PDA

View Full Version : Track List Column

GTBannah
05-20-2017, 07:26 PM
Hello!

I always thought, that the track list column on the Edit page was independent of the one on the mix page! :eek:

Lets say, I have instrument, MIDI and audio tracks on the edit page, but, I haven't converted anything to audio as yet, I'm just seeing the outputs from the instrument tracks on the audio tracks, can't I hide the instrument and MIDI tracks on the mix page, leaving only the audio tracks visible? :confused:

Thanx!

albee1952
05-20-2017, 07:52 PM
Couple of things to consider:
#1-why do you have instrument tracks going to audio tracks?
#2-you can choose to show or hide on either MIX or EDIT windows
#3-hidden tracks will still play(but while hidden, you have no access to any controls for volume, pan or plugins)
#4-instrument tracks routed to audio tracks; if you put the audio track into INPUT monitoring, it will act like an AUX track(handy until you are ready to record as audio)
#5-assuming you have PT12.4 or later, why bother routing Instruments thru audio tracks? When you are ready to convert to audio, use Track Commit:o

GTBannah
05-20-2017, 08:04 PM
Couple of things to consider:
#1-why do you have instrument tracks going to audio tracks?
#2-you can choose to show or hide on either MIX or EDIT windows
#3-hidden tracks will still play(but while hidden, you have no access to any controls for volume, pan or plugins)
#4-instrument tracks routed to audio tracks; if you put the audio track into INPUT monitoring, it will act like an AUX track(handy until you are ready to record as audio)
#5-assuming you have PT12.4 or later, why bother routing Instruments thru audio tracks? When you are ready to convert to audio, use Track Commit:o

Thanx for the response!

**#1-why do you have instrument tracks going to audio tracks?**
I'm using multiple outputs from Battery.

**#2-you can choose to show or hide on either MIX or EDIT windows**
.... except, that when I hide on the Edit window, it's hidden on the Mix window as well, and vice versa; which is the real issue.

**#3-hidden tracks will still play(but while hidden, you have no access to any controls for volume, pan or plugins)**
I want to keep Battery visible in the Edit window, so I can fine tune the MIDI. I don't need to see the audio tracks there. I don't need to see Battery on the mix window.

I want to hide Battery on the mix window, so, that's fine.

**#4-instrument tracks routed to audio tracks; if you put the audio track into INPUT monitoring, it will act like an AUX track(handy until you are ready to record as audio)**
Yes; that's what I'm doing.

**#5-assuming you have PT12.4 or later, why bother routing Instruments thru audio tracks? When you are ready to convert to audio, use Track Commit**
Multi outs from Battery.

lesbrunn
05-20-2017, 09:45 PM
**#4-instrument tracks routed to audio tracks; if you put the audio track into INPUT monitoring, it will act like an AUX track(handy until you are ready to record as audio)**
Yes; that's what I'm doing.

**#5-assuming you have PT12.4 or later, why bother routing Instruments thru audio tracks? When you are ready to convert to audio, use Track Commit**
Multi outs from Battery.

#4. You can use instrument tracks, which don't need to be routed into audio tracks, because they output audio and are actually both midi and audio tracks, routed internally. Just set your IO and it's done.

#5. Multi outs are exactly like main outs, and should go into instrument tracks (no need for audio tracks) which can be committed. You only need to choose which VI multi out should feed any given instrument track.

Long ago, when PT didn't have instrument tracks, one needed to have both a midi track and an aux track to hear an output from a VI. Instrument tracks made things way quicker, and now commit eliminates the need to route to a separate audio track for recording. No longer any need to print in real time. These features are huge time savers.

GTBannah
05-21-2017, 04:14 AM
#4. You can use instrument tracks, which don't need to be routed into audio tracks, because they output audio and are actually both midi and audio tracks, routed internally. Just set your IO and it's done.

#5. Multi outs are exactly like main outs, and should go into instrument tracks (no need for audio tracks) which can be committed. You only need to choose which VI multi out should feed any given instrument track.

Long ago, when PT didn't have instrument tracks, one needed to have both a midi track and an aux track to hear an output from a VI. Instrument tracks made things way quicker, and now commit eliminates the need to route to a separate audio track for recording. No longer any need to print in real time. These features are huge time savers.

Thanx for your response!

#5. Multi outs are exactly like main outs, and should go into instrument tracks (no need for audio tracks) which can be committed.
If I assign a pad in Battery to anything other than the main out, I won't hear it.

Back to the real issue, though; are the two track lists independent, or, are they mirrors of each other?