PDA

View Full Version : iZotope RX's converted tracks shifted in time

atticmike
05-31-2017, 05:13 AM
Alright,

So I've converted a Pro Tools session from 44.1 to 48k, did the same thing for the audio files in RX5 which I replaced with the files in the converted Pro Tools session, but now on the timelime, everything is shifted, as in the graphics on the files (waveforms) don't match up with what I'm hearing when I play back. If I keep the original files from Pro Tool's audio conversion, they fit the display, but if I replace them with iZotope RX's conversion, everything plays back later in time...

Do you have any idea what's happening? I used a friend's RX on his laptop to do the conversion and try out the conversion quality vs pro tool's. But if RX is messing up the timing audio file's position, that's of no use to me practically...

Drew Mazurek
05-31-2017, 05:32 AM
Alright,

So I've converted a Pro Tools session from 44.1 to 48k, did the same thing for the audio files in RX5 which I replaced with the files in the converted Pro Tools session, but now on the timelime, everything is shifted, as in the graphics on the files (waveforms) don't match up with what I'm hearing when I play back. If I keep the original files from Pro Tool's audio conversion, they fit the display, but if I replace them with iZotope RX's conversion, everything plays back later in time...

Do you have any idea what's happening? I used a friend's RX on his laptop to do the conversion and try out the conversion quality vs pro tool's. But if RX is messing up the timing audio file's position, that's of no use to me practically...

I think I understand what you did.

What you should have done was simply use Save Session Copy to convert the session and PT would/should have done it all for you. (unless I am missing something)

atticmike
05-31-2017, 06:42 AM
I think I understand what you did.

What you should have done was simply use Save Session Copy to convert the session and PT would/should have done it all for you. (unless I am missing something)

That's what I did, all worked fine (all in place and works as before). But now, if I use RX to additionally convert the 44.1k files and replace them in the new 48k pro tools project, everythign is off. Like the audio is delayed in time forward and doesn't line up with the session's wave graphics. Wtf is RX doing?

yoerik roevens
05-31-2017, 07:00 AM
did you use RX standalone or as PT plug-in? In the latter case, did you make sure handles were set to 0 secs?

albee1952
05-31-2017, 08:48 AM
Why use RX to convert sample rate? Why not simply import the audio and let Pro Tools do the conversion? Beyond that, you could import the RX-processed audio to new tracks, and use the original tracks to relocate the new audio:o

bad jitter
05-31-2017, 09:14 AM
Rebuild the waveforms?

atticmike
05-31-2017, 03:30 PM
did you use RX standalone or as PT plug-in? In the latter case, did you make sure handles were set to 0 secs?

I use the standalone app for the batch processing 48k movie preset. I also set dithering to truncate because there is no bitrate conversion.

Why use RX to convert sample rate? Why not simply import the audio and let Pro Tools do the conversion? Beyond that, you could import the RX-processed audio to new tracks, and use the original tracks to relocate the new audio:o

That's the first thing I do as I've described down below, but I want afterwards to replace the PT audio files with RX because it is nearly flawless in terms of no distortion, phase et cetera.

Rebuild the waveforms?

Well, the first thing I do, is take the project, save as new copy, set the sample rate to 48 (originally 44.1) and let Pro Tools create a new Project. If I open up this project, everything plays back correctly (with Pro Tools' converted tracks from 44.1 to 48k inside a new project), correctly as in it corresponds with the waveform and the project looks 1:1 as in 44.1, as it should obviously.

The second thing I do is now taking the old 44.1 files from the project and convert them iZotope's RX from 44.1 to 48k, delete the PT 48k files from the new 48k project I created with pro tools and replace them with the RX converted tracks. That's when the audio playback won't fit the project anymore. Why does RX delay the tracks? Is there an option I'm overseeing?

DarkandKurious
05-31-2017, 09:12 PM
I use the standalone app for the batch processing 48k movie preset. I also set dithering to truncate because there is no bitrate conversion.

That's the first thing I do as I've described down below, but I want afterwards to replace the PT audio files with RX because it is nearly flawless in terms of no distortion, phase et cetera.

Well, the first thing I do, is take the project, save as new copy, set the sample rate to 48 (originally 44.1) and let Pro Tools create a new Project. If I open up this project, everything plays back correctly (with Pro Tools' converted tracks from 44.1 to 48k inside a new project), correctly as in it corresponds with the waveform and the project looks 1:1 as in 44.1, as it should obviously.

The second thing I do is now taking the old 44.1 files from the project and convert them iZotope's RX from 44.1 to 48k, delete the PT 48k files from the new 48k project I created with pro tools and replace them with the RX converted tracks. That's when the audio playback won't fit the project anymore. Why does RX delay the tracks? Is there an option I'm overseeing?

Are you hearing the mismatch as well as seeing it? Try phase cancelling one of the PT converted files with one of the RX files.

When I have used RX standalone to edit files, save as a new file and import the new file, PT will still see the original waveform as some zoom settings. The only way I have dealt with this is to rebuild the waveforms from the clip list command. I think the reason for this is that PT saves the file ID as some form of metadata, and it links that metadata with the waveform cache. RX doesn't change that ID, so every time you import a file with the same ID, PT asks you to stamp it with a new ID.

As the 44.1 files that are upsampled have the ID for the 44.1 waveforms, it might be that they are simply showing you the waveform cache crosslinked with the new audio.

Rich Breen
06-01-2017, 08:06 AM
Does seem like a lot of trouble to go through for questionable benefit, but that said, there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Should be fairly easy to troubleshoot this:
Pull the Izo 48k converted files and the PT 48k converted files into the same session, then check:
Are the Izo and PT files the same length?
Does the audio within the files line up? if not, does it drift or is it off by some fixed amount? How far is it off (beginning and end of file)?

This will at least give us some idea of what's going on.

gives
06-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Alright,

I think depending on what version of RX you are using, since I don't see that here, you may be able to adjust for time delays in the RX prefs. I usually export out using Protools as the host and then import back in always checking the timing by creating a duplicate track, it's pretty easy to do that way. Worked fine on some dialogue on a feature I did last summer when I was fixing a lot of problems prior to mixing and scoring. Might check with isotope support also. They are good at helping. G

Top Jimmy
06-01-2017, 08:50 AM
Rebuild the waveforms?

+1

What this means is you should rebuild the waveforms after swapping out for the RX'd files.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

atticmike
06-01-2017, 12:11 PM
So that's what it looks like if I compare both conversions, but the question is, who's doing it properly? Well the PT files match up obviously in the Project but maybe Pro Tools fixes this at the project's end?

Why can't I just convert files in iZotope and replace them with the Pro Tools' session? -.- Would've been too easy I guess...

Top Jimmy
06-01-2017, 12:23 PM
So that's what it looks like if I compare both conversions, but the question is, who's doing it properly? Well the PT files match up obviously in the Project but maybe Pro Tools fixes this at the project's end?

Why can't I just convert files in iZotope and replace them with the Pro Tools' session? -.- Would've been too easy I guess...

The real question should be "Do the RX'd files sound better?" If you can't tell or the difference isn't worth it, don't sweat the why, just stick with the process in Pro Tools.

DarkandKurious
06-02-2017, 04:48 AM

Is this a screen shot after you've forced ProTools to recalculate the waveform from the clip list in the right hand side? What do they sound like? Is there a flam between the two tracks? If you reverse the phase of one of the tracks to you hear anything? Does the waveform change to be the same if you zoom into the sample level?

I just converted a session with a snare sample from 44.1 to 48, and then sample converted the 44.1 clip to 48 in RX as well, imported it, and saw the waveform mismatched. However, they sound relatively identical (nulling to below -60dB, which incidentally shows that there is a difference between ProTools and RX that can differ enough that this is worth your time - I don't know many mastering engineers who would use PT for sample conversion). Zooming in, the waveform will start to show correctly. Recalculating the waveform will fix the visual issue.

Protools shows different information at different zoom levels, and based on its waveform databases. If the audio sounds the same, and audibly occurs at the same spot you need to force ProTools to redraw the waveform.

If you hear a flam between the two tracks, then there is a problem with the RX conversion.

Personally I trust the RX conversion much more than PT, as PT does some weird things adding silence to the start and end of mp3s that it imports. I've never had Izotope add any extra audio, just that PT needs to be told there is a new waveform to display.