PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a MC Control v2 with no screen flicker?

clarocque
03-18-2011, 09:16 PM
I am looking for feedback for anyone who has a v2 MC Control where the LCD is not flickering.

I had a v1 and there were no flickers. I upgraded (well not sure it was an upgrade) to v2 to get better viewing angle, and better response. I got both of those but I also got an annoying flicker in the the LCD screen. I have had three (3) v2 MC Controls all with the same flickering screens.

I am wondering if it is worth the hassle to keep exchanging. I am hoping I can get one that does not have this problem (if possible).

Let me know how your v2 is working...

clarocque
04-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Anyone???

Eric Lambert
04-03-2011, 12:28 AM
I don't have any flicker that I"m aware of.

GW
04-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Same here.

Led
04-03-2011, 02:09 AM
Hi Clarocque, do you notice flicker on other led screens? Some people are more sensitive to led flicker than others. Not making excuses for Euphonix, but it's something to consider. Have you looked at some other Led screens like Imacs to see if they flicker for you too?

Picture Start
04-04-2011, 12:15 PM
They all have flicker, unless you view it from 90-degrees. I'm told by Euphonix this is normal behavior.

clarocque
04-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks guys nice to know there are some out there with out this problem. I guess I will keep making Avid replace mine.

I have no problems with other LCD screens, I have many LCD (too many), and my v1 MC Control did not flicker.

All of my v2 screens flicker (3 different units now). On my screens it is MUCh worse at 90 degrees. Gets better the further back you are (lower angle).

I am very disappointed as Avid/Euphonix has replaced them and told me that they are aware the the LCD screens in v2 have this problem. ANd they also told me they have nothing in the works to fix it.

So I did not want to keep swapping them out if it was simply ALL MC Control v2 units.

Bill Denton
04-05-2011, 03:31 AM
Didn't I read that the v2 has LED screens?

If so, the viewing characteristics would be different from the v1 LCD's...

clarocque
04-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Yes I believe they are LED.

It is definitely a different viewing, in fact the v2 has a much better looking screen. But, all of my v2 units have also had a very annoying flicker on the center of the LCD. It seems to be worse on the lower to bottom portion. The sides near the encoders seem to be fine.

It is like looking at a screen with a fast moving fan above it or like an old florescent light bulb is lighting it.

musicman691
04-07-2011, 08:56 AM
If it's truly an led screen in the newest version then what is probably being done to save power and have less heat generation is the panel is actually being strobed on and off at a fast rate that normally wouldn't be noticeable. Something that would make it noticeable (assuming that the unit itself isn't malfunctioning but given other problems with these units I wouldn't discount that) is the overhead lighting. Flourescent lights (because they actually flicker at a rate synchronous with the mains frequency) can make flicker in something noticeable. That goes for whether you have the normal long tube flourescent or those infernal cfl's.

clarocque
04-07-2011, 09:00 AM
I do not have fluorescent lights, in fact is is there even with no room lighting.

Spoke to Sweetwater about it again and they advised it is common. I have tried 3 units so don't think it is a specific bad unit.

Just bad hardware/design.

:(

appledude
04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
I did not even notice mine flickered until this thread. It is so minute I did not notice it. I have to pick it up and look straight at it to tell it flickers.

clarocque
04-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Wish I had to do that to see it in mine. If I look straight in it, it gets worse.

Glad yours is healthy ;)

smellyengine
04-08-2011, 09:54 AM
I've been using the mc2 for a few months now, with pt9 and yep....the flicker is there, always has been and for the money it's pretty darn annoying...along with all the other niggles.

robertg
04-09-2011, 11:29 AM
This is pretty discouraging to read. I was considering the addition of an Mc control, but probably not if the screen is going to flicker.

clarocque
04-09-2011, 03:42 PM
This is pretty discouraging to read. I was considering the addition of an Mc control, but probably not if the screen is going to flicker.

Yes it is - I just did another session with another engineer and he noticed it (and hated it) right off....

It is to the point where I am thinking of removing it or blacking out the main screen --- too bad.

GW
04-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Could there be anyway of screendoubling with an iPad via Bluetooth?

(Just an idea out of the blue, since this problem obviously is very distracting and annoying and takes away your focus from the the process of musicmaking)

clarocque
04-10-2011, 07:27 PM
I would love to replace my MC Control with something like this....

This would be awesome with my 4 MIxes and Transport... just make it replicate the screen and the rotary encoders.

Mock Up (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/high-end/218305d1296920855-building-poors-man-euphonix-system-5-mc-w-pics-if-euphonix-wanted-rule-world.jpg)

Bill Denton
04-11-2011, 03:50 AM
I would love to replace my MC Control with something like this....

This would be awesome with my 4 MIxes and Transport... just make it replicate the screen and the rotary encoders.

Mock Up (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/high-end/218305d1296920855-building-poors-man-euphonix-system-5-mc-w-pics-if-euphonix-wanted-rule-world.jpg)

What an absolutely incredible idea!

Why, just this morning I've spoken to at least 50 A-list engineers who've told me they been searching all over for a means of increasing the physical stress of their jobs. Having to turn their heads sideways while mixing should certainly do the trick!

After all, if it don't hurt, it ain't art...:D

appledude
04-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Like I said my flicker does not even bother me. I wouldn't even noticed it t all if I hadn't looked really hard for it. So far I really like mine. It does give you that hands on control.

clarocque
04-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Like I said my flicker does not even bother me. I wouldn't even noticed it t all if I hadn't looked really hard for it. So far I really like mine. It does give you that hands on control.

Appledude,

Unfortunately I do not have to look for my flicker it is in your face. Maybe I should tell them I want another one maybe 4th one is a charm...

appledude
04-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Why don't you post a video so we can see this flicker? I am really curious to see how bad it is. Have you tried to adjust the brightness in the Eucontrol preference panel? Mine seems to be the grey areas and when the brightness is set to the middle, it does not flicker anymore.

clarocque
04-14-2011, 08:06 AM
I tried making a video but the video makes it worse, and that is not a fair representation of the issue.

The video was showing line swipes across the screen like an old crt and that was only w/ video.

On the unit it is the center to center bottom that flickers like a fast fluorescent light. Yes I have tried the brightness and it does not make much difference.

Sometimes it is worse than at other times even with the same screen. Trust me I do try to ignore it as I have built a nice custom desk around this unit, I really want it to work. I was hoping I was just being over sensitive to it but seriously another engineer who has never used Artist units before sat down the other day and was immediately annoyed by it (and I have never told him about it).