PDA

View Full Version : Using AudioSuite on a small clip issue

Captngeetch
05-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Wondering if it's just me doing something wrong...or perhaps there is a better/easier way to accomplish what I want to do. On a vocal track I am trying to apply a delay to certain sections of a track. I split the section I want to apply it to, highlight it and select the AudioSuite effect I want to apply..I make all the adjustments needed and click render and the result is not even close to the original audition..it also changes the clip and I have to slide to actually find the section I applied the effect to..and then I have to spend 20 minutes altering the rest of the track to get it to fit in time etc. Even if I drag the section to a new track and go through the process, I still have to slide to find the section I applied the effect to...and in both instances, the effect is a lot more subtle then how it sounded in the auditions. ??

It's gotta be me, am I missing something ? Is there a simpler way to apply an effect to just a section of a track ? I'm talking a 4 beat section.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Running 12.7.1

Sparky1
05-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Would duplicating the track -> deleting the stuff you don't want processed on the duplicated track -> apply your effects (either with Audiosuite or inserted plug in) to the duplicated track remaining audio work?

Sparky

K Roche
05-14-2017, 05:40 PM
I don't use AudioSuite I just automate the Master Bypass on the Delay on the real time plugin. Have it bypassed then on for the section I want FX on then off again.

If I want something like ping pong and I want it continue into the unprocessed
Then somewhat like Sparky suggested except, I just create another blank audio track right below the one Iam working on, and then just highlight to select what I want to delay right click and copy (note the number in the main counter) then slide the cursor down to the blank track click, then just make any number correction in the main counter (for exact position ) then paste

albee1952
05-14-2017, 08:41 PM
The best way to do this is to add a send, feed it to an AUX track, insert delay plugin and adjust, automate the send to feed only the word you want to have echo:o

Southsidemusic
05-15-2017, 02:08 AM
The best way to do this is to add a send, feed it to an AUX track, insert delay plugin and adjust, automate the send to feed only the word you want to have echo:o

Katching :D

midnightrambler
05-15-2017, 02:24 AM
Wondering if it's just me doing something wrong...or perhaps there is a better/easier way to accomplish what I want to do. On a vocal track I am trying to apply a delay to certain sections of a track. I split the section I want to apply it to, highlight it and select the AudioSuite effect I want to apply..I make all the adjustments needed and click render and the result is not even close to the original audition..it also changes the clip and I have to slide to actually find the section I applied the effect to..and then I have to spend 20 minutes altering the rest of the track to get it to fit in time etc. Even if I drag the section to a new track and go through the process, I still have to slide to find the section I applied the effect to...and in both instances, the effect is a lot more subtle then how it sounded in the auditions. ??

It's gotta be me, am I missing something ? Is there a simpler way to apply an effect to just a section of a track ? I'm talking a 4 beat section.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Running 12.7.1

If you want to do it this way (I agree with the others that this would probably be better done in the mix), try setting your "handle length" to 0 seconds - this might be what's throwing out the delay? Bottom right of the audiosuite window :

http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8506&stc=1&d=1494840178

Sometimes I have to set this to 0 for special fx such as the Soundshifter Graphic, otherwise the plugin starts processing the clip before your edit point. If you see what I mean.

albee1952
05-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Audiosuite is great for stuff like EQ(like a momentary "telephone" effect) but is not good for any time-based effects(like delay or reverb).

K Roche
05-15-2017, 11:09 AM

Thats a good option also

Captngeetch
05-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Would duplicating the track -> deleting the stuff you don't want processed on the duplicated track -> apply your effects (either with Audiosuite or inserted plug in) to the duplicated track remaining audio work?

Sparky

This way works, but was more work then I really wanted to do and I try to keep my projects with only as many tracks as needed..thanx for the suggestion tho.

If you want to do it this way (I agree with the others that this would probably be better done in the mix), try setting your "handle length" to 0 seconds - this might be what's throwing out the delay? Bottom right of the audiosuite window :

http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8506&stc=1&d=1494840178

Sometimes I have to set this to 0 for special fx such as the Soundshifter Graphic, otherwise the plugin starts processing the clip before your edit point. If you see what I mean.

Tried this, and the result was the same..out of sync and I had to slide the section to find it, then manually move it back to the right position..and the effect was barely there

This was the way I ended up doing it..Thanx !

Audiosuite is great for stuff like EQ(like a momentary "telephone" effect) but is not good for any time-based effects(like delay or reverb).

I came to this conclusion..never had an issue applying a bit of eq via AudioSuite. Guess the time based delay was the reason it slide the track..not going to dwell on it, the aux send worked. I have a tendency to obsess on little things, so it's best I just walk away from trying to figure out why it was doing the slide/sync thing lol. Thanx for your input !