PDA

View Full Version : EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680 2GB CUDA Video Card for the Apple Mac Pro with 4K resolution

Barry Johns
04-24-2017, 08:17 AM
I just ordered this video card so that I can take full advantage of my 34" Ultra Widesceen monitor.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680 2GB CUDA Video Card for the Apple Mac Pro with 4K resolution

Does anyone have any experience with this video card? Any potential issues with Protools?

tundra
04-24-2017, 03:48 PM
I just ordered this video card so that I can take full advantage of my 34" Ultra Widesceen monitor.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680 2GB CUDA Video Card for the Apple Mac Pro with 4K resolution

Does anyone have any experience with this video card? Any potential issues with Protools?

a quick google shows this for that card..

RESOLUTION & REFRESH
240Hz Max Refresh Rate
Max Analog: 2048x1536
Max Digital: 2560x1600 (Dual Link DVI Only)

4K is 3840 pixels × 2160

So that card isn't going to give you 4K

tundra
04-24-2017, 03:50 PM
http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2960-RX

this one will though.

for what its worth I am using a 960 (not an evga one though) and it works fine with Pro Tools in my Hackintosh. But I am only running 1080p
No reason why the 970 wouldn't rock it.. and it should work in an old Mac Pro with the NVidia web graphics driver just fine.

Barry Johns
04-24-2017, 04:36 PM
a quick google shows this for that card..

RESOLUTION & REFRESH
240Hz Max Refresh Rate
Max Analog: 2048x1536
Max Digital: 2560x1600 (Dual Link DVI Only)

4K is 3840 pixels × 2160

So that card isn't going to give you 4K

I'm not trying to do 4K, but have confirmed through multiple sources that it can drive 1 4K monitor.

Barry Johns
04-24-2017, 04:38 PM
http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2960-RX

this one will though.

for what its worth I am using a 960 (not an evga one though) and it works fine with Pro Tools in my Hackintosh. But I am only running 1080p
No reason why the 970 wouldn't rock it.. and it should work in an old Mac Pro with the NVidia web graphics driver just fine.

Curious, are you able to get the boot screen with the card?

tundra
04-24-2017, 07:54 PM
I'm not trying to do 4K, but have confirmed through multiple sources that it can drive 1 4K monitor.

Yah it will drive it, at a lower resolution, it would be like using a retina macbook, but using it in the blurry low res mode.

tundra
04-24-2017, 07:55 PM
Curious, are you able to get the boot screen with the card?

Yup. I'm typing from it right now, so it must have booted!

:)

When you first install the refresh rate is very very slow until you install Nvidias macOS driver, and then its super snappy.. running 144hz refresh on a 1080p monitor.

Barry Johns
04-24-2017, 09:07 PM
Yup. I'm typing from it right now, so it must have booted!

:)

When you first install the refresh rate is very very slow until you install Nvidias macOS driver, and then its super snappy.. running 144hz refresh on a 1080p monitor.

Not sure if you realize it or not, but for many Video Cards, if its not mac certified, which usually means more expensive, it will not show the boot screen when booting, which causes issues when doing OS Updates/Restores, things like that. Meaning, you have to replace the video card with an approved one (the one you removed before upgrading most likely), doing the OS update, then putting the better card back in. Its a sacrifice that people endure, to save some cash. That's why I was asking, as I did not want to have to deal with the hassle.

::F-L-E-X::
04-24-2017, 11:21 PM
Very happy EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680 user here...

I bought a (used) Mac edition for peace of mind, but it's essentially the same as the flashed version. The drivers for 680's are built in to most Mac OS's, (unlike a lot of more recent cards), so no need to worry about the boot screen issue.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00730/

I'm only using my GTX 680 at 1920x1200, so can't comment on higher resolutions, but it's a big improvement on my ATI 5770 (snappier metering, quieter fan etc)...

I'd recommend trying a few different cables - I went through a few (expensive) displayport & HDMI cables... only to find I preferred the image quality of a cheap HDMI cable! (I also prefer the image quality of the OS drivers vs the Web drivers - probably more stable too)!

29CountsNY
04-25-2017, 04:45 AM
Hey Barry,

Another happy owner of the Mac edition of that video card.
I am using it to drive a 40" 4K TV, but at 1080p, not 4K.
The card will not do 4K through an HDMI output at 60Hz, it will only do 30Hz.
Might not bother some but it was not ideal for me, for where the monitor was located. When I set it to 4K resolution, everything was so small my aging eyes were having major issues so I went with 1080p.
It works for me, the card looks pretty crisp at that resolution. But I will say that the whole reason I went with a 40" screen was because I was having issues with my dual 24" monitors and seeing them as I got older.
Haven't had any issues with graphics lag or anything else on my upgraded Mac Pro.

tundra
04-25-2017, 01:00 PM
Not sure if you realize it or not, but for many Video Cards, if its not mac certified, which usually means more expensive, it will not show the boot screen when booting, which causes issues when doing OS Updates/Restores, things like that. Meaning, you have to replace the video card with an approved one (the one you removed before upgrading most likely), doing the OS update, then putting the better card back in. Its a sacrifice that people endure, to save some cash. That's why I was asking, as I did not want to have to deal with the hassle.

You missed the part where I said I am running a hackintosh.
My system boots fine, faster then the Trash Can I have at work (the M.2 drive I have is way faster then the mac pro).. but this is for another forum.

mac certified is baloney. has been for while now.

Barry Johns
04-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Just finished installing the video card. I was really surprised how big and heavy it was compared to the stock video card.

Man this card makes my new 34" Wide Screen LG monitor look amazing!!!!!!!

Worth every cent I paid for both the Card and the Monitor.

Everything is snappy and crisp!

Southsidemusic
04-28-2017, 01:47 PM
Barry, i have an older Mac Pro 5.1 32GB Ram and Two SSD samsung inside and need to see if that will run HDX as I want atleast one HDX rig at home and wanna see if that works or if I need to get a third trashcan so what did the card come from and what model ??

Thanks a million

Barry Johns
04-28-2017, 04:58 PM
Barry, i have an older Mac Pro 5.1 32GB Ram and Two SSD samsung inside and need to see if that will run HDX as I want atleast one HDX rig at home and wanna see if that works or if I need to get a third trashcan so what did the card come from and what model ??

Thanks a million

Mine was used, so no idea what computer it was previously in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221529234033?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Southsidemusic
04-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Mine was used, so no idea what computer it was previously in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221529234033?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thank you very much for the help Barry. I will get the same card and hold on to hope that it works as well as yours do.

Will report as soon as i have installed it. Thanks again :-)