PDA

View Full Version : Cannot record enable TWO midi sources at once

Stormshadow2k
05-27-2017, 01:04 PM
Hi!

I am using a Roland digital drum set to trigger Superior Drummer, and I am using a Roland midi keyboard to trigger Xpand2 in Pro Tools 12.4. Both are connected to my pc via USB cables. Ive tried being really thorough when setting up each tracks channels etc.

When I hit recordenable on the drum track, the xpand track no longer recieves any signal input from the midikeyboard and vice versa.

In short - I cannot recordenable both tracks and have 2 midi inputs at the same time, the first track will loose its input signal when I recordenable the other.

Is there any way around this? When I jam with my friends in my studio I really want to have output from drums AND synth at the same time.

Thank you kindly for any and all input! -Cris

ChuckS
05-27-2017, 01:54 PM
Can you post a snapshot of the tracks showing the MIDI I/O settings?

Top Jimmy
05-27-2017, 02:14 PM
One of the modifiers will let you record enable multiple midi tracks. Try clicking the record enable buttons while holding the alt or cmd or ctrl key.

john1192
05-28-2017, 06:23 AM
Hi!

I am using a Roland digital drum set to trigger Superior Drummer, and I am using a Roland midi keyboard to trigger Xpand2 in Pro Tools 12.4. Both are connected to my pc via USB cables. Ive tried being really thorough when setting up each tracks channels etc.

When I hit recordenable on the drum track, the xpand track no longer recieves any signal input from the midikeyboard and vice versa.

In short - I cannot recordenable both tracks and have 2 midi inputs at the same time, the first track will loose its input signal when I recordenable the other.

Is there any way around this? When I jam with my friends in my studio I really want to have output from drums AND synth at the same time.

Thank you kindly for any and all input! -Cris

not in front of PT at the moment but i think it is the Shift KEy

Marsdy
05-28-2017, 07:39 AM
not in front of PT at the moment but i think it is the Shift KEy

It's shift for contiguous tracks and command for non-contiguous tracks.

albee1952
05-29-2017, 07:49 AM
My setup is on Windows so Mac may be slightly different, but here is the trick. Under the Midi Studio setup, once bothe controllers are listed, on the TD kit, deselect all midi channels EXCEPT for 10. On the keyboard, deselect 10. Now on your 2 instrument tracks(mix window shows "instrument "), go to the top box(this only shows on the Mix window), and set the Hybrid track to the keyboard, and the drum track to the TD unit. alt-click on either track's record button to enable both.

By default, all instrument tracks will receive any midi, so doing the above allows for separate instruments at the same time. I tracked drums with a Roland kit, piano with a Motif es8 and DB-33 from a 3rd keyboard, all at the same time:(:D

reflexson
05-29-2017, 01:47 PM
It's shift for contiguous tracks and command for non-contiguous tracks.

It's just shift clicking additional record enable buttons. Command will disable the ability to record on that track(bypassing the record enable function)