PDA

View Full Version : Terminal App Opening Randomly? Thank Avid's Application Manager

nedorama
04-26-2017, 01:48 PM
https://origin-discussions-us.apple.com/thread/7621308?start=0&tstart=0

If you're noticing that Terminal opens randomly on your Mac for no reason and you've run BitDefender and other virus checkers to no avail, look no further than Avid's Application Manager, which does this.

Really wish the developer team would check their work before submitting out in the wild, but that would take time and resources...

Avid - please fix this or just kill the Application Manager. You only get so many tries to get a simple app right.

john1192
04-26-2017, 02:16 PM

If you're noticing that Terminal opens randomly on your Mac for no reason and you've run BitDefender and other virus checkers to no avail, look no further than Avid's Application Manager, which does this.

Really wish the developer team would check their work before submitting out in the wild, but that would take time and resources...

Avid - please fix this or just kill the Application Manager. You only get so many tries to get a simple app right.

hey Ned, if you are NOT using the App Man .. then just toss this .. Mac/Library/launchagents - toss the App Man file .. !!! now it will not launch ... terminal should not open ..

john

TheNeil
04-26-2017, 03:01 PM
I did wonder what was causing this! Thanks for the info.

Overall, I quite like the app manager, so don't plan on removing it, but that's definitely something that should be fixed.

nedorama
04-26-2017, 10:18 PM
hey Ned, if you are NOT using the App Man .. then just toss this .. Mac/Library/launchagents - toss the App Man file .. !!! now it will not launch ... terminal should not open ..

john

John - thanks and totally aware I could delete the app, but would like Avid to fix the app and test before releasing going forward. Not asking much.

Darryl Ramm
04-26-2017, 10:25 PM
John - thanks and totally aware I could delete the app, but would like Avid to fix the app and test before releasing going forward. Not asking much.

It's been badly designed and broken since release. I am not confident that whoever Avid outsourced this development work to has any clue what they are doing. I don't want anything here. Avid should leave it as is for all I care. As long as users can easily remove it.

clausiii
04-26-2017, 10:51 PM

Yes, this happens here too, randomly.

JFreak
04-26-2017, 10:59 PM
I think it must have something to do with automatic installs, because once I turned that off Terminal stopped poppihg up

john1192
04-27-2017, 08:02 AM

hi Ned, this does not uninstall the App ... just stops it from launching on startup / restart .. this way the terminal should not come up and you can still use the App Mn if you like .. Q; if you toss the Launch agent file does the Terminal still come up when you launch App Man manually ???

cheers john

thanos4
04-27-2017, 08:04 AM
This is also happening to me from time to time
10.12.4 here

midnightrambler
04-27-2017, 08:51 AM
This is also happening to me from time to time
10.12.4 here

Same here also

junkgear
04-27-2017, 09:35 AM
Are you guys all using the latest version of App Manager?

Just want to make sure we are all on the latest before reporting it.

jeffro
04-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Logged a bug and created cases from these posts. You'll likely get an "update to the latest version" response for now. Anyone else experiencing this... please start a support case (http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/How_To/Support-Plan-Case-Creation) that includes your OS and the version of Application Manager. Thanks!

thanos4
04-27-2017, 10:04 AM
Are you guys all using the latest version of App Manager?

Just want to make sure we are all on the latest before reporting it.

17.4.0 here

nedorama
04-27-2017, 01:46 PM

TheNeil
04-27-2017, 01:47 PM
Same: 17.4.0.
Has been happening with the previous version too, if I recall correctly.

JFreak
04-27-2017, 10:32 PM
17.3.0 here, updating now...

clausiii
04-28-2017, 12:20 AM

TheNeil
04-28-2017, 08:52 AM
I think regardless of stances on it, the purpose of this thread is to fix issues with the app manager, which I happen to quite like, give or take some of these odd quirks.

If you don't use the app manager then you need not worry about this thread :)

That said, I would love to see an option to disable auto-start in preferences, so I have a way to control its consumption of resources, rather than manually pulling it from my startup items.

thanos4
05-30-2017, 12:51 AM
This is still happening with 17.5 as well
anyone else?

clausiii
05-30-2017, 01:22 AM

anyone else?

Yes...

JFreak
05-30-2017, 01:25 AM
anyone else?

Nope, not here...

vvline
06-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Running 17.5.0 -- Terminal is still launching randomly on its own for me.

clausiii
06-07-2017, 08:02 AM
Running 17.5.0 -- Terminal is still launching randomly on its own for me.

+1

jchan
06-28-2017, 11:42 PM
Anyone else notice the terminal window on Mac is suddenly opened automatically?

Seem to be a Application manager bug, or poor craftsmanship of the application manager.

JFreak
06-29-2017, 12:10 AM
Yes, it is a known issue

jchan
06-29-2017, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the confirmation.

JFreak
06-29-2017, 01:31 AM
No problem. Updating the Application Manager to a new version might resolve it some day

07-02-2017, 10:16 AM
I seems to have the same also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmu
07-05-2017, 09:06 PM
It's been doing this for a while for me. Just living with it. Kind a weird!

Stephen Bond
07-06-2017, 03:10 AM

Terminal pops up once in a while here too.

Stephen

clausiii
07-06-2017, 03:31 AM
Meanwhile not only once a while here, it opens 8 times of 10...

LesPaul2550
07-10-2017, 06:21 AM
17.5 under Sierra did it to me. Never used to but I always disable it from booting by editing the plist file in launch agents or by simply renaming the app (I add the spaces in between the words in it's title). Yesteday it would crash w/o error dialog box back to the desktop and pop up Terminal when it did. I also keep auto-install/auto-update turned off which is probably why I never saw it before now.

After uninstalling/reinstalling it a couple of times it stopped but only to be replaced with a message across the top banner that says (and I'm reading it right from it because it's doing it now) "Application Manager is unable to connect to Avid Servers". At least after reinstalling multiple times it's something different for me waste my time on instead of making music. BTW, it's working fine on the same mac mini quad core when I boot camp into Win 10 so it's not my Internet connection. Although the Win current version is 17.5.1 whereas OS X is 17.5. Also in OS X Sierra where it isn't working, the firewall and antivirus are turned off but in Windows where it is working, I've got Avast and firewall turned on. Oh Avid, you give me more gray hairs every week!!! At least it's still hair I guess.

LesPaul2550
07-10-2017, 08:17 AM
GOT IT TO WORK with a little help from another boot partition!!!!

With app man working without a crash, no more terminal or "can't connect to avid servers" issues.

Here's what I did. Out of desperation I copied the app manager files from the applications folder of my older Mavericks partition. I think it was running 17.4 with a slightly older version of Pro Tools. Anyway, I had to rename the helper since you can't overwrite a file that's in use. Then I ran this older copy of app manager in Sierra which wouldn't get past the Initializing screen (which I pretty much expected). I was able to click it's pull down menu and chose the Restart App Man Helper command. It showed it was restarting but never got past that. Okay but at least I was able to delete the renamed version (which came out of 17.5) and shut it down from still running. Then I quit or maybe force quit app man (forgot which). I used the uninstall which was still there from 17.5 and it got rid of everything except the main executable package which I deleted manually. Then I reinstalled 17.5 yet again. Low and behold... it ran and connected to Avid and since I had changed my e-mail address in my Avid account yesterday, it even got to the sign in screen. Yay!!!

I just wish my Avid account showed download links for app manager especially older legacy versions like it does with PT itself. I really didn't want to risk screwing up my 12.8 installation by installing an older version just to get app manager to roll back to a version that was working. So far my 12.8 is working fine except for collaboration which is not working in Sierra or Win10 and messed up my cloud account (shows 191 Mb in use after deleting back to 0 projects in the cloud) but that's for another sad soap opera, time wasting story.

For those haters of the Avid Application Manager (I'm one as well), I have to be able to run it because my Avid account on their website only shows a download link to Avid Cloud Client Services 2.0.0 - no sign of anything newer. The app manager lets me download/install 2.2.1 so there's no getting around having to use app man for certain updates. Don't know why their website doesn't show 2.2.1 but it doesn't. I checked both of my PT native licenses and it's the same under both.

Only thing is I'm afraid to shut it down for a reboot or anything for fear it might not work a second time!!!

Norad155
07-11-2017, 05:50 AM
After updating to 12.8 (osx 10.11.6) the terminal randomly launches...? I think it happens when I start PT? or maybe the garbage avid app?...anyone else getting this? happens on 2 identical rigs.

SigFriedChicken
07-11-2017, 06:39 AM
If you type "history" into the terminal, it should give you a list of previously run commands. I wonder what the most recent command was (aside from "history").

Norad155
07-11-2017, 07:02 AM
Yeah it's avid app manager... it crashes... launches the terminal... then locks up everything,,, ... ****** garbage software... can we just stop with that?

panamajack
07-11-2017, 07:24 AM
Exit app manager.

john1192
07-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Yeah it's avid app manager... it crashes... launches the terminal... then locks up everything,,, ... ****** garbage software... can we just stop with that?

if on a MAc - go to MacHD / Library / LaunchAgents / in here you will see and avid app manager file .. move it to your desktop or toss it in the trash (if you toss it in the trash and want it later you will have to re-install)

or go to Home Folder / Applications / avid uninstallers .. there is App Man and Cloud Collab uninstallers in there ..

if PC .. i have no idea ! sorry ..

cheers john

Norad155
07-11-2017, 07:30 AM
yeah I know how to turn it off... just annoying to do it every time I update (because an update turns it back on).... then repeat 25+ times for every machine I manage....

john1192
07-11-2017, 07:45 AM
yeah I know how to turn it off... just annoying to do it every time I update (because an update turns it back on).... then repeat 25+ times for every machine I manage....

yeah, i hear that .. it should be an option to not install .. has anyone brought this up to Avid ?? if not i will ... !!!

imho, the LaunchAgent file toss is the easiest and fasted way .. just one small step while installing new updates ..

and it has to become part of the install process of the above process or using the avid uninstallers ..

TheNeil
07-13-2017, 10:16 AM
There should also be an option in AppManager so if it is installed, one can prevent it from starting up automatically.

I think this'd be a great compromise until they actually make it perform properly.

There's an IdeaScale submissions for this:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/208602

john1192
07-13-2017, 10:27 AM
There should also be an option in AppManager so if it is installed, one can prevent it from starting up automatically.

I think this'd be a great compromise until they actually make it perform properly.

There's an IdeaScale submissions for this:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/208602

if on a MAC .. MacHD (whatever you have it named) / Library / LaunchAgents / move the APP Man file to your desktop .. or toss it if you like but if you want it back you would need to re-install ..

if PC .. maybe someone with that knowledge can chime in .. Ding Ding !!

TheNeil
07-13-2017, 11:20 AM
if on a MAC .. MacHD (whatever you have it named) / Library / LaunchAgents / move the APP Man file to your desktop .. or toss it if you like but if you want it back you would need to re-install ..

Hey John.

I know about that approach, and use it, but we shouldn't have to do that ourselves. Any self-respecting background app (especially one so inefficient) should have an option to disable auto-start so we don't have to mess around with such things behind the scenes.

At least it's possible in the meantime.

Thanks.

john1192
07-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Hey John.

I know about that approach, and use it, but we shouldn't have to do that ourselves. Any self-respecting background app (especially one so inefficient) should have an option to disable auto-start so we don't have to mess around with such things behind the scenes.

At least it's possible in the meantime.

Thanks.

Agreed !!! i will make a suggestion for it ..

and of course better yet .. make it work properly .. not phoning home all the time

clausiii
07-17-2017, 05:35 AM
itīs not randomly anymore here. Its everytime now...

TheNeil
10-26-2017, 05:31 PM
Seems to have got worse for me in v17.10. In fact, I keep trying to open it and every time I do, it quits and brings up terminal instead!

Stupid piece of junk. Never known a company to get just the updater for their software so wrong.

Ray JB
10-27-2017, 02:44 AM
"Currently Sychronizing Account"

It's been doing that since the beginning of the day. I leave it on as a humorous aside, just to see if will actually do anything... :D

17.10 shows me that PT 12.8.1 is current as well. It showed a poss update to 12.8.2 about 4 days ago then it stopped that. BTW I shut down at night and restart in the morning. I tried clearing the cache and still the same. What a joke