PDA

View Full Version : Pre-upgrade question

mark_4
05-15-2017, 06:29 AM
I need to upgrade a ProTools HDX system from V11 to 12.7.x due to shared storage support (NEXIS)

It's been a while since I updated - last one was PT9 to 11. I seem to remember it being a pain-in-the-ass due to OS and older versions of plugin's not being supported.

I've got two systems to update - one is on PT 12 already, the other is on 11, but still on OS 10.9.5. Again, due to shared storage this system will need to roll up to (at least) OS 10.10.

I generally do clean OS installs, just wanted to know if there any gotcha's I need to be aware of?

Many thanks

Mark

JFreak
05-15-2017, 06:46 AM
Hi, welcome to the community.

I'm sure you are well aware of the compatibility chart (http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/Pro-Tools-Operating-System-Compatibility-Chart) and I strongly suggest you follow the Avid compatibility documents to the fullest. Much better experience that way ;)

Biggest gotcha I know is avoid ElCrap at all cost, upgrade to Sierra and if you can wait for the 12.8 that should be right around the corner

Southsidemusic
05-15-2017, 06:51 AM
Hi, welcome to the community.

... wait for the 12.8 that should be right around the corner

Which corner :D How many blocks until that corner and is this make believe corner in europe or the US :p

Kidding aside agree with Jannes thoughts. El Cap was a trainwreck and 12.7 was buggy as a buggy ... really not great.

We run 12.4 HD mostly here along with Live9 Suite and PT12.4 HD is the most stable for us atleast. 12.7.1 is OK but many users have lots of problems with it.

mark_4
05-15-2017, 06:59 AM
Thanks Janne + Chris,

I was going to try and stick with Yosemite 10.10 TBH as it's been pretty good for Pro apps in my experience (unlike 10.11+12).

I'd love to wait for 12.8 - but not sure I have that long!

We have a bit of downtime, and I wanted to get both systems connected to our NEXIS, which unfortunately now requires PT12.7 minimum.

Thanks

Carl Lie
05-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Thanks Janne + Chris,

I was going to try and stick with Yosemite 10.10 TBH as it's been pretty good for Pro apps in my experience (unlike 10.11+12).

I'd love to wait for 12.8 - but not sure I have that long!

We have a bit of downtime, and I wanted to get both systems connected to our NEXIS, which unfortunately now requires PT12.7 minimum.

Thanks

10.10.4 working well with HDx and 12.7.1 here.

C