kicks 8 guys in a single leap...ummm, okay that means loud.. images/icons/grin.gif

I got to get away from work....

Cossist
05-09-2002, 04:19 PM
I got the Pure Copper Zalman from www.gogocity.com (http://www.gogocity.com) for $40. With good venting from the power supply, you might not need case fans. I even mounted the speed adjustment knob to the side of the case. They have my praise.

Swaphappy
05-10-2002, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Mark_Knecht:
Humm...OK, I think I'll get one too! Where'd you buy it? Copper or Aluminum?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I got her from QuietPC.com (http://www.quietpcusa.com/) and I paid $48 plus
$6 shipping and it's the all copper model CNPS6000-CU.
More info in the spec sheet in the link on
my original post.

I got the idea from other posts on DUC
so I am saying THANKS to whoever it was
that originally mentioned the Flower Cooler.
Was it EL Matador? I don't know.
Now if I could just stay away from loud music.

greenroom
05-10-2002, 05:16 AM
It was me!!!!!

Hurahh for Zalman

Swaphappy
05-10-2002, 07:34 AM
Many thanks go to Greenroom
for the quiet Flower Cooler advise. images/icons/cool.gif

Targon
05-10-2002, 09:07 AM
Installed a CNPS6000CU Flower today as well... much better than the sound that disturbs my next door neighbours that the Volcano 7 produced.

I noticed now the case fan is hella noisy so im going to replace it with a Papst. Supposed to be the quietest case fan....12dba...cool images/icons/tongue.gif

chek it

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/00025.html?id=yLbIPDEt

Targon

Stone Knife
05-10-2002, 11:04 AM
Targon-
Thanks for the link- those guys have lots of useful stuuf.

Duke 24
05-10-2002, 02:03 PM
I have a zalman flower cooler 6000cualu
it reduces the noise alot but there is 1 draw back I have noticed.

The Fan causes a low vibration which i can hear downstairs while watching the TV.
The solution to this problem is to sit the PC on some foam, which stops the vibrations from the case transmitting through the floor.

By the way what CPU temp are you guys running with your zalman coolers?

greenroom
05-10-2002, 02:11 PM
I'm running at about 45C under full load with my Athlon 1Ghz overclocked to 1.33 images/icons/tongue.gif

Duke 24
05-10-2002, 02:20 PM
I am running around 43 under load with case open with XP 1800

Duke 24
05-10-2002, 02:21 PM
I am running around 43 under load with case open with XP 1800 images/icons/wink.gif

yavuzj
05-10-2002, 07:39 PM
I took out my chipset fan today. I adjusted the CPU fan angle so it cools both the CPU and the chipset now. Guess what it works. My chipset is working w/o problems. Noise is even lower now. images/icons/smile.gif

greenroom
05-11-2002, 12:11 AM
You know, i put a Zalman in, then a quiet PSU, now its the 4 HDs that are noisy!!!

Anyone for silentdrive sleeves?

Targon
05-11-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by greenroom:
You know, i put a Zalman in, then a quiet PSU, now its the 4 HDs that are noisy!!!

Anyone for silentdrive sleeves?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dude buy Seagate Barracuda IV drives, they are silent due to the Fluid Dynamic Berring Head, you wont need silent sleeves with these drives trust me. BTW they perform better than all other ATA 100 drives.

Targon

Targon
05-11-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Duke 24:
I have a zalman flower cooler 6000cualu
it reduces the noise alot but there is 1 draw back I have noticed.

The Fan causes a low vibration which i can hear downstairs while watching the TV. The solution to this problem is to sit the PC on some foam, which stops the vibrations from the case transmitting through the floor.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">U serious? I dont hear any vibration. Doesnt yer case have rubber feet? Also is it possible this vibration you have is due to the way the fan arm is mounted to the chassis? Perhaps some rubber grommet type washers could be used when screwing this to the chassis?

By the way what CPU temp are you guys running with your zalman coolers?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"><Athlon XP 1800+> Around 48-50ºC with the fan adjustment at its lowest setting (silent mode). I turned the rotation of the fan up slightly so the bios reports 2000RPM for this fan, now under load it fluctuates between 44-46ºC.

Btw guys i just bought a Zalman "Fan Mate1" and connected it to my temporary case fan and slowed the rotation down to 2000RPM. This Fan Mate1 is the same fan adjuster that comes with the Flower. The Fan Mate1 cost about 6bux, its wikid. I didnt see it on the Zalman web page tho.

yavuzj- Serious, the northbridge fan really does make some noise? Is it much of a difference? Im thinking of removing the northbridge chip fan and replacing it with a Zalman Northbridge heat sink. Worth the trouble you think? I have a GA-7DXR+, same board as you right?

Targon

el matador
05-11-2002, 03:59 AM
That's great news. I am really happy with my cheaper 22.00 zalman cooler from. http://www.siliconacoustics.com/foratandpeni.html
I guess if u have the money u can get the more expensive one. These forums can be really helpfull.

Duke 24
05-11-2002, 05:19 AM
Targon

My case has rubber feet I will be getting some washers obviousley but, I thought it would be a good point to mention so people that have purchased one can go get some washers before it arrives.

Duke 24
05-11-2002, 05:24 AM
I forgot has anyone used the powersnooze matieral from quiet pc as I would be interested to see by how much it reduces the noise from a PC?

yavuzj
05-11-2002, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Targon:
[QUOTE]yavuzj- Serious, the northbridge fan really does make some noise? Is it much of a difference? Im thinking of removing the northbridge chip fan and replacing it with a Zalman Northbridge heat sink. Worth the trouble you think? I have a GA-7DXR+, same board as you right?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have GA7DX!!So similar...
Well, I have run heavy session on Logic Audio with 20 Instances of Samplers and synths with lots of efx. I used my PC for 10hrs straight around 50-60 % CPU load and the chipset did not burn. So, I think it is OK.

BTW, System temprature means the chipset temprature right? If that is the case it was around 75 degrees all the time. You DO need to adjust your CPU fans angle so it cools both CPU and the Chipset. The CPU temp. went up a few degrees but not much. I compensated by increasing the fan speed just a touch.