PDA

View Full Version : Post processing wave form

UMT
05-20-2017, 05:13 PM
Does anyone know of a plugin or some other way to see how an effect such as a compressor changes the wave form. I'd particularly like to see how the amplitude and length of a transient changes with different compressor settings. And by the way, I'm new to this, so I hope my question makes sense.

zerodistraction
05-20-2017, 06:32 PM
This is a feature that Adobe Audition does really well within its waveform editor view. You can preview how a processing change will affect the audio. Unfortunately, there’s no such option in Pro Tools. You can use an Audiosuite plugin to apply processing directly to a clip, but you can only preview the wet signal within the plugin, you can’t visually see the change in the waveform.

UMT
05-20-2017, 08:56 PM
Thanks very much. And thanks also for not just saying use your ears! I figured I would need to use my ears when mixing, but in my case, they do need a bit of training, and a visual representation of the effect of plugin settings would help a lot while I am learning.

zerodistraction
05-20-2017, 10:36 PM
Thanks very much. And thanks also for not just saying use your ears! I figured I would need to use my ears when mixing, but in my case, they do need a bit of training, and a visual representation of the effect of plugin settings would help a lot while I am learning.

I'd recommend a loudness metering plugin of some sort. You can add them to the in visual track or the mastering bus. There are plenty out there from third parties. Also, monitor the output meter when applying gain reduction. Even the stock compression plugins show input and output. Usually it's pretty to apply the appropriate makeup gain. If you can see it's reducing by 6dB, then you can try and apply 6dB of makeup gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DDDaniel
05-21-2017, 01:02 AM
Try DMG compassion, it has a built in graphic display of the compression happening. I think fabfilter comp also does this...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

UMT
05-21-2017, 02:02 AM
Thanks guys. Just been checking out YouTube clips about Compassion and FabFilter Pro C. Pretty amazing!

midnightrambler
05-21-2017, 02:28 AM
You could also try "freezing" the track with the plugin(s) on, and then undo/redo to compare waveforms before and after processing.

zerodistraction
05-21-2017, 02:48 AM
Thanks guys. Just been checking out YouTube clips about Compassion and FabFilter Pro C. Pretty amazing!

FabFilter makes awesome plugins. Pro C 2 is great. Their EQ is wonderful too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk