PDA

View Full Version : pt12 unstable and

wouters
05-04-2017, 03:28 PM
He Guys,

I recently updated to PT12 and I have some strange performance problems. It feels quite unpredictable. For example when I trim the end of a clip by dragging it with the mouse, when i release the mouse too soon it will just jump back to where it was. when i hold the mouse for a second and then release it, it will indeed trim the clip.

I know i don’t have have a very new machine and i can image it will not be super fast, but i don’t get the unpredictable part.

I’ve tried everything i can think of to solve it (install clean os, different os versions). Upgraded the ram. disabled the video engine etc. etc.

Anyone else had this problem before, any tips?

Thanks!!!

____
machine: Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
osx: macOS 10.12.4 (also tried clean installs of 10.10 and 10,11)
mem: 32gb
processor: Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.40 GHz (2 processors, 8 cores, 16 threads)
video: ATI Radeon HD 5770 & decklink
interface: hd omni

Carl Lie
05-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Its likely you are in grid mode which will move the clip trim to the nearest grd selection. Try a smaller grid quantize value.

C

wouters
05-05-2017, 12:10 AM
Thanks! No i wish that was true.

It's just an example but there are many strange things going on. Another example; when i put a fade on a clip it sometimes takes about two seconds to calculate the fade. but the computer still responds in the mean time so if i select another clip, then the fade will go to that clip.

This happens with everything, if i make a selection and then press play straight aways it won't play the selection but the cursor locater before i made the selection. so i have to make the selection, wait a second, and press play.

Since i reinstalled it and tried multiple clean installs my guess is that it's hardware related. I just have no clue, could this be videocard related? no one else noticed behaviour like this?

thanks!
wouter

lesbrunn
05-05-2017, 03:19 AM
Thanks! No i wish that was true.

It's just an example but there are many strange things going on. Another example; when i put a fade on a clip it sometimes takes about two seconds to calculate the fade. but the computer still responds in the mean time so if i select another clip, then the fade will go to that clip.

This happens with everything, if i make a selection and then press play straight aways it won't play the selection but the cursor locater before i made the selection. so i have to make the selection, wait a second, and press play.

Since i reinstalled it and tried multiple clean installs my guess is that it's hardware related. I just have no clue, could this be videocard related? no one else noticed behaviour like this?

thanks!
wouter

It could be hardware related, but you've said nothing about your hardware except that it's possibly slow. That in itself could be an issue depending on various things such as RAM, component compatibility, track count, plugin usage, hard drive configuration etc. Including a Sandra report would be helpful in diagnosing the problem, and there are lots of guys here who would offer useful advice.

musicman691
05-05-2017, 04:30 AM
It could be hardware related, but you've said nothing about your hardware except that it's possibly slow. That in itself could be an issue depending on various things such as RAM, component compatibility, track count, plugin usage, hard drive configuration etc. Including a Sandra report would be helpful in diagnosing the problem, and there are lots of guys here who would offer useful advice.
System info is in the op's sig file.

That being said I would not discount the mouse as being at fault. I've had them such that the left & right click buttons either stick or don't click reliably and strange things like what the op describes happen.

lesbrunn
05-05-2017, 04:32 AM
System info is in the op's sig file.

Sorry bro, I missed that.

wouters
05-08-2017, 12:31 AM
He guys!

Did some more testing with the system. Unfortunatly it’s not the mouse like musicman691 is suggesting. I have it too with the keyboard. For example if press tab (to jump to the first clip) and then press spacebar (to play) too fast, it somethimes does those thing in reversed order. So first starts playing and then jumps to the first clip.

any other ideas it could try?

musicman691
05-08-2017, 03:41 AM
He guys!

Did some more testing with the system. Unfortunatly it’s not the mouse like musicman691 is suggesting. I have it too with the keyboard. For example if press tab (to jump to the first clip) and then press spacebar (to play) too fast, it somethimes does those thing in reversed order. So first starts playing and then jumps to the first clip.

any other ideas it could try?
I know I'm grasping at straws here but are your keyboard &/or mouse wired or wireless? Just trying to think through possibilities before suggesting doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of PT.

JFreak
05-08-2017, 03:46 AM
My friend reported strange mouse issues with Sibelius after updating to 10.12.4 and Avid has confirmed that they need to release a fix for it. I'm pretty sure it's the same with PT as well