PDA

View Full Version : What to connect between D-Box and Patchbay?

BuddhaRecordingStudio
04-29-2017, 01:42 AM
Hi Everybody,

I am about to upgrade my home studio with:

> AVID Pro Tools HD 12.7
> AVID Sync
> AVID 8x8x8
> Lynx Studio Aurora 8
> DANGEROUS MUSIC D-Box
> NEUTRIK NPPA TT SD25 (Patchbay)
> AVALON VT-737 SP
> FOCUSRITE Isa Two
> SSL X Logic Alpha VHD Pre
> FOCAL CMS 65

Beyond this my real concern is what to connect between the «D-Box» and the «Patchbay».
Is it necessary to have between those two units all the «Inputs» and «Outputs» connected on the «Pachtbay»?
And once set up, what I have to pick up «Fully Normalled», «Half Normalled», «Parallell» or «Open»?

If you check out the enclosed picture, you will see a Patchbay (customized by Pro Audio LA), with the «D-Box» «Inputs» and «Outputs».
That’s in orange background color.

Thanks in advance and have a nice week-end.

Cordially

BuddhaRecordingStudio
http://www.proaudiola.com/v/vspfiles...es/package.jpg

albee1952
04-29-2017, 10:35 AM
I don't see any need for the patchbay in this setup. You have 4 channels of preamps, so just connect them to 1 thru 4 into the HD IO(assuming XLR-F fan to DB25 cable). Another DB25 to XLR-M cable will feed outputs 1&2 to the D-Box(for left and right) and outputs 3 thru 8 are available for headphone feeds. Not sure the Avid Sync has any purpose and why bother with 2 interfaces for 4 inputs?

Barry Johns
04-29-2017, 10:40 AM
Hi Everybody,

I am about to upgrade my home studio with:

> AVID Pro Tools HD 12.7
> AVID Sync
> AVID 8x8x8
> Lynx Studio Aurora 8
> DANGEROUS MUSIC D-Box
> NEUTRIK NPPA TT SD25 (Patchbay)
> AVALON VT-737 SP
> FOCUSRITE Isa Two
> SSL X Logic Alpha VHD Pre
> FOCAL CMS 65

Beyond this my real concern is what to connect between the «D-Box» and the «Patchbay».
Is it necessary to have between those two units all the «Inputs» and «Outputs» connected on the «Pachtbay»?
And once set up, what I have to pick up «Fully Normalled», «Half Normalled», «Parallell» or «Open»?

If you check out the enclosed picture, you will see a Patchbay (customized by Pro Audio LA), with the «D-Box» «Inputs» and «Outputs».
That’s in orange background color.

Thanks in advance and have a nice week-end.

Cordially

BuddhaRecordingStudio
http://www.proaudiola.com/v/vspfiles...es/package.jpg

Why do you need an Avid Sync? Are you doing Video work?

BuddhaRecordingStudio
04-29-2017, 01:30 PM
I don't see any need for the patchbay in this setup. You have 4 channels of preamps, so just connect them to 1 thru 4 into the HD IO(assuming XLR-F fan to DB25 cable). Another DB25 to XLR-M cable will feed outputs 1&2 to the D-Box(for left and right) and outputs 3 thru 8 are available for headphone feeds. Not sure the Avid Sync has any purpose and why bother with 2 interfaces for 4 inputs?

Hi albee1952,

First of all, thanks for your quick reply.
I do think you are right with the patchbay not needed.

AVID Sync was for a video project that is no longer there on this setup.

BuddhaRecordingStudio

BuddhaRecordingStudio
04-29-2017, 01:34 PM
Why do you need an Avid Sync? Are you doing Video work?

Hi Barry Johns,

Yes, you are right too regarding the AVID Sync (since no longer sound and picture to be in sync on this MacPro).

BuddhaRecordingStudio