PDA

View Full Version : SSL Duende Channelstrip and Pro Tools 12.7.1

thebeatinventor
05-03-2017, 09:17 PM
Anyone using the SSL Duende Channelstrip native plugin in Pro Tool 12.7.1 without it causing PT to suddenly quit? I installed the latest version of the Channelstrip 5.1.3 which is supposed to help with compatibility issues with OSX Sierra. I really prefer the function and overall sound of the SSL version over the Waves SSL plugin, but for now I'm forced to use the Waves because of the constant issue of the SSL Duende freezing/quiting my session.

Any work around? I contacted SSL and they said they are looking into the problem. From PT 12.6 on it has been an issue but they said there are reports of some users who have no issues in 12.7.

Thoughts?

simonjewel
05-04-2017, 05:39 AM
No issues here Duende is running absolutely fine .... 12.7.1 Mac Pro Yosemite

john1192
05-04-2017, 08:25 AM
Anyone using the SSL Duende Channelstrip native plugin in Pro Tool 12.7.1 without it causing PT to suddenly quit? I installed the latest version of the Channelstrip 5.1.3 which is supposed to help with compatibility issues with OSX Sierra. I really prefer the function and overall sound of the SSL version over the Waves SSL plugin, but for now I'm forced to use the Waves because of the constant issue of the SSL Duende freezing/quiting my session.

Any work around? I contacted SSL and they said they are looking into the problem. From PT 12.6 on it has been an issue but they said there are reports of some users who have no issues in 12.7.

Thoughts?

do you still have the installer for 5.1.1 ?? were you having same issue(s) with 5.1.1 ?? are you experiencing this: you go to mouse a knob (make an adjustment) and it seems to do nothing at first and then things moves .. shortly followed by a Crash ???

cheers john

also: i just sent this over to Lee at SSL ...

Hi Lee, off topic - Duende Plugins Only Show Version 1 - whether they are v5.1.1 or v5.1.3 ..

Q: can you pass along a suggestion to show the” Version" of a Duende Plugin in the Apple-I info window - and in Column View when you highlight a plugin .. see included pics please ..

this would give us a quick idea of version a studio is running when we go to troubleshoot .. especially if Pro Tools or other DAW will not Open - the reason we are there .. haha

thank you so much ..

john

thebeatinventor
05-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Yes, I had the same issue with 5.1.1 and 5.1.3, when adjusting a knob parameter and "shift" seemed to crash PT more often than just adjusting value, but still both ways crashed PT. I have never crashed a session using the "Bus Compressor" from SSL, it seems to only be an issue with the Channelstrip.

Partially my fault when I bought the plugin bundle fro SSL online, I saw it was compatible with OSX Sierra but I missed the small disclaimer "not compatible with PT 12.6" AND when I demoed the Channelstrip last year, it was in 12.5.2 which was working with no issues.

I guess we just have to wait for SSL to figure this issue out and go from there, a new version soon hopefully.

john1192
05-04-2017, 08:45 AM
Yes, I had the same issue with 5.1.1 and 5.1.3, when adjusting a knob parameter and "shift" seemed to crash PT more often than just adjusting value, but still both ways crashed PT. I have never crashed a session using the "Bus Compressor" from SSL, it seems to only be an issue with the Channelstrip.

Partially my fault when I bought the plugin bundle fro SSL online, I saw it was compatible with OSX Sierra but I missed the small disclaimer "not compatible with PT 12.6" AND when I demoed the Channelstrip last year, it was in 12.5.2 which was working with no issues.

I guess we just have to wait for SSL to figure this issue out and go from there, a new version soon hopefully.

i hope so, this last update was a long time coming ..

as i am about to update my Mavericks 10.9.5 to Sierra 10.12.4 on Main System - 6-core 3.33ghz Cheesegrater MacPro (yes, i am fully backed up and easy to restore - toss in the old drive and back up and running) .. i am very curious about all this ..

cheers john

thebeatinventor
05-06-2017, 08:29 PM
Ok no problems in OSX Yosemite......PT 12.7.1, must be a OSX SIERRA issue.

john1192
05-07-2017, 07:02 AM
Ok no problems in OSX Yosemite......PT 12.7.1, must be a OSX SIERRA issue.

thats good i guess .. except for the fact that i am just about to upgrade my main computer to Sierra .. (yes, i have a full back drive i can just slap into my macpro and be back to mavericks instantly) ..

BUT i did upgrade my macbook pro .. so i will do a couple tests with Duende 5.1.3 on that beast and see what happens ..

lets keep this dialog with SSL open - i am happy to test anything they need that pertains to My Type Mac System ..

cheers john

john1192
05-07-2017, 07:18 AM
ok, i gave 5.1.1 a good beating up in PT / sierra .. well, running fine for now .. but i will watch it .. and i will get 5.1.3 loaded up here as well ..

thebeatinventor
05-07-2017, 10:25 PM
ok, i gave 5.1.1 a good beating up in PT / sierra .. well, running fine for now .. but i will watch it .. and i will get 5.1.3 loaded up here as well ..

I did a session on a friend's computer OSX SIERRA/protools 12.5/SSL 5.1.3 (48) tracks with the SSL Channelstrip on every track, did the usual adjusting of all the parameters and even wrote in automation in the plugin, worked perfect with no errors or quiting the session. Took that same session and loaded it in my computer OSX SIERRA/protools 12.7.1/SSL 5.1.3 as soon as I pressed play, I got a buffer error warning. Eventually after 15 seconds or so of playback, it did that stutter sound and quit, I opened up the session again and same issue after 30 seconds.

What I take from this is it is a major issue SSL needs to work on, what I did was copy the log and emailed to SSL, they should be reviewing it soon.

thebeatinventor
05-07-2017, 10:27 PM

What version of pro tools did you test the ssl Channelstrip in? 12.5?

john1192
05-08-2017, 09:24 AM
What version of pro tools did you test the ssl Channelstrip in? 12.5?

PT12.7.0.676 ... SSL 5.1.1 ... mac OS10.12.4 ...

i am loading in 12.7.1.733 / and SSL 5.1.3 and will see what happens ..

john1192
05-08-2017, 10:02 AM
UPDATE: so, MacOS- 10.12.4 - PT12.7.1.733 and SSL 5.1.3 - Crash 1 st time i used Shift KEy !!!

BUT BUT BUT - after a restart - i could NOT make it crash with the Shift Key after turning knobs like crazy for 10 solid minutes . ..

YYR123
05-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Are windows people seeing issues?

thebeatinventor
05-10-2017, 10:43 PM
UPDATE: so, MacOS- 10.12.4 - PT12.7.1.733 and SSL 5.1.3 - Crash 1 st time i used Shift KEy !!!

BUT BUT BUT - after a restart - i could NOT make it crash with the Shift Key after turning knobs like crazy for 10 solid minutes . ..

Seems like SSL brand plugins are as real as the console!! Haha like a real knob with static, you turn the knob back and forth until the noise goes away! That issue you described is exactly what happens to me, the shift key for exact numeric values crashes protools:( I have never tried to turn the knobs but obviously we shouldn't have to do that, it's a serious bug that needs to be fixed soon. I am curious to know if any windows users are having the same issues. On the user side, I have compared a mix done completely with Waves channel strips and the same mix on a computer with the working SSL channel and the difference in sound is absolutely noticeable to my ears, the SSL won hands down. So I am going to patiently wait for SSL to fix this.

thebeatinventor
05-10-2017, 10:52 PM
Duende Native Plug-ins – COMPATIBLE

The V5.1.1 release of Duende Native Plug-ins are compatible with MacOS Sierra.

ProTools users please note that Duende Native Plug-ins are not compatible with V12.6 ProTools software. We are currently investigating the cause and will update this FAQ when the issue is resolved.

This is from SSL seems like they released the 5.1.3 in Feb 2017 to fix an issue with Sierra and El Capitan but it didn't address issues with Pro Tools 12.6 and above.

john1192
06-02-2017, 02:02 PM
Duende Native Plug-ins – COMPATIBLE

The V5.1.1 release of Duende Native Plug-ins are compatible with MacOS Sierra.

ProTools users please note that Duende Native Plug-ins are not compatible with V12.6 ProTools software. We are currently investigating the cause and will update this FAQ when the issue is resolved.

This is from SSL seems like they released the 5.1.3 in Feb 2017 to fix an issue with Sierra and El Capitan but it didn't address issues with Pro Tools 12.6 and above.

ok, so crash again today with 5.1.3 ... i feel like it is when it is getting pushed hard and fast that it crashes ..

i sent another note directly to SSL .. i want this crap to stop .. i use this plugin all the time .. i do not want to find a substitute

thebeatinventor
06-03-2017, 05:51 PM
ok, so crash again today with 5.1.3 ... i feel like it is when it is getting pushed hard and fast that it crashes ..

i sent another note directly to SSL .. i want this crap to stop .. i use this plugin all the time .. i do not want to find a substitute

I been using the IK Multimedia "Brittish Channel" and have been getting great results with overall stability and sound quality. Until SSL can get this issue resolved, I'm really impressed with IK, I might continue to use it even if SSL comes out with a fix.....

senghor
10-18-2017, 05:15 AM
Yes, the Duende installers 5.1.1 and 5.1.3 don't work in every computer.

I am on Pro Tools 12.8.1 and the Duende X-Verb doesn't work. I have tried everything, but nothing. My Duende Saturation and Drum plugins work great.

SSL said they are working on it (it's been over 6 months). They said too switch back to PT12.4. X-Verb did work on that version of PT.

I am on Windows 10 Home x64.

john1192
10-18-2017, 01:09 PM
Yes, the Duende installers 5.1.1 and 5.1.3 don't work in every computer.

I am on Pro Tools 12.8.1 and the Duende X-Verb doesn't work. I have tried everything, but nothing. My Duende Saturation and Drum plugins work great.

SSL said they are working on it (it's been over 6 months). They said too switch back to PT12.4. X-Verb did work on that version of PT.

I am on Windows 10 Home x64.

there does not seem to be any movement from SSL regarding this .. still hopeful .. taking a long time though

YYR123
10-18-2017, 01:38 PM
Vapor ware I believe is the term.