PDA

View Full Version : Protools "Slow mo" and video engine errors

YumYumAudio
05-26-2017, 08:46 PM
Hi Everyone,
I've been getting odd errors that pop up now and then since I've upgraded to PT HD 12.6.1

The first issue is sometimes when I open up PT at the start of the day, the session will go into this "slow mo" mode, where the vision (most times) will play fine at normal speed (Sometimes it jumps) and the audio will be pitched down and play slower. When I record in this mode, and final recording (while sounding fine when recording) will actually be Sped and pitched up.
If I restarted my computer, it seems to go back to normal.

The next issue is that I keep getting "The video engine reported an error" messages. But I haven't noticed anything odd happening.
When I look at the log, it says :
"Synchronization error. Aborting play. If synchronization fails repeatedly at the same location, try rendering effects or reducing Video Quality for Playback. If unsuccessful, consult documentation on increasing start delays."
"Cannot start playback. The network clock is not locked. Please try again."

I'm thinking there might be something wrong with my world clock for both of these. My clock source is currently set to Internal.

Any suggestions on what this might be? :confused:

My Specs:
Pro Tools 12.6.1 HD
HD Omni (firmware 2.9) + PCI Card
Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K (Software 10.5)

Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2010
2x 2.93 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon Processor
24GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 Ram
OSX Sierra 10.12.2

smurfyou
05-31-2017, 07:50 PM
Several thoughts.

12.6 is widely regarded as buggy, I suggest updating to 12.7 if you can or 12.4 if you need to go down.

Blackmagic Desktop 10.5 likewise is very buggy with Pro Tools. I'd suggest downgrading it to 10.4.3. You can try the newest but 10.4.3 should work much better.

Do you have a dedicated video drive and is it an SSD or RAID? If it is a regular spinner hard drive I'd get an SSD. The video engine is very picky about access times and disk speed.

Lastly make sure on your video track it is set to "Full Quality". And try disabling "Use GPU" under the Preferences. Some systems work better without that.