PDA

View Full Version : Does PT have a spectral view for special cleanup?

GeneRoberts
05-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Before switching to Pro Tools, I used to use Adobe Audition and Samplitude. In both programs, I could go into spectral view and see the frequencies in colors and was able to do precision clean up, removed any random clicks and pops, etc. It worked so admirably well (especially in Samplitude) and I was amazed at the powers that single feature offered me.

Is there a similar thing in Pro Tools 12?

climber
05-16-2017, 11:40 AM
in a word, no

GeneRoberts
05-16-2017, 12:10 PM
in a word, no

That's just so weird... No noise removal, no spectral view, no opening multiple sessions... I love the Pro Tools interface but I feel like I downgraded from the previously used cheaper software I had.

grayter1
05-16-2017, 06:46 PM
Before switching to Pro Tools, I used to use Adobe Audition and Samplitude. In both programs, I could go into spectral view and see the frequencies in colors and was able to do precision clean up, removed any random clicks and pops, etc. It worked so admirably well (especially in Samplitude) and I was amazed at the powers that single feature offered me.

Is there a similar thing in Pro Tools 12?

Reaper just added it...

tg

jchan
05-16-2017, 09:33 PM
I used samplitude pro X before switching too. Still miss the comparisonics waveform view. I suggested spectral view as an option in Pro Tools a long time ago, back when I was naive enough to think the idea scale would make any difference :)
Funnily the Idea was voted down by some conservative PT users thinking waveform colors would look ugly...
Imagine to enable spectral view per track, or all tracks. What a relief and time saver to see the frequencies.

Any way, If you cant wait for AVID, get Izotope RX 6 standard, it's worth every penny.

GeneRoberts
05-17-2017, 05:28 AM
I used samplitude pro X before switching too. Still miss the comparisonics waveform view. I suggested spectral view as an option in Pro Tools a long time ago, back when I was naive enough to think the idea scale would make any difference :)
Funnily the Idea was voted down by some conservative PT users thinking waveform colors would look ugly...
Imagine to enable spectral view per track, or all tracks. What a relief and time saver to see the frequencies.

Any way, If you cant wait for AVID, get Izotope RX 6 standard, it's worth every penny.

Strange that people have opposed something like this. It's clearly a defect for a industry standard software to be lacking such an important feature.

Why the hell did we move away from Samplitude!

jchan
05-17-2017, 05:50 AM
Strange that people have opposed something like this. It's clearly a defect for a industry standard software to be lacking such an important feature.

Unfortunately I moved because I had too much trouble with external audio interfaces on a PC, so I moved to Mac and it was much better. Then my employers required me to work in Pro Tools so I had no choice. I was devastated when the Mac version of Samplitude was cancelled. But I find my workarounds, nothing will ever be perfect, something we should be happy for :)

Drew Mazurek
05-17-2017, 06:32 AM

Pro Tools has had a vibrant 3rd party plugin ecosystem for decades. It's part of what made it an industry standard. And as such, Avid doesn't need to add features already covered by their partners. In fact, such things are frowned upon.

Other DAWs on the other hand, will pack whatever they can into their apps to attract customers.

Users simple need to do their research, demo software, and choose what's best for them. Easy.

GeneRoberts
05-17-2017, 06:49 AM
Pro Tools has had a vibrant 3rd party plugin ecosystem for decades. It's part of what made it an industry standard. And as such, Avid doesn't need to add features already covered by their partners. In fact, such things are frowned upon.

Other DAWs on the other hand, will pack whatever they can into their apps to attract customers.

Users simple need to do their research, demo software, and choose what's best for them. Easy.

Interesting justification. In other words... "We're popular. Other companies are making paid products to extend the functionality of our software. We don't have to do anything. We don't need to bother to provide an essential features which exist in software costing the fraction of the price we're charging."

Unpleasant to hear, but certainly understandable.

Drew Mazurek
05-17-2017, 06:52 AM
Interesting justification. In other words... "We're popular. Other companies are making paid products to extend the functionality of our software. We don't have to do anything. We don't need to bother to provide an essential features which exist in software costing the fraction of the price we're charging."

Unpleasant to hear, but certainly understandable.

Not justifying, just explaining reality and trying to give context.

jchan
05-17-2017, 07:04 AM

True. Still no third party app can do spectral view in a workable way for pro tools. It has to be native.

Rich Breen
05-17-2017, 07:22 AM
To the OP: buy Izotope RX and move on.

Teolin
05-17-2017, 07:47 AM
Yep, spend more money to stay with the already unjustifiably overpriced PTHD. Solutions to PT shortcomings (but sadly, not bugs) can be found in audio editing applications internet-wide. Multi-stop shopping is the only solution.

RX Elements
$99 USD
$129 reg.
BUY NOW
Learn More

rx-6-std-padding
RX 6 Standard
$299 USD
$399 reg.
BUY NOW
Learn More

rx-6-adv-padding
RX 6 Advanced
$799 USD
$1199 reg.
BUY NOW
Learn More

rx-pps2-padding
RX Post Production Suite 2 (Best Value!)
$999 USD
$1499 reg.
BUY NOW

noiseboyuk
05-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Yep, spend more money to stay with the already unjustifiably overpriced PTHD. Solutions to PT shortcomings (but sadly, not bugs) can be found in audio editing applications internet-wide.

Well, I'm no wild and crazy PT defender, but two important points here. 1 - my other main DAW is Cubase, and that has bugs aplenty and no spectral repair. 2 - iZotope, I'm virtually certain will be better and more comprehensive than any bundled DAW solution, so not exactly like-for-like.

jchan
05-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Well, I'm no wild and crazy PT defender, but two important points here. 1 - my other main DAW is Cubase, and that has bugs aplenty and no spectral repair. 2 - iZotope, I'm virtually certain will be better and more comprehensive than any bundled DAW solution, so not exactly like-for-like.

The thing with native spectral view is simply much better overview of what audio you got in front of you, easier faster navigation, it's simply like comparing black / white photos to color ones.

GeneRoberts
05-17-2017, 10:16 AM
iZotope, I'm virtually certain will be better and more comprehensive than any bundled DAW solution, so not exactly like-for-like.

Oh, you should see how Samplitude handles that... The control is gives you is incredible! One of the top reasons Samplitude users love their software.

I came to PT, just to be able to collaborate with other professionals more efficiently. It's been a constant "you also have to buy this and that..." for me ever since.

Even the cheap, low-key Adobe Audition has a very serviceable spectral view. They should make the damn thing.

K Roche
05-17-2017, 11:05 AM
True. Still no third party app can do spectral view in a workable way for pro tools. It has to be native.

I have not used Samp. seems like a great DAW but I use Mac.
And no doubt it all depends on one's usage for Spectal View .
However if it is actually for audio clean up
It appears Izotope RX actually gives you more like what you get with Samps add on Spectral correction application (arguable for less money) and more.

I use RX 4 and it is pretty full featured

Here is an excerpt from SOS

The Spectral Cleaning Editor

Although it's very convenient to have spectral editing available within the VIP, the degree of editing available is fairly basic. However, if you have the Magix Cleaning & Restoration Suite add-on, you will then have access to the Spectral Cleaning Offline Editor, which is much more fully featured.

Philthy
09-29-2017, 07:07 AM

So Drew, what 3rd party plugin allows spectral editing within ProTools? I was cleaning pops out of a poorly recorded track recently and the client showed me how easy it was with spectral editing in his Adobe product. It was humiliating, frankly. ProTools looked positively obsolete at that point.

Drew Mazurek
09-29-2017, 07:33 AM
So Drew, what 3rd party plugin allows spectral editing within ProTools? I was cleaning pops out of a poorly recorded track recently and the client showed me how easy it was with spectral editing in his Adobe product. It was humiliating, frankly. ProTools looked positively obsolete at that point.

Using RX with Pro Tools (https://www.izotope.com/en/support/knowledge-base/how-to-use-rx-connect-with-avid-pro-tools-10-11-12.html)

Pros using RX and PT (https://www.izotope.com/en/community/blog/artist-stories/2017/07/a-game-of-post-engineers-talk-audio-challenges-on-game-of-thrones.html)

It's entirely possible that PT isn't for you. But as you can see above, it works perfectly for many.

panamajack
09-29-2017, 08:17 AM
. . . what 3rd party plugin allows spectral editing within ProTools? . . .

What about Spectra Layers Pro 4?

I have an offer in "My Special Offers" from Avid to pick it up for 50% discount. The demo is convincing for removing unwanted background noise or isolating vocal tracks against a dense background.

I am considering popping for it. What say ye?

Courtlaw
09-29-2017, 08:30 AM

Bloatware

deanrichard
09-29-2017, 09:20 AM
Reaper has had a spectral view for a few months. The most recent release added non-destructive spectral editing, such that you can edit one or more frequency bands individually. While the Izotope product is said to be more complete, those people say the Reaper implementation does compete with it, and is integrated and non-destructive. I haven't used Izotope so I have no comparison.

Reaper just added it...

tg

deanrichard
09-29-2017, 09:28 AM
It's hard to imagine calling a feature like Spectral Editing bloatware. Even if you don't use it much, lots of people find it incredibly useful.

Bloatware

musicman691
09-29-2017, 10:47 AM
It's hard to imagine calling a feature like Spectral Editing bloatware. Even if you don't use it much, lots of people find it incredibly useful.
Would not mind spectral editing in PT IF done right (maybe they could license it from iZotope?) :cool:

allstaar
09-29-2017, 03:30 PM
Bloatware

Protools installer - 15000mb

Reaper installer (with spectral editing) - 16mb

Just sayin !

deanrichard
09-29-2017, 10:29 PM
The Mac version is 16 mb. The PC installer is 11 mb.

Protools installer - 15000mb

Reaper installer (with spectral editing) - 16mb

Just sayin !

Philthy
10-02-2017, 06:33 AM
Well I admit that there are two kludgy workarounds available to us at more cost. That's something in Avid land I guess.

panamajack
10-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Well I admit that there are two kludgy workarounds available to us at more cost. That's something in Avid land I guess.

I bought the "Spectral Layers Pro 4" while on sale for 50% discount. It is a "Magix" product. Magix bought the Sony Vegas software rights in 2016. I am about to upgrade to Vegas Pro 15, which I have been using for several versions, and hope Magix has improved the Vegas product. And because I thought the online demos for Spectral Layers Pro 4 looked good, I figured I would give it a try. The discounted price was similar to an upgrade price.

I have previously used the Avid Pro Expander for isolating background noise, and look forward to comparing it to Spectral Layers Pro's graphic environment.

Spectral Layers Pro has a 30 day free trial.