PDA

View Full Version : PC Configuration

milesyoung
05-09-2002, 06:29 AM
Hi,

I decided it was time for a complete clear up of my PC last night since I'm not currently in the middle of a project. I have also been suffering from some spontaneous restarts recently as well.

I have set everything up as follows, after reformatting both my drives and comments/recommendations would be appreciated:

PC:
Dell Dimension 8100 1.3GHZ Pentium 4
Intel 850 Chipset
Windows ME with all updates
384mb RDRAM
2 x 20GB IDE drives
Audigy card
Network card for DSL connection

I have enabled DMA on both drives, although only the second one is for my audio. I have installed all PTLE software and plugins on my system drive however (is that correct, or should I have everything on the audio drive?).

My DIGI001 PCI card is in the middle of 5 slots, with a space above and below and I noticed in my BIOS that it is sharing IRQ3 with my Network card (should I change this, and if so, how?)

I removed all the outer-casing and cleaned an unbelievable amout of dust, thinking that overheating was perhaps causing my restarts. However, everything was fine until I had installed the DIGI001. I wasn't using Protools but I was copying a file from a CD to a folder on my C drive, causing a restart.

I've read lots of posts about these restarts and I have come to the conclusion that it is the DIGI001 so hopefully, when a WinXP update comes out, this won't be a problem anymore.

I have also read all those posts about setting Virtual Memory to 1.5 - 2 times my RAM, setting PC as a network server etc, but surely if it is not in the Windows setup section of the documentation, it means it won't make a difference as far as Digidesign is concerned. Someone please enlighten me regarding this!!

I look forward to your comments. images/icons/smile.gif

Miles

8mmOverdose
05-09-2002, 03:43 PM
my vote is that the irq sharing is the problem. if you cant hard set the irq's in the bios, then remove all cards and add them back in one at a time STARTING with the digi. try slot #3 for the digi. you will need to re-boot after adding in each card. you have a few cards stuffed in that system and may need to experiment a bit until you get them all working together.

Pako
05-09-2002, 04:08 PM
I would also have to agree...

Make sure that your NIC card is disabled in Device Properties...

If your in a down time, and can spare not having a internet connection for a while, try pulling the nic card out as well. Run some heavy loaded sessions for a while and see if all is well. Then you can try re-installing it as far away from the digi as possible.

As 8mm stated, I would also guess that your having IRQ issues...

da BaSsTaRd!
05-09-2002, 05:40 PM
you guys are both wrong. the problem is that you're running PT on that buggy win98. you should update your OS to win XP.

oops, i forgot. we don't have xp drivers yet... sorry...

8mmOverdose
05-09-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by da BaSsTaRd!:
you guys are both wrong. the problem is that you're running PT on that buggy win98. you should update your OS to win XP.

oops, i forgot. we don't have xp drivers yet... sorry...<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">troublemaker! images/icons/grin.gif

phdumas
05-09-2002, 07:14 PM
Hey Milesyoung, check your power supply wattage just for fun. I have a Dell and my power supply is only 135 watts. Some people on duc are surprised I can even turn my computer on. It could be what is causing your spontaneous reboot problem.

Also what about plug-ins with the pace protection system. I heard that they might cause the spontaneous reboot.

Philippe Dumas