PDA

View Full Version : "Timeout while trying to connect to the Avid Video Engine"

jsummerskvi
05-02-2017, 01:35 AM
I updated my MBP to Sierra 10.12.4 and PT to 12.7.1.733. Now I cannot get video to play. When a session with video is opening a window "Connecting to Avid Video Engine" appears, with a progress bar that never gets more than 20% done. Then the session opens with a window "Timeout while trying to connect to the Avid Video Engine". There are no thumbnails in the video track, the Resolution/Frame Rate, Quality, and Output buttons are grayed out, and Video is grayed out in the Window menu. I have trashed preferences, reinstalled PT 12.7.1.733, reinstalled Codecs, nothing works. How do I get video playback back?

Analogue
11-23-2017, 09:36 AM
The same thing happened to me today. Yesterday it all worked fine, today the video engine wont launch. Bar fills up but nothing happens. It started with trying to import a new video file into a new project. The file was in.mp4 format. At first I got the "Timeout..." error, then I disconnected the video engine (shouldn't have done that...) and now It wont start at all.

Trashed prefs, went back to PT 12.6 from 12.7, reinstalled codecs, nothing helps. Hope AVID or anybody can chime in here......

john1192
11-23-2017, 09:52 AM
remember on a MAC you can have multiple installs of Pro TOols .. just rename the previous before you install ..

Analogue
11-28-2017, 02:25 AM
Problem solved. It boiled down to an illegal character in the name on one of my discs. A backslash...... Beware!

john1192
11-28-2017, 07:27 AM
Problem solved. It boiled down to an illegal character in the name on one of my discs. A backslash...... Beware!

oh yeah .. nice troubleshooting !!!