PDA

View Full Version : Latency with Steven Slate sgear Amp sim

rdpar
04-24-2017, 06:50 AM
Anybody using the Steven Slate sgear guitar amp simulator? I'm having trouble with latency. Way too much delay and very irritating:):)

junkgear
04-24-2017, 06:58 AM
What is your audio interface and what are its settings?
You typically need a pretty small buffer setting to get the latency numbers low enough to use a software amp sim in real time.
I could usually live with a 4-5 ms latency by setting up my firewire interface with a buffer of 256. You'll have to play around and see what your system is capable of.

rdpar
04-24-2017, 07:55 AM
At my current location I am using a cheap behringer interface but I can set the buffer to 256 which does not solve the problem for me. If I use the sim as a stand alone it works fine but trying to use it in pro tools 12.xxx it's totally not acceptable. I see a couple youtube vids where it seems to work fine but they don't give you the settings.

Southsidemusic
04-24-2017, 08:20 AM
We use it a lot as we have Slate everything bundle at 128/256 on macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and HD 12.7.1 with no issues at all. At 128 buffer it sails so osmething is not correct on your end.

Maybe it is that Behringer drivers that doesn't live up to scratch. No surprise should it be that.

Which PC are you using as the sig says two different ones.

rdpar
04-24-2017, 08:36 AM
yup could be the behringer drivers (allasio). works fine stand alone just real bad latency in protools

Southsidemusic
04-24-2017, 08:50 AM
yup could be the behringer drivers (allasio). works fine stand alone just real bad latency in protools

Sorry to hear that.

Does low latency work on Instrument tracks in PT ?

rdpar
04-24-2017, 08:54 AM
Sgear doesn't show up as an instrument. Just as a harmonic plug.
I also use steven slate drums and there is no latency on instrument tracks there.

Barry Johns
04-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Sgear doesn't show up as an instrument. Just as a harmonic plug.
I also use steven slate drums and there is no latency on instrument tracks there.

Do you have any plugins on the master fader when trying to track through the SGear?

Any latency you have is not related to the plugin, that I can assure you.

Take a screenshot of your session and post it here.

rdpar
04-24-2017, 10:14 AM
I am totally lost now. For some reason when pro tools is running I can't take a screen shot of it. I can take a screen shot of everything else but not pro tools screen. That has never happened before. not my day apparently. I can't get any signal to the sgear now either. I insert it as a plug in and nothing. I tried outputting my input channel to another audio track with the sgear on that track and nothing. Strange that I was getting signal to the sgear , just bad delay , and now nothing no matter what I've tried. As a stand alone sgear works great. AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!!!!

rdpar
04-24-2017, 02:39 PM
OK I GOT IT. Have no idea why all of a sudden it works. yay got print screen with snipit tool also:)

DHL
04-24-2017, 03:17 PM
I'm looking at your picture on an iPad, so I can't see anything too clearly, but I would start by disabling all instances of VTM while tracking.

Audiofarm
04-24-2017, 05:36 PM
He he! You must have a heck of latency going on there. It's not enough to bypass the plugins on the master fader. You have to disable them. Press cntr and cmd and click on the slots. Or right click and choose make inactive or something like that.

RiF
04-25-2017, 11:08 AM
You can let PT show the amount of delay induced by the plugins on each track. Ctrl-click (iirc) on the little text near the faders in the mix view that says "vol" until it shows "dly". Or check the View menu for the same function (View > Mix Window > Delay Compensation).
For full info refer to the manual, chapter "Mixing -> Basic Mixing -> Delay Compensation".

If the number right of "dly" shows anything more than a one digit number, you have a delay-inducing plugin inserted. Deactivate it (not just bypass!) when recording.
And check your master fader for the total amount of delay you're hearing.